PDA

View Full Version : Fix 'Em Right

The Dark 1
12-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and just wanted to give you a little advice on not getting hurt with your trike. I bought a fixer upper back in July and was fooling around with it when the unthinkable happened. I went to start the bike and move it around to the backyard, when it happened. I reached out and pulled the rope when the engine pulled back. Sounds familiar huh pull start guys? The only thing different was that it pulled my ring finger completely backwards. At first I tought it was just sprained really bad. 9 days later I finally went to doctor and it was not only broken, but I had pulled the tendon off the tip of my finger as well. It had rolled down to the palm and needed surgery to repair. I only have 80% usage and that may be all I get. This surgery is really tricky and 80% is all you usually get. I work with my hands everyday and ALL my hobbies are with my hands. This could have been prevented if I'd just bought the decompression cable and new pull start. But, I didn't want to spend the 200 dollars on an old bike. Thank God for insurance, my part of the bill will be close to $2000 and the surgery by itself was over $17,500!!! Add in the physical therapy, lost time at work, office visits, x-rays, etc. and of course the PAIN! Anyway, check out the pictures, but don't eat first.

SYKO
12-02-2007, 12:25 AM
and another sensless victom of a dangerous trike! glad you made out at least with your life!

chris200x
12-02-2007, 12:27 AM
As someone else one said. "welcome to three finger world. com :lol: :welcome:

looks like it hurts like hell. :eek: wasn't there a member here that kept his severed finger preserved in a whisky bottle? :wondering :crazy:

ATC-Eric
12-02-2007, 01:17 AM
looks like it hurts like hell. :eek: wasn't there a member here that kept his severed finger preserved in a whisky bottle? :wondering :crazy:

Yep. That guy reached down for the carb while he was driving, and caught the chain instead :eek:

Really sucks about your finger dude. Hope you heal up quick.

RedRider_AK
12-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Jeez, I know exactly what you mean! My Big Bear always threatens to tear my arm out of its socket when I pull start it!

Hope you make out well!

BigReds Forever
12-02-2007, 01:44 AM
My pops has a kodiak 450 and it has a backup pull start which i thought i would try out one day just for the heck of it... BIG MISTAKE... that 450 has MAD compression!

RedRider_AK
12-02-2007, 05:40 AM
My pops has a kodiak 450 and it has a backup pull start which i thought i would try out one day just for the heck of it... BIG MISTAKE... that 450 has MAD compression!

Theres a technique to doing it. You have to pull the handle out until it stops, then let off a tiny bit and FORCEFULLY pull it out, but not jerk it out. I believe those Kodiaks and stuff only have 9:1 compression (I think my Big Bear has 8.5:1 or some other low number), but the auto decompression only kicks in if you do it right. Try it and it'll work.

chris200x
12-02-2007, 09:25 AM
RUM ! The ex's rum she left behind that she never come back for.
Yeah, `185-s Honda's also have a snappy pull starter on the left side of the engine and teeth just below ~ yikes.

Welcome aboard Dark 1 john

:eek: Remind me not to drink if I ever stop by your house! LMAO!!! :lol:

Derrick Adams
12-02-2007, 11:31 AM
John, you are one crazy dude. I'm still laughing at that picture. Holy smokes.

Erics350x
12-02-2007, 05:55 PM
As someone else one said. "welcome to three finger world. com
Thats some funny sheet