PDA

View Full Version : Checking out the new guy

ccdhowell
12-04-2007, 01:14 AM
As you may have read in my previous thread "Thinking out loud; sport quads", after much deliberation, I bought a '88 Suzuki Quadracer on Sunday. It's nothing to look at, but seems sound enough, it runs pretty well. I gave it a quick once-over this evening and made a bare minimum parts list, I promised the wife that I would keep this a budget racer. The short list is: front master cylinder, one inner tie rod end, chain and sprockets, air filter, and supplies to clean-up and cut the fenders and some paint to touch things up a bit.

I had it in the garage, I rolled the Tecate and the still unfinished Big Red up to meet the new guy. The Tecate went imediately into the playground bully routine, tried to push the QR around a bit to establish itself as the tried and true local speed demon. The Big Red just stood there silent and strong watching the QR, trying to size it up. I'm a little worried tonight though, I heard the Tecate growl when I turned out the lights and came inside.:lol: :lol: :twisted:

Here's some pics I took of my little old school family.

AttoirRE
12-04-2007, 10:18 AM
I've ridden that exact quadracer before Will owned it. It's a fun bike. Ya' shoulda' told me you were gonna come up so we could have met.

ccdhowell
12-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Ya' shoulda' told me you were gonna come up so we could have met.

I didn't even think about it. I was worried what the wife would say with me putting down the money on a new toy this close to Christmas. We'll have to get together and ride when the weather warms up.

Chris

Lomax
12-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Looks like the Tecate took a Bite out of the fender. I dont remember it being broke that bad. :)

MyMistress86R
12-05-2007, 02:39 PM
LOL That cracks me up. You'll have to set up a hidden camera and see if any chest(frame) bumping goes on at night to establish dominance.

Good score though. Nice little stable your building there. Now just go find a decent Yamaha to add to the collection and your garage will be quite well rounded.

BTW...I hate your Tecate...LOL Through half a dozen passes, no matter what I did, I just couldn't edge you out in the TF07 drag warm-ups. So close a couple of times, but just couldn't put it all together right to get it done. :beer

BigGreenMachine
12-05-2007, 03:05 PM
88 RM 250 motor is a good swap for those LT250R's. Wee!

Nice ride Chris!

ccdhowell
12-06-2007, 12:25 AM
BTW...I hate your Tecate...LOL Through half a dozen passes, no matter what I did, I just couldn't edge you out in the TF07 drag warm-ups. So close a couple of times, but just couldn't put it all together right to get it done. :beer

Was that on your '86R? I don't really remember everyone in the "red parade". :wondering I guess then you'd be sorry to hear that it is now much quicker than at TF. 39PWK carb vs. stock 34 at TF, 13.5:1 compression on race gas vs. 10.5:1 on 93 octaine at TF. This thing now leaps out from under you like a lion leaping on a cape buffalo for the kill.:twisted: :D

See you at TF08?:Bounce

And just for the record, I have 2 Yamaha quads that my kids ride, a '85 Badger 80 and a '03 Breeze 125.

Chris

ccdhowell
12-06-2007, 12:26 AM
88 RM 250 motor is a good swap for those LT250R's. Wee!

Nice ride Chris!

Thanks James. What would be the advantage with a RM250 motor swap? These Zuki 2-strokes are new to me, don't know the ins and outs of what they are and what does what yet. Do tell.

Chris

BigGreenMachine
12-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Same principle as the KX cylinder swap into the Tecate.

A newer RM would be better still. haha

ccdhowell
12-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Is it a direct bolt-in? Can I just swap the cylinder? I'm a believer of the KX swap.

MyMistress86R
12-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I was on my '86. Same one as my avatar, but I believe I had my headlight on at the time. The only way you would recognize it would be from the side or looking over your shoulder...lol.

cr480r
12-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Is it a direct bolt-in? Can I just swap the cylinder? I'm a believer of the KX swap.

It doesnt bolt in, and you will lose the headlights, 6th gear, and the counterbalancer... And the pipe will not connect... The sacrifices is not worth the gains IMO... The only RM cylinder that will swap onto your existing bottom end is from a 1986 RM250... And I can tell you from experience that it is hardly worth the hassle considering a ported LT cylinder will make more power...

ccdhowell
12-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Loose 6th gear...counterbalancer...don't want to loose those things. I can tell the counterbalancer really cuts down on the vibrations compared to the Tecate engine. I haven't gotten it up to 6th gear yet, but I'm sure I will soon enough. Right now I'm not really focusing on the engine; seems to me that an engine with decent power and is reliable is the way to go. I'm focusing on the suspension. I scored a new pair of front shocks off a LT450R and a rebuilt stock rear shock. More in the suspension department to come.

Chris

cr480r
12-06-2007, 11:19 PM
What pipe and carb do you have?

ccdhowell
12-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Stock pipe with FMF silencer and a Kehein 38 Air Stryker carb. Guy I got it from just put the carb on, less than a full tank of gas through it. It seems a little too much for the stock pipe, I'm looking into a FMF pipe to match the silencer.

cr480r
12-07-2007, 05:23 PM
I ran a 35mm air striker on my stock motor with an fmf pipe, a slight bump in compression, and v-force2's... It was a great set-up for the woods... I hear the paul turner mid range is even better for low-mid range torque... I ran a PT rev and it was much faster than the fmf, but the low-end was not near as good as the fmf

ccdhowell
12-08-2007, 02:07 AM
They want a good piece of change for the Paul Turner pipe and from their website, it looks like you have to use their silencer so I think I'll stick with FMF, since I have a FMF silencer already. I was wondering though, have you heard of anyone running the DG pipe on these? I have a DG pipe on my Tecate and really like it.

cr480r
12-08-2007, 03:11 AM
. I was wondering though, have you heard of anyone running the DG pipe on these? I have a DG pipe on my Tecate and really like it.

I tried a DG after picking one up cheap on ebay... I soon realize why it was so cheap... I dont know if it was any better than a stock one... I had one on my tecate also and it worked well for that application... The FMF's for the LT arent the greatest either, but should work well for your application woods, trails, mx, etc