PDA

View Full Version : whats the freakin trick??HELP..

Bryan Raffa
12-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I ripped my S10 apart yesterday, pulled the tranny to put a clutch in,, everything went smooth... went to put it back together with that plastic alignment tool.. tranny should slip back in right .. I have had that thing on my sholder for hours and it will not slip in the bushing in the center of the flywheel. I must have tryed 20 times.. I had to walk away till this morning ..
or is that plastic clutch alignment tool a POS??? I have a end of a tranny that I cut off with a torch,, But I cannot find it ..its been years since I did a clutch in a truck.. any advice.....before I throw the tranny through the Door..

AttoirRE
12-27-2007, 09:34 AM
it's always tough. Here's some tips:

1.) Keep trying. Lift it up, get it started through the pressure plate, and rotate the thing left and right as you're trying to get it to mate. Wiggle it left to right, up and down. It's a PITA, but it almost always eventually goes in.

2.) Go to the hardware store or O'Reilly's, and buy some All-thread the same size as your trans bellhousing bolts (Basically like a really long bolt with no head, ie it's all thread)

Cut it to about 6" pieces, thread it in the engine, then slide the bell housing over the allthread. You can use it as a guide when installing the trans.

pickleweasel_00
12-27-2007, 09:36 AM
I would double check the clutch alignment with the tool, and did you replace the bushing? Might measure it to check clearance and also check the input shaft for burrs. Shouldn't be much else to it, just rotate the input shaft so the splines line up with the clutch and if you're putting it in at the right angle it should slip together...

And I've usually had good luck with those alignment tools :wondering

Bryan Raffa
12-27-2007, 09:42 AM
yes replaced the bushing ,, the splines go in no problem,,the tool slips all the way in and i did check on the tanny with the bushing it slipped right on..I was just told to file that bushing a little more on the taper to help.. and Im useing the two long bolts on each side to keep it lined up... you would think after 20 time's I would have had the right angle once or twice..LOL

Jason Hall
12-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Brian be sure to tighten the pressure plate bolt In a star pattern & when you do, don't tighten the first couple real tight at first. I would then suggest you tap the allignment tool SLIGHTLY side to side, then make sure you can push It In & out easily before you tighten the PP bolts In a star pattern again. Steel alignment tools are alot better, because they don't flex when the pressure plate It tightened down. I also put the tranny In gear so I can turn the Input shaft by turning the output yoke/shaft by hand.

Bryan Raffa
12-27-2007, 09:57 AM
yes I will do the star pattern.. that I did not do... and yes it was in gear to turn the output shaft..thanks jason I need to pull that off again anyways..

New2ATC
12-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Ive usually had good luck with the plastic alignment tools aswell, although never done a clutch on a truck, only cavaliers..

Dirtcrasher
12-27-2007, 01:43 PM
I did not have good luck with that tool, I found an old pilot shaft and used that instead. Stupid trannies, nothings worse than laying on your back with a trannie on top of you...... Wait..... did I just say what I think I said??

DeePa
12-27-2007, 02:27 PM
haha bad prior experiences?

84honda200s
12-27-2007, 03:16 PM
i hate doing them and t-cases. when we did the jeep the tool was useless. we tryd so many times with that dam thing and couldnt get it to go. then we tryd a few times (about 4-5) without the tool and we got it to go. some people swear by them tools but i find it way easier without it. but then we had a guy help us that has bin doing tranny work for 35 plus years. what suck the most was not having tranny jack or lift. we had 3 guys and a cardboard box to lay on.

anyways man all i can tell ya is stay cool and get some help if need be.

The Goat
12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
dirt that's disgusting man

SWIGIN
12-27-2007, 05:01 PM
what i found to be helpful is if the tranny wont go on the last little bit, as i try to push the tranny in i have someone gently push in the clutch pedal.

this has always worked 100% for me in the past

Xowner
12-27-2007, 05:16 PM
:confused:
what i found to be helpful is if the tranny wont go on the last little bit, as i try to push the tranny in i have someone gently push in the clutch pedal.

this has always worked 100% for me in the past

how does that work. if you push the clutch that should try and push the trans away from the motor??? :confused:

Bryan Raffa
12-27-2007, 06:56 PM
dirtcrasher.. I just had a real bad visual...

I took every thing apart and rat tailed the brass bushing a little bit.. there was a burr in there from when it wasn't aligned also..tapered that just a little. Put the disk and alignment tool in and got it to where it would pull out the easyst..Then took a black sharpie and out lined the disk on the flywheel.The started all the bolts on the PP to a sung fit.. the with a brass punch moved the disk around to the sharpie mark and to where the tool pulled out nice.. Then tightened in a star pattern.. tranny slipped right in the first try............................................... ..

I stalled it 10 times in the parking lot! Like a Brand new truck..207,000 miles!!

thanks guys!!:D
:beer