PDA

View Full Version : Newb to welders, what should I get

Tri-Z Pilot
12-26-2007, 08:24 PM
I did a little stick welding in school years ago, and have just recently decided that a welder would be a great investment. I am not looking for anything outrageous, bacically just the best bang for the buck to learn with and use.
I am looking for something under $800, preferably a spool fed unit, and something that does not need a gas shield. I would like to be able to do at least 1/2 inch thick steel, I figure that should be more than enough for what I need. Would a 120 volt fit the bill, or should I be lookin for the 220's. I saw a Lincoln Mig at lowes that would do 1/2 inch stuff for like $670. Are migs gas shielded, or are there different types?
I am basically lookin for any input and advise into what to get, and what other members are using. I know I could weld good given the time and practice, and it may even push me into going to school to make this a profession, (been thinkin about it for years seems like a great way to make a nice living).
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanx,
Ty

staceyl200
12-26-2007, 08:28 PM
get a MIG not the type that is gasless they are *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*! get the type that you use gas with and Use proper gas Argon not beer gas!!

Tri-Z Pilot
12-26-2007, 08:38 PM
How much does gas $, and how long does say a 20lb cylinder last?

smokinwrench
12-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I have welded for a living and burned up hundreds of pounds of wire. DONOT get a 110 welder they are near worthless for anything over 1/8", I have owned one and sold it.

I would keep an eye on ebay or local paper and buy anice used wire welder minimum of 225 amps. Goto your local welding shop and buy a 10 year lease for a bottle of argon, 1 bottle will last a long time and around here they only cost about $40 for a refill, and the lease will run you about $175.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-26-2007, 09:07 PM
So whats the lease? unlimited refills? So better to get a used unit? I dont want to get one then have it crap out on me, or do they not wear out?

brapp
12-26-2007, 09:37 PM
if you want a cheap 110 mig i ahve a craftsman one i have used for abotu 5 years but if you want it its yours.

Dirtcrasher
12-26-2007, 09:58 PM
I found I needed 2 welders. a Lincoln Juke Box arc for thick stuff - about 150$ used. And a Lincoln, Hobart or Miller Mig welder with gas - anywhere from 400 to 800$. I've had a big bottle for 2 years and I'm not out yet. Bot are 230V machines. The small migs, even 230V CANNOT weld thicker than about 3/8 thick.

Unfortunately, you are still stuck with the problem of not being to weld aluminum. Next on my list will be a Tig welder.....

Tri-Z Pilot
12-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Not worried about alum, I figure I'll start with a mig and work my way from there. Brapp offered me his 110 craftsman that needs some work, figured I'd get that fixed and toy around with that for a while. Thanxs Brapp.

Dirtcrasher
12-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey, anything for free is SWEET!!

But I will tell ya this. Nothing is more frustrating that a welder that either globs crap on, burns through everything or the wire constantly jams up. I honestly smashed one to bits one time I got so pissed at it, but I do have anger problems.... Then I got the mig and all was well!!

KASEY
12-26-2007, 11:45 PM
listen to the WRENCH ,,,, those 110v welders will just discourage you from welding,, i had 2 of them sold both ,,, 1 was cheap 1 was expensive,,, neither did what i wanted,, i bought a millermatic 200 18 years ago i will never sell it, it is a fantastic machine,,, i recetly bought a miller 200dx tig welder,,, and i have a old miller 250 anm stick rod machine ,, i am learning to tig weld now ,, its kinda fun the quality of your welds is directly related to the amount you spend on a welder,,,, here is a pict of my first tig torch project,, its stainless steel,,,,
http://i10.tinypic.com/6jvwwmv.jpg

300rman
12-27-2007, 12:48 AM
hey hey hey, we had a couple 110 lincoln electric welders at school, and i have to say, they were my favorite welders for light/medium welding. i could do thin exhaust pipe and fill holes in it (HOLES and GAPS not piddly stuff) and would do great for welding on a trike/quad/bike frame. it was a argon gas welder.

but gasless welders SUCK. i would burn one if it was given to me. i wouldnt buy one for a penny...........

stick to lincoln electric or miller. cant go wrong there.

brapp
12-27-2007, 09:11 PM
i recently just got a hobart 125 its a good little welder and works great from frames and light steel even with the flux cored wire its ok but i have the optiion to use argon co2 mix also witch makes it nice.and i have a big old craftsmas buzz box for my heavy equipment needs and its allabotu your rep work also the poor prep the poorer the wels willbe.

Kilborg
12-27-2007, 09:58 PM
110 welders bring the suck. Simple as that. Sure, make enough passes and you have something that MIGHT hold up...but honestly, are you just doing some sheetmetal and exhaust work on the side, or are you trying to make money?

I run a 480 volt mig at work, and sometimes a 480 tig spooler. I can (and have) done rockers and cabcorners on pickups (not burning through or warping the shitt outta it, either), 3/4" pintle plates....and a few times even beyond that. Its all in your settings, technique, and experience.

Spend the money on a decent mig setup.

tapper190
12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
If you're doing metal up 1/8" the 110 gas mig will be fine, anything heavier I agree with buying 220 mig. I havn't had good luck with the flux core wire. The gas is a pain when you're out doors but I think still works a lot better.
If you're thinking about welding as a career, do your research. There is a lot of different fields. I'm a sheet metal worker ( install roof top units etc.) and I help the welders at work to do the structual reinforcement of the units and joist. They have to burn threw the paint (suppose to chip it off, but that takes to long and $). There is a haze of smoke from the paint fumes and welding rods at the roof line that they are breathing in all day! Not to mention that a lot of the time we can't use cranes for the steel, it's all done by manual labour.
Tapper

dizasterzrfun69
12-29-2007, 02:51 PM
you can get a mig welder and use gas or use fulxcore wire (no gas). If you use the gas its a lot cleaner weld and welds better. If you use the flux core you dont use gas, the welds arent as high quality and the wire costs a little bit more. I have a lincoln SP-135T and it does anything i want. it has 4 heat settings ranging from 25 up to 135 amps. The wire speed is controled by a dial on the welder that goes from 1-10 and anywhere in between. I've welded 1/4 and 3/8 with it before, 350x frames, swingarms, footpegs, shifters, and i've also welded rusty paper thin exhausts. If i had the money i would have gotten a bigger welder BUT my garage isnt wired for 220 and i got the welder for a christmas gift several years ago. I use .030 or .035 fluxcore or i steal the tank from my dad and use .030 wire. I had it set up to weld aluminum at one point but decided it didnt do a good enough job. Does anyone remember that aluminum atc speedo/tac dash? that someone here on 3ww still has? http://3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=60832 I welded that with my "little piece of *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* 110 welder". I dont know why you guys all think 110 welders are *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*. If you have a good name brand welder and know how to weld, the 110 welders arent junk. Of course you cant weld the axle on your combine with it but for the average person who wants to weld steel, its more than enough of a welder.

Tri-Z Pilot
12-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the responses! Just lookin to get some input before hand before I go throwin money away on something that I didnt know what I was gettin into or units that are just plain junk. I'm just gonna play around with the 110 for now since I'm not wired for 220, and I'm just startin out, I figure that is the best thing to do for now.

3 weelin geezer
01-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I got me a lincoln 110 mig and so far I love it. I got it mainly for thin stuff that the stick just burns through. You set the bottle to put out 20 cfh or so which means that 20 cuf beercan will last about less than an hour since not all will come out. Thats welding time btw not just sitting there. Here is a pic of it, and a project along with one of the welds with .030 solid wire and argon set at c-3 or so. (not shown is the T size 330 cuf bottle on its own dolly) http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/3_weelin_geezer/smileys/weldinprogress.gif

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/3_weelin_geezer/DSC02515.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/3_weelin_geezer/DSC02541.jpg

SWIGIN
01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
i bought a bigger bottle ( 60 or 80) when i got my lincolin 175 plus 220 mig and it was something like $175 filled and like what was said a refill is like $40 and last me a year or so.

i can weld sheet metal and exsaust pipe all day long with that welder