PDA

View Full Version : engine thoughts

gaukel350x
11-26-2007, 07:08 PM
since my dad bought a mazda rx 7, it got me thinking why dont they build a rotary engine for all the new quad and bikes. cause my dads rx is a freaking screamer and if they put them in bikes that would be nucking futs.

RedRider_AK
11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
The engine companies experimented with rotary engines in sleds back in the early 80's/late 70's. I dunno, I remember reading something about them not having great revving power, but lots of torque.

storm_impulse
11-26-2007, 07:19 PM
i figure they may try rotary again some time. hell they already have quads that are fuel injected. what else is there to try?

RedRider_AK
11-26-2007, 07:23 PM
i figure they may try rotary again some time. hell they already have quads that are fuel injected. what else is there to try?

Well, rotary and EFI are hugely different. One of them is a relatively simple fuel management modification, the other requires complete retooling of 100% of your engine manufacturing. There are no parts identical in a rotary engine.

It may also be a patent? I think Mazda patented the rotary engine as their own, and now nobody but them can sell a rotary engine...

gaukel350x
11-26-2007, 07:28 PM
ya but just imangine if it worked, mazda would make bank

Tri-Z Pilot
11-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I know that some jet ski-s and sleds run a rotax rotary engine. I believe Bombardier has something to do with it.

RedRider_AK
11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, searching Wikipedia for "Wankel engine" told me some interesting stuff.

Wankel engines are less fuel efficient than piston type engines. There were a few street-type bikes built with Wankel engines, most famous of all the Suzuki RE5 cruiser (500cc), which only got 30 mpg or so, which is about half to 1/3 of what normal cruiser type bikes get.

SWIGIN
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
rotary motors make no torque

storm_impulse
11-26-2007, 09:17 PM
rotary motors make no torque

maybe not with a standard engine but with a twin turbo setup or a big single turbo setup they make huge torque, thats why the rx-7 is one of the most bought cars for drifting. i like em cause cause they sound like a big ass weed eater:lol:

The Goat
11-27-2007, 08:02 PM
mazda can't have patented the rotary...that style of engine has been out since at least the 20s. i'm almost positive the old airplane's had em.

thefox
11-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Well, searching Wikipedia for "Wankel engine" told me some interesting stuff.

Wankel engines are less fuel efficient than piston type engines. There were a few street-type bikes built with Wankel engines, most famous of all the Suzuki RE5 cruiser (500cc), which only got 30 mpg or so, which is about half to 1/3 of what normal cruiser type bikes get.

I saw a nice RE5 at Iron Pony Morotsports in Columbus Ohio, it was there on display from the AMA museum. Interesting bike but looks like your riding a brick, can you say heavy! So much stuff cramed in there!

Nick_R_23
11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Wankel motors were used in the old 70's Coleman Skiroule snowmachines also....in fact we still have 2-3 of them still beatin around.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

84honda200s
11-27-2007, 09:04 PM
I know that some jet ski-s and sleds run a rotax rotary engine. I believe Bombardier has something to do with it.

no rotax sled engines use a rotary valve. good solid engines. ive always loved rotax engines. all i pretty much owned were ski doo sleds.

84honda200s
11-27-2007, 09:08 PM
mazda can't have patented the rotary...that style of engine has been out since at least the 20s. i'm almost positive the old airplane's had em.

ak is rite. mazda bought rites to the motor along time ago. ill see if i can dig up some information. i remember watching it on modern marvels a while ago. i think it was on the "automobile" or something like that.

storm_impulse
11-27-2007, 09:16 PM
what about those really really old winde up cars? they sure didnt run off a pistons cause they didnt need gas. had to be rotary powered.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-27-2007, 10:07 PM
what about those really really old winde up cars? they sure didnt run off a pistons cause they didnt need gas. had to be rotary powered.

Yeah they did, its just that they didnt have the technology for starters back then so you had to hand start your crank to get the motor going. Pistons went way back even to the early 1800's but they ran off of steam then. I think Adolfus Diesel was the first one to invent internal combustion and that is where your diesel tech stems from today.

RedRider_AK
11-27-2007, 10:32 PM

WTF? what do you think rotary engine run off of, air and happy memories?!

Those olden-days cars were hand-started, but they used the same old internal combustion engine technology. I remember reading once that they were very dangerous and could break your arm if you weren't careful with the cranking.

The Goat
11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
friend of mine has a model A with the crank restoed.... those old ads with a picture of a tiny woman cranking it. i'm sorry, but she'd have to be one BIG woman. i can deadlift every bit of 375 pounds (nowhere near what it was in highschool unfortunately)...and when that thing catches compression...yeah...OW

and i didn't know they had bought the rights...was this like original company or what?

RedRider_AK
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
i didn't know they had bought the rights...was this like original company or what?

I don't think they bought the rights to the whole setup of rotary engine manufacturing. There's lots of companies that make industrial/aviation rotary engines.

Nick_R_23
11-28-2007, 07:54 PM
We have a friend that has an UNRESTORED Model T, looks like it literally rolled off the showroom floor. Just sits in the shop. Sweet cars for sure. They also have one of the original Austin Minis.

My grandpa also has a 1929 (I think) John Deere tractor that uses a crank, I gotta agree with The Goat, even that things a PITA to turn over.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

84honda200s
11-28-2007, 08:05 PM
ok guys i was wrong i admit it. here is as link to some info about the rotary engine.

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/rotary/story/index.html

The Goat
11-29-2007, 05:14 AM
shh...you weren't wrong. you were misinformed. lol.

84honda200s
11-29-2007, 08:16 AM
shh...you weren't wrong. you were misinformed. lol.

lol close enough to wrong for me.

cody2
11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
I saw a nice RE5 at Iron Pony Morotsports in Columbus Ohio, it was there on display from the AMA museum. Interesting bike but looks like your riding a brick, can you say heavy! So much stuff cramed in there!

How fast are those things? Compared to a normal 500cc, and a cr500?

RedRider_AK
11-29-2007, 04:31 PM
How fast are those things? Compared to a normal 500cc, and a cr500?

Comparing apples to oranges there man. It's a cruiser, it'll probably hit 100 or so mph but it will take ages to get there.