PDA

View Full Version : phazer 480 blew up

dooner17
12-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Last night sled started losing all power and overheated. Plugs were completely white it was running extremely lean. Let it cool done and it ran good for a few minutes then lost all compression on one cylinder. Carbs were clean, fuel pump working good, Air filter not plugged. Looks as if the cylinder is warped a bit. Any idead what might have caused it. Maybe a bad head gasket. Its an 85 phazer 485.

nate b
12-18-2007, 09:24 PM
is it all stock? stock jetting, airbox ect. if so it's either a clogged jet or bad gas. gotta really watch the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* gas they have out nowadays with a 2-stroke, alot of it has alcohol and other oxengenates and crap in it. wich will make you run lean. was the fan working?
and how were you riding it? wide open on a lake or breaking a trail for a long time, or just riding on groomed trails?
could have lost a crank seal, base gasket, intake gasket, who knows.
proper maintenence, jetting and good fuel is the key for a reliable sled.

ATCwithdrawals
12-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Possibly a charge of water, fan belt, or even oil pump failure was common for these.

dooner17
12-20-2007, 11:28 PM
oil pumps ripped out, mixed gas, head gasket on that side was an old copper head gasket off a 1980 yz250 i had thats worked perfect for 2 years. both cylinders were lean, base gasket sounds like an idea. piston is fine cylinders scored a bit and looks like it might be warped. i cleaned the carbs again. i just dont want to fix it and still have it run lean and same situation.

tbirdscott
01-01-2008, 10:48 PM
If its the PTO side that went check the front motor mount on that side, they like to crack and tear a hole in the cases.

Scott

leokendall
11-24-2008, 01:42 PM
them engines are famous for blowing the pistons, high reving engine, and something about how the fan blows air. i never had a phazer, but i have heard so many storys about them poppin a piston. Mix your gas heavy with these engines.

rdlsz24
11-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Old ass thread but I will offer my insight. My family has owned a 1990 since 1998. Mostly just a backup sled if somebody comes over that doesn't have their own. My brother blew it up soon after we bought it because a piece of corn stalk went into the fan housing and broke the blades off the fan. He didn't realize it and kept riding and it cooked a piston. We replaced that piston and having been riding it ever since with no ill effects. It's the sled that won't die! lol

Rob

88quad85
12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
you need to do the carb mod.....you need to take your carbs off, take them apart,remove the nozzle from the carb body and you will see a small hole in one side..drill this hole all the way threw..this will take away your lean problem..it works!!!i raced one on the ice annd never had a problem...thanks.

dooner17
12-10-2008, 07:53 AM
I sold the sled last winter. The crank seals were toast, needed a new cylinder and two new pistons. Glad I got rid of it when i did. Now its been sitting in the mud at my buddies place for 6 months.

rdlsz24
12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Poor Phazer :(

Rob

Twilight
12-10-2008, 07:41 PM
A phazer runs my buggy. Over 1000 miles on the engine and no problems except ware and tare.

Mine runs in the desert, mud, sand and everything but snow. How the hell did you kill yours!? lol

TriMotoMan
01-26-2009, 03:02 AM
Blew mine up last winter it was a piece of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro anyways, i got 250$ for it

H.O.3.W.
11-09-2009, 02:14 AM
wow i cant beleve a phazer blewing a piston i have a 1990 phazer 2 and i got it when it had 4200 miles on it for 600 dollors and now it has 6500 miles on it and runs just as good itl do allmost 95 on the lake its the most reliable sled i ever bought other then my elan you cant kill a phazer and tommorow im going to pick up a 92 phazer long track with 5600 miles on it ive seen phazers with over 16000 miles on them with out a rebuild mabey some are just set up wrong