PDA

View Full Version : How do you fix this?

chris200x
12-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm wondering what's the easiest way to fix this:

My freind bought a quad (a 90 something 300ex) a few weeks back and it's leaking oil from the top of the cylinder pretty bad. We discovered that two of the bolts holding the head on have been stripped (from the former owner over tightening I rekon)

Is there a "quick fix"? it's only a $250 quad... so he's not looking to sink a ton of cash into it. nor does he want to pull the whole motor...

Any suggestions?

SYKO
12-13-2007, 11:29 AM
nope no easy fix, remove parts drill helicoil or retap to s differnt size, are these the head bolts or the rocker cover bolts, I had 4 bolts on my 350x that needed to be fixed, it leaked out oil as fast as it went in it!

chris200x
12-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Syko.. the bolts holding the head on itself. On both sides of the front of the engine. It leaks all over the header and smokes like a mofo. (its actually quite funny when he fills the neighborhood up with smoke! :lol: )

Looks like we got some work ahead of us... :(

blue27
12-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Helicoil is the correct way!!, but Honda had the insight to drill and tap the holes a little deeper then needed, so sometimes you can just go to a 10mm longer bolt and be fine. That is a common prob. with the 300exs. Also (I hate to say this) you can run a 1/4-20 bolt in there it is a hair larger and usually will grab. Dependeing on which bolts some of the flow oil up along side to the rockers so yoiu don't want to block them off. Helicoil is the right way !!! and not that hard to do, you can even do it in the frame, A tip is to cover your drill bit in grease (completely cover) and most of the metal shavings will stick to it instead of falling down in the head. If you need more info LMK.