PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 1994 Suzuki RM 125........

Troll 2
05-25-2003, 12:31 AM
I'm getting my fourteen year old boy a 94' rm 125 on wendsday. It's at the suzuki dealer now, and getting a full overhaul. The engine will get a new crank journal, rod, piston, sleeve and port job. They will break it in and do the jetting.They are going to rebuild the fork's and replace the clutch too.
The bike look's like it's in good shape. All the main mechanical stuff like brake's, swing arm bushing's, cooling system ect. check out good. It has a ceet graphic's kit and seat cover. The tires are new. Has a brand new renthal chain and sprocket's. It come's with Answer pro taper bar's and mount kit. Also a fmf fatty pipe and silencer.
I think he's asking a little much for the bike at $1800, but the avaliblility around here is poor.
If I add up the engine cost with all the aftermarket part's up, it seem's like a good deal around here.
I have five four-stroke trike's and I'm a newbie to the two-stroke bike stuff.
I have a few question's and any info will help. I hear that the maintaince will be alot higher and I dont mind that. I would like to be sure we do it properly.
I was told that the air filter should be serviced every ride, and the trans fluid replaced every forth ride. Do you all agree? Then when should we expect to plan on a top-end o.h. again? I figure about a year. We will not be racing, just getting wild with it. Also any tip's, suggestion's or armchair riding advice would be great. Thanks....................Troll 8)

Here's a pic of a stock one;
http://w1.548.telia.com/~u54804547/bilder/rm12594.jpg

NOS_350X
05-25-2003, 02:35 AM
seems like a fair price for all the work thats being done to it

FullBore
05-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Nice little bike the Suzuki RM, It wants a very expensive spark plug in it and it wants very expensive 2 stroke oil using, nothing else, I've seen these seize up badly just from the wrong oil, it was mixed well too.
These are VERY fast and it will scare you! they can lift the front wheel in 3rd and 4th gear! They like to rev and when they do the powerband hits like a hammer. Have fun!

Nat

Cheese
05-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Let me get this straight first. Your buying this from the dealer, and they are rebuilding the engine for you at no cost but the $1800. If this is right, I would make sure the work is actually done. I dont know how this dealer is but theres one near me that would say something like that and never actually do the work. Im not saying they wont do it but why not stop in on the day they are doing the rebuild.

Troll 2
05-29-2003, 01:01 AM
Thank's for the reply's :)
I saw a ad in the paper on the bike. It was thru a private party. When I went to look at it he said he let a friend ride it and now it's at the suzuki dealer getting looked at.
I went down and talked to the mechanic and looked at the bike.
He said it would be about three weeks's before it was done. Later that week we went down again just to look. The engine was out and split apart.He showed us the bad part's and explained what it needed.
I went down yesterday and saw him assembling it. Then we went and picked it up today. I met the owner there and paid $1800 for the bike. Then the guy took $1200 of it and paid the shop.
I figure the bike has somewhere arount $600 worth of aftermarket part's and the $1200 just spent on the engine.
They did'nt do the fork's, and it need's grip's and lever's. Then there's alot of little stuff that a nine year old bike would need. Just stuff like some plastic fastener's, spoke tension, and a good detail job. All that should be fun and cheap.
Weve been riding it this evening and and we love it. Tomarrow is looking good.
I'll post some picture soon.
Thanks again .................................................. .Troll
8)

Troll 2
05-30-2003, 12:01 AM
Here's two pic's...........
http://www.boomspeed.com/trikegodtrol/rm125001.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/trikegodtrol/rm125011.jpg

FullBore
06-01-2003, 05:29 PM
very nice, looks like you got yourself a good one there

ATC crazy
06-01-2003, 05:38 PM
I was told that the air filter should be serviced every ride, and the trans fluid replaced every forth ride. Do you all agree?

I don't think that's right. No one I know cleans their air filter after every ride...let alone every week. I do mine about every 3-4 weeks, and I ride pretty long and hard. I'm not sure about the trans fluid cause I've never had a 2-stroke.

yyz4208@aol.com
06-09-2003, 06:03 PM
I clean my air filter after every ride and change my trans oil ever 4 to 5 rides
I prefer to use spectro clutch saver oil

Troll 2
06-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the replys.
Here's some pic's. We just got back from a little ride.................. 8)

http://www.boomspeed.com/trikegodtrol/x2.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/trikegodtrol/x3.jpg

NOS_350X
06-13-2003, 01:41 AM
cool now ya just gota work on the style on those jumps

Troll 2
06-13-2003, 09:20 AM
cool now ya just gota work on the style on those jumps

We've been working on getting the maintance program down, learning two-stroke bike charateristic's, different riding types ( we've ridden wood's, moto-X tracks, trail riding and now free-style).
He likes the freestyle best. So far he's done no-footer's, no-hander's ( with lander's) knak/knak's, ect... Not too bad for two weeks on a new bike. It's alot different than the trike's he grew-up on. So far so good. Thank's..... 8)