PDA

View Full Version : 250SX rear suspesion upgrade ideas????!!!

Dirtcrasher
10-26-2002, 10:31 AM
Ok, anyone who owns an SX realizes how much fun they are to ride and enginewise seem bulletproof, so although I'd love a 350x I'm keeping this one. We can upgrade our front end to a 200x 0r 350x fork set up, but are limited in the rear department. A couple years ago I modified mine to accept a 200x rear shock. Moved the battery back, grinded the top mount and machined a new lower mount to use the stock mounting. But it sucked, why? I'm assuming because I used it as linkless shock but on the 200x it has linkage ratios which allow it to work smoothly throughout the stroke. Other than machining and welding all kinds of mounts and expirementing with ratios,linkages and such, has anyone ever successfully done anything with the rear suspension? There is plenty of room to move that battery another 6 inches back and up also. What about a KTM or similar linkless shock with just a top and bottom mount change? Yes I know the overall travel needs to be about the same due to the differential u joints and there limits but with a blown stockie these trikes mosh all the way up without a disaster! :shock:

MR ATC
10-26-2002, 05:44 PM
First i need to correct you. the 200X dose not use a linkage system. it has a locator bracket but it is not linkage. the reason's the shock "sucked" are many 1. the 250sx weighs more then the 200X therefore the spring rate was not correct. 2. the shock was most likely used and well worn out. 3. you probably did not put it at the same angle and distance as it was desighned to be at. therefore the internal valving was not correct.

Now on to your problem if you want a better rear suspension your best bet is to buy a "WORKS PERFORMANCE" theve been making shocks for this machine since it first came out in 85. you can try to find any old shock and figure out a way to mount it but shocks are valved individully for each bike/trike/quad so no matter what other shock you put on it will never work right.
'

10-26-2002, 06:55 PM
I too thought the shock I first got was bad - actually I got it from Howdy but after I tried a second shock I knew something was wrong, yep it's heavier, but how much 60 lbs? Can't some preload be added if that were the case. Both these units bounced like pogo sticks, as if there were no oil in them. As far as the angle, I tried to duplicate it as best as I could. It should have had SOME type of suspension when I was done But as I said it was boing boing boing down the trail, two times - this is what lead me to believe there was some type of linkage on the 200x. Also just look at a 200x shock - it has about zero travel to the bump stop :!: As far as valving I've always adjusted my clickers for compression and rebound. Now look at a linkless shock - they seem to have four or more inches of travel?? :?: I am not looking for perfection, just something with a little cush and rebound to keep it straight.

10-29-2002, 05:38 PM
Dirtcrasher, can you tell me what I need to do to upgrade my 250SX front end to the 200x or 350x? And keep in mind that simple is definately more better for me to understand! :rolleyes: IF its a long process just send to my email dshaky@hotmail.com
Thanks in advance!

shaky