PDA

View Full Version : polaris prop shaft question

ovhonda1
12-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Anybody know if the front prop shaft on a polaris scramler 500 can be bent back in to shape? Mine has a small bend in it. It still works but is rubbing and making a popping noise. The entire assemble will run me about 225. Trying to avoid this.

madmanwithmouse
12-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I dont see why not, If you have a press. Seeing how its already bent you cant relly hurt it.

MTS
12-05-2007, 10:29 PM
You might be able to true it back up with a press and some v blocks.....better be perfect tho or you will prematurely fry Yokes and bearings, not that you arnt allredy with it being bent,,, What did you hit a tree n bend the frame or something?

ovhonda1
12-06-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't know what happened. I bought the thing and a couple of months ago for the GFriend and it was fine. Haven't really ridden much. Rode around in the yard a couple of weeks back and started making popping noises. After searching, I found that it is hitting the frame becasue the shaft is bent. No wrecks at all. I'm puzzled. MUst have been bent already and eventually gave way enough to where I can hear it? Hoping that the ujoints aren't bad yet. Going to take it apart this weekend.

Bryan Raffa
12-06-2007, 08:58 AM
the U joint might be shot allowing it to slide over, giving the appearance that its bent. popping, crunching, clicking.. sounds like the joint is shot..it would take alot to bend that short shaft

also check and see if the bolts for the front diff are loose.. letting the the diff get cocked and put stress on the U joint

inspect all the round hocky puck motor mounts too