PDA

View Full Version : How to quit smoking?

Yamahauler
12-09-2007, 01:08 AM
How do you get a guy to stop smoking? My dad is killing himself, he smokes over a pack a day since he was 15...he's 49 now. Its not just for him but everyone around him. How have some of you guys done it??

300rman
12-09-2007, 01:38 AM
well, my dad was at 3 packs a day foryears, smoked since he was a kid.
he felt funny, went to the doctor.
they said it lookd like he had lung cancer, and they would run tests.
he quit cold turkey and never looked back. the tests came out clean, but he never went back.

he said the first few days are the worst. after that, its still hard, but after a few months, its smooth sailing. just dont relapse and keep a strong will.

and EVERYTHING SMELLS 800 TIMES BETTER!!!!!

super90
12-09-2007, 01:43 AM
I quit smoking a few weeks ago and feel alot better already. I can actually taste and smell things that I forgot existed. Every time I need a cigarette i put a chew of tobacco in. I know neither are good but i feel the cigarettes were way more harmful to you than the couple chews a day.

The Goat
12-09-2007, 02:03 AM
eh, i was at a pack a day all throughout highschool, reds too. decided i didn't really want to quit, just wanted to save some cash. cut down on my smoking a lot. now i've had 13 cigs in the last 6 days....but exams are coming up...eh

i suppose the real trick is to get him to WANT to quit, that'd be the most important thing, "stopping smoking is the easiest thing in the world. i should know, i've done it on multiple occasions" a poor quoting of mark twain.

steven 250sx
12-09-2007, 04:10 AM
show him what he could lose

cr480r
12-09-2007, 05:50 AM
How do you get a guy to stop smoking? My dad is killing himself...

You cannot... Its a decision that must be made by your father. Everyone knows that smoking is a terrible and deadly habit... Usually before they even start... lol... Your not going to make him realize what he already knows... He must find his own reasons...

How have some of you guys done it??

I quit cold turkey after having a pack+ a day habit for over 6 years... The key is to not "try" to quit... You must decide to quit and mean it... Trying is admitting failure right from the start... Cutting back or using patches and other BS to ween yourself off the nicotine is joke... The habit and nerves are still gonna be there regardless if the nicotine is or not... If you arent serious enough to quit on your own then failure is almost guaranteed....You either want it or you dont... It took me years to finally quit, I had many failed "attempts"... I was getting old before my time, and it was getting to the point where my health was starting to suffer... I had to quit or else I was going to begin to suck at life... Its been nearly 3 years... Food tastes much better, I dont stink nearly as much, and I save a ton of money every month by no longer being a slave to such a stupid habit... I still sometimes get cravings for a smoke after a meal, or especially when I drink or go to a bar... Sometimes even a seeing a magazine add, a person on TV, or a billboard sign while driving down the road can make me want to have one... I suspect that it will always be this way...

Erics350x
12-09-2007, 10:30 AM
If you figure it out let me know.
I hear theres a new pill out that will make you quit but you have to take the rest of your life or you'll start back up, i'd start by talking to his Doc

Mrs.Mosh
12-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I hear theres a new pill out that will make you quit but you have to take the rest of your life or you'll start back up, i'd start by talking to his Doc

A friend of mine is on that pill. He hasn't smoked for 6 months. I was thinking about trying it. I want to quit, but I also like it too much:rolleyes:
I have "quit" a few times. When I was pregnant I quit, but I still wanted one the whole time. It did make things smell better and taste better.

hinddee29
12-09-2007, 11:06 AM

I'm the one Mrs.Moshman is talking about. It's called Chantics spelling might be wrong on that. It's amost like the patch, but with this you still smoke. You have to set a quit date and quit. After awhile it taste so bad you can't smoke it.
You are suppose to take this for 5 or 6 months not the rest of your life.
My wife and I only took the started pack which was for a month. Haven't had one
since the end of that month. I do have times I want one, and you will aways have
that. You just can't go and have one or you will start up again. You have to want to quit or it's all for nothing. The starter pack was around 100.00 per person
for a month supply. Well thats what it was for us. Still cheaper than a cartoon of smokes. My wife knows a lot of people and my doctor has heard this stuff is working to help rid the habit. I think he said it's in the top 80, 90% of the people put them down after using this. Don't quote me on that. I just know I tried the patches and nothing worked, but this has now it being six months I think I really kick the habit.

Shane

Meat-BoX
12-09-2007, 11:29 AM
I got a script for Chantix or whatever its spelled. That script works for most people. The only people it didnt work for were the ones who used the side effects as a crutch so they could still smoke. I guess for some it makes you feel nauseas. I hate that feeling but I hate smoking more. Its about $120 and you may need to do it for two months, so thats $240. But hell, thats only two months worth of cigs. The way I look at it, and hope to do, is this. That $150 a month I spend on cigs is a Brand new Motorcycle Payment, Snowmobile, Quad or just about any toy you may want. I just keep getting sucked in because they got me bad this time. I used to just quit no problem, but after they got sued they raised the nicotine level and probably put other crap in there so we cant quit so easy. I hate smoking cigs. I want a new bike this spring so I can ride with all my buddies.

Old 179
12-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Lucky I never smoked. I remember waking up at night, my dad coughing and hacking out side and then going back into the kitchen and burn a couple before he went back to bed. 30 years ago, he stopped cold turkey (4 packs aday) after his doctor had a good talk with him. My mother smoked for over 45 years before they killed her.She had major cancer surgery in the throat and mouth area. She lasted about 8 years after the surgery.
I'm sure every one knows of older people that smoked all of their lives and made it to be 80 - 100 years old. Those are just the lucky few. Just look around and see all of the others on oxygen tanks ect. Visit the hospitals and old fokes home and see what smoking had done with alot of these people. It will make you think.
Don't condemn me for my position on this. I have witness this first hand. I not a prude about smokers, I work around them all day, I just ask them not to blow it in by face.
If this helps one person to quit, Ill be happy and let me know. If not, no big deal, It,s your life.

thanks old 179

ATC-Eric
12-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Anybody ever been hypnotized? Ive heard lots of success stories from that. Thing is, you have to want to go have it done.

Theres also another gimmicky one where they shot something in your ear for like $50, and your never suppose to want one again.

I agreed to do one of these with my mom eventually. We yell at eachother for smoking, but we both continue to do so. If shes willing to do the hypno thing, Ill humor her and go with.

Banage
12-09-2007, 04:55 PM
I smoked for 2 years. One day I said no more wasting my money and never had one since then. You will NEVER "Get a guy" to quit. either he wants to and does, or he dosnt want to and wont. I know how hard it is to watch your dad kill himself. My dad has been 4 packs a day since I can remember.

Xowner
12-09-2007, 10:07 PM
stop lighting them

Bryan Raffa
12-09-2007, 11:15 PM
stop lighting them

Gonna try New Years nite.. :)

sblt500r
12-09-2007, 11:45 PM
you need to be scaredd your gonna die. my father has smoked since he was 14, hes now 54. he got anumionia a few weeks back, and couldn't breathe. after he was in the hospital four 4 days, he stopped smoking. so far he hasn't had a smoke. only been a month but i think he got scared from not being able to breathe, and won't have another. i think thats the best way!

oldskool83
12-10-2007, 03:11 PM
my uncle used that nicorette stuff years ago...it smokes 3 packs a day. after he was off it for a few months he got boared so be started smoking again...but he didnt have the urge to...

you would always eat them if you dont want to smoke them anymore.

tapper190
12-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I tried the lazer program with my wife. It worked for me but not for her. I think that it cost me $300 for the program, but it was well worth it. They tell you to put airfresheners everywhere in your house and car. Try and change your habbits (eating times, coffee breaks ect.) Put the money that you would spend on smokes in a jar and save it. After 3 months of this, treat yourself. I've been doing this for almost 3 years now, bought my 250sx along with a couple of 200x rollers with the money that I saved. It gets easier with time. Good luck, it's a very hard habit to break.
Tapper

firehart
12-12-2007, 12:39 AM
I lost my mom to lung cancer and my mom-in-law to emphasema and my wife of 29 years still smokes. And she's a diabetic. Its going to kill her if she doesn't quit.