PDA

View Full Version : 1974 Panther VIP 440

ATCwithdrawals
11-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Anyone have one of these laying around for parts. I need some coils.Its got a torque-a-matic transmission instead of drive clutches and belt.

Chevy200s
11-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Hey nice sled man those are pretty hard to find. Love the transmission on them too, I've never seen another kind of sled with that style. Anyways, I know a guy who just restored one of those he might have or know somewere to get parts or a parts sled, I'll let you know what I find out.

RedRider_AK
11-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Torque-A-Matic? How does that work?

honda250sx
11-30-2007, 12:17 AM
I have one. I have alot of parts for them, especially seals for the torque converter and the dropcase. They work with a torque converter as state mounted to the end of the crankshaft. They use ATF for a fluid. These machines are smooth and very powerful. Pull a car out of ditch powerful! I only have one set of coils and a cdi left NOS out of a cat dealer I bought out. Be careful as these machines like to short out the cdi and coils and electrify the handlebars! ATCwithdrawls please check vintagesleds.com classified sections and post for parts. Great guys over there i have been there since its inception. I will post pics of my VIP when i get back home, currently out of town on business. These are sweet sleds and a blast to ride! I have a ton of experience with these sleds.

RedRider_AK
11-30-2007, 12:23 AM
They work with a torque converter as state mounted to the end of the crankshaft. They use ATF for a fluid. These machines are smooth and very powerful.

Like a car automatic tranny torque converter? How many speeds does it have? What's it top out at?

ATCwithdrawals
11-30-2007, 11:24 PM
I have one. I have alot of parts for them, especially seals for the torque converter and the dropcase. They work with a torque converter as state mounted to the end of the crankshaft. They use ATF for a fluid. These machines are smooth and very powerful. Pull a car out of ditch powerful! I only have one set of coils and a cdi left NOS out of a cat dealer I bought out. Be careful as these machines like to short out the cdi and coils and electrify the handlebars! ATCwithdrawls please check vintagesleds.com classified sections and post for parts. Great guys over there i have been there since its inception. I will post pics of my VIP when i get back home, currently out of town on business. These are sweet sleds and a blast to ride! I have a ton of experience with these sleds.

my sled had no spark, so I pulled the flywheel and tested the internal coils and found the Exciter coil bad, so replaced it and still no spark. Had an old snowmobile mechanic tell me they were known to lose there cdi's not so much as the coils. any ideas?

honda250sx
12-01-2007, 10:13 AM
I would guess CDI. Have you posted on the site i had formentioned? Great site just like what we have here only completely for vintage sleds! They were known for CDI's for sure. They would charge the handlebars when they went bad my old cat mechanic ace tells me.

toocheaptosmoke
12-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I would guess CDI. Have you posted on the site i had formentioned? Great site just like what we have here only completely for vintage sleds! They were known for CDI's for sure. They would charge the handlebars when they went bad my old cat mechanic ace tells me.

What's your name over on vintagesleds? You're right, there's a lot of knowledgeable people on there. :beer

honda250sx
12-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Mine is TJETMAN. Yours is the same:)