PDA

View Full Version : banshees?

The Goat
12-08-2007, 05:45 AM
who has one? what do they think of them as far as reliability and near stock performance? also...about how much should a decent banshee cost. i'm looking for another project and i love the way the newer banshees look.

Mrs.Mosh
12-08-2007, 08:53 AM
We have owned like 4-5 over the years.

I still have mine,Moshman,traded his for a TRX 250R.
If the right guy sets them up properly,they are very reliable.Great for trails and hillclimbing, and dunes.
They are not any good on a MX track tough.
You can find newer, 2003 and up Shee's with some pipes and tires and other minor mods in good shape, for anywhere between 2000 and 3000 bucks.
You can get older, 1999 and lower years barely ridden for around 1500 bucks if you look hard enough.
And from 1991 and up,there was no major changes to the machines.Just small stuff,like harness connections and appearence stuff.

For some reason,all the Shee's from 1993 to 2000 seem to be diehards.Theory is, they were built better.

For drag racing the 88-90 years were lighter by like 30 some pounds,because the frames were a J-arm design.Those years would be better for drag racing,and all the 88-89 motors we have had, run stronger than the newer engines.

None of ours have ever had any major problems. Good maintenance is the key.

chris200x
12-08-2007, 10:37 AM
I rode a banshee for the first time a few weeks ago and I was pretty impressd. this was a 2005 model (blue and white) and had some minor mods. (pipe, open K&N's, fresh topend, coolhead, etc...). Lots of power there. probably more than you'd ever be able to use for the trails.

The guy tried selling it to me for $2300 and it's in pretty decent shape. Does that sound about right pricewise? Not that I'm intrested in owning a quad. LOL

Mosh
12-08-2007, 10:45 AM
2300 sounds like a stellar price for a 2003 with pipes and coolhead.Pics always tell the tale.

edog
12-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I rode a banshee for the first time a few weeks ago and I was pretty impressd. this was a 2005 model (blue and white) and had some minor mods. (pipe, open K&N's, fresh topend, coolhead, etc...). Lots of power there. probably more than you'd ever be able to use for the trails.

The guy tried selling it to me for $2300 and it's in pretty decent shape. Does that sound about right pricewise? Not that I'm intrested in owning a quad. LOL

Owning a "quad" ow that sounds like a dirty word is not relly all that bad.

I would love to own a 1988 TRX 250R.:w00t:

My second pic would be a Banshee!:eek: maybe first:eek:

chris200x
12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I can probably get some pics for anyone that's intrested. the quad's located in Freeland PA (northeast pa) about 10 minutes from my house. I probably would buy the thing if I had the cash. Its in pretty good shape still. I think he said it was a 05 model... but I could be wrong. I'm not to familiar with the color schemes of each year.

Yeah edoggy I know owning a quad isn't a sin. I've owned alot of them in the past. I just find trikes much more appealing and chalenging to ride. I also like the looks I get from other riders out on the trails. I'd get the trx before a banshee anyday of the week.

edog
12-08-2007, 10:52 AM
I can probably get some pics for anyone that's intrested. the quad's located in Freeland PA (northeast pa) about 10 minutes from my house. I probably would buy the thing if I had the cash. Its in pretty good shape still.

Pics would be great!

Mosh
12-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I have had the shee and the TRX.
Really I cant say one is any better than the other for overall machines.
Depends on what you want to use the quad for I guess.
The Honda flat out blows the shee away in handling and jumping.
But I sure do miss that twin cylinder power when hillclimbing.
Hopefully I will be hopping up the engine on my TRX this winter.Maybe that will help the power issue I am used to.

The Goat
12-08-2007, 05:34 PM
for now it is just speculation...i may be picking up an air R soon. so who knows. idk, love the look of the stock shees, i don't jump so that's no biggie, it would honestly just be something to flat out hall ass on. i'll have my 200x for a daily rider.

what's the deal with the TORS? is it a rev limiter or what?

smokinwrench
12-08-2007, 09:46 PM
what's the deal with the TORS? is it a rev limiter or what?

Its a throttle over ride system. It is designed to kill the engine if tors unit doesnt match what the throttle is saying. Best thing you can do is buy the eleminator kit from Rocky Mtn atv.

I owned a 1996 banshee it was by far the fastest quickest atv I have ever owned but it was by far the most unreliable. I am a trail rider all the way and I hated it. The handling was horrible in trails, front end dips all the time that causes the back end to buck then you have to slow down and start all over again. I rebuilt the trans twice in a few months because it would blow 2nd gear apart, it was far from stock.

If I would ever buy anoher banshee to keep, it would get a set of low end pipes, cool head because they all puke water and run hot, after market front end and shocks.