PDA

View Full Version : The Start of the 2006 KLX450r has begun! UPDATED W/ PICS GOT MOTOR

250rmanfmf
01-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Well after some help from you guys with deciding what motor to use I have decided to go with a KFX450r Engine as my powerplant. I was think about a KFX400 or a KX500 but you guys were right, just do the 450 engine.

The Trike will be a 1986 Tecate. I plan on doing a Green, Black, and Chrome/ polished aluminum look and color scheme. I plan on running a headlight.

For suspension I plan on puttting on a set of 2005 KX250 Front Inverted Forks with a custom triple tree. I am also looking at different swingarm options, I may just go with a standard Tecate swingarm but am looking at other possible swingarms like the yfz450, Trx450r, KFX450 swingarms as the aftermarket will be easier to get. I paln on doing around a 5-6 inched extended swingarm with a +2 axle.

As for the powerplant I will be adding a little more power with a port & polish and some minimal work for now but once all done may add more. I also plan on making a custom Dual exhaust. I know there is no performance gain here but its louder and it looks cool.

I plan to spend $3,500-$5,000 between bike parts and machining. I know some good connections to get good deals on machining and I will be doing all my own polishing. I am expecting this project to take me until the end of May to where I can test it out on the dunes and then tour the coast with it and my custom 250r.

Any suggestions you guys have let me know. I will be posting pics as I go and will be explaining what I am doing as I go. I am plonning on doing many more projects like this over the next years that includes the 84-85 Tecate, 350x, 200x and the 83-84 250r and the Tri-Z.

Tyler

NINJA
01-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Sounds like an awesome project man I can't wait to see some picks!

Eric250R
01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Glad to hear it also, looking very forward to this project.:beer

oldsking86
01-01-2008, 07:31 PM
What a way to start off the New Year! Good luck with the build and I'll be a following it for sure ;)

I do agree on your choice of another swing arm to help with the aftermarket. Tecates are becoming more rare each day so since you are going with a nice trick build I recommend stick with something like an aluminum off the new 450's. A +5 or +6 swinger will be nice, I have one on my 250r and love it, but might shrink just a tad to a +4 for more fun :)

250rmanfmf
01-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Hopefully I can make my deadline for this project because I am having a Huge problem of not even being able to find a engine. I guess I will have to be paitent. also I am looking foward to the elect start and Reverse:naughty: :naughty:

Tyler

MTS
01-02-2008, 12:31 AM
ehh,, the EFI might not like the custom pipe set up too much, there finicky as it is, i find, even with a yosh pipe, a powercommander would be your best bang for the buck, But i personally like the 400 motor, Dead reliable, Almost impossible to kill, put out a good amount of power,,,,and who needs reverse on a trike??...IMO

cr480r
01-02-2008, 04:40 AM
ehh,, the EFI might not like the custom pipe set up too much, there finicky as it is, i find, even with a yosh pipe, a powercommander would be your best bang for the buck, But i personally like the 400 motor, Dead reliable, Almost impossible to kill, put out a good amount of power,,,,and who needs reverse on a trike??...IMO

I would use a stock KX450F dirt bike engine...

oldskool83
01-02-2008, 08:30 AM
sounds neet...i would buy the parts 1st and see if the idea really plays out...sounds like you have a ton of work ahead of you.

250rmanfmf
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Went to the dealer and measured the motor, looks like it will fit no problem. Yea the fuel injector stuff is a challenge but I have a connection on a guy that tunes and works on the new fuel injected quads. I looked at the KX450f engine and its not a bad engine (kickstart, Carbureted) but the 450r motor puts out a little more power. But worst case snarrow I will do the kx450f if I cant find a kxf450r. A brand new motor is 2200 bucks.

Tyler

250rmanfmf
01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
after doing some more measuring looks like I will have two challenges. the first is that these new 4-strokes are tall engines. The 450 measured out at 17 1/2 inches tall. Which means that I have to cut out the neck support that the stock engines head would bolt to and where the cdi would mount. I would have to resupport that somehow. Luckley I know a good metal faber and a good welder. And the other motor mounts can be made to fit. the only other issue is back where the swingarm pivot bolt is cause the width of the motor mount on the engine is 4" where the stock Tecate engine was only 3 3/4. So looks like I need to find a different shock setup.

As far as a swingarm goes its been tough. So far nothing will fit, everything too wide. The frame will except a swingarm thats 7 3/4 wide, Everything I have found has been 8 1/2 and bigger (trx450, yfz450, Raptor, 250r, KFX400, KFX450, LTz400). I would like to see what width a Banshee or a Blaster swingarm is, so if any of you can get a measurement of the width of the swingarm where the pivot bolt bolts to that would be great. Otherwise I am stuck with using a T-Swingarm. What about a T4 swingarm???

Still lots of R & D to do but everyday I am figuring stuff out.

Tyler

cr480r
01-02-2008, 11:23 PM
What about a T4 swingarm???

The T4 swingarm is too wide also...

Which means that I have to cut out the neck support that the stock engines head would bolt to and where the cdi would mount. I would have to resupport that somehow. Tyler

Is the engine going to clear the fuel tank?

200x newby
01-02-2008, 11:26 PM
after doing some more measuring looks like I will have two challenges. the first is that these new 4-strokes are tall engines. The 450 measured out at 17 1/2 inches tall. Which means that I have to cut out the neck support that the stock engines head would bolt to and where the cdi would mount. I would have to resupport that somehow. Luckley I know a good metal faber and a good welder. And the other motor mounts can be made to fit. the only other issue is back where the swingarm pivot bolt is cause the width of the motor mount on the engine is 4" where the stock Tecate engine was only 3 3/4. So looks like I need to find a different shock setup.

As far as a swingarm goes its been tough. So far nothing will fit, everything too wide. The frame will except a swingarm thats 7 3/4 wide, Everything I have found has been 8 1/2 and bigger (trx450, yfz450, Raptor, 250r, KFX400, KFX450, LTz400). I would like to see what width a Banshee or a Blaster swingarm is, so if any of you can get a measurement of the width of the swingarm where the pivot bolt bolts to that would be great. Otherwise I am stuck with using a T-Swingarm. What about a T4 swingarm???

Still lots of R & D to do but everyday I am figuring stuff out.

Tyler

Thats why they call it a project! i would go with a new swing arm from a new quad. yes you may have to widen the frame a little bit or take some width out of the new swinger but in the long run your better off. if you need some ideas look at the 450rr thread started by 250rfan. he had lots of fabrication involved but in the end(near end) it was worth the extra time to cut, weld, widen, extend, and stretch to get the new parts to fit. i would aslo go with the kx450f, carbs are better and last longer in the end. EFI= short term gain long term loss. and you would have to worry about mounting the box and all that. just my .02 though.

250rmanfmf
01-03-2008, 12:28 AM
O hea, I do need to check clearance for tank. I might have to lower the frame llike 250rfan did or mod the tank. But like you guys said, its a project and its going to take some custumizing. I will continue to work on the swingarm setup too, I just need to find some more parts and keep trying stuff

as for the kx450f engine I am considering it if I can find one. If anyone knows where I can get either a kxf450 or a kx450f engine please let me know

Thanks
Tyler

OZQUAD44
01-03-2008, 07:23 AM
What about a custom swingarm designed using modern quad bearing carrier. That is what I'm considering for my T3. There are swingarm builders who say they build swingarms for any ATV.

oldskool83
01-03-2008, 10:37 AM
What about a custom swingarm designed using modern quad bearing carrier. That is what I'm considering for my T3. There are swingarm builders who say they build swingarms for any ATV.

that what i had done...hreatv.com built me a 300ex style swingarm to fit in a 84 200x...it turned out freaking nice:w00t: !

3Razors
01-03-2008, 05:27 PM
That is going to be a VERY tight squeeze into a tecate as they dont have much room to work with.

250rmanfmf
01-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Any suggestions on where to look for engines??? Ebay and some Kaw sites are the only ones I can think of right now

Tyler

69HemiGTX
01-05-2008, 09:11 AM
There's a seller on Ebay that parts out bikes all the time. Their name is keepitroostin, and they're from Faith, NC. They have a KX250F engine for sale right now, but they do run across some late-model 450s. I haven't seen a KX450F from them yet, but you might contact them and let them know you're in the market. There was a brand new KXF450 engine on there a couple months ago, but I don't know if it sold or not. I do know it wasn't cheap.

250rmanfmf
01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
thanks for that info, I was guessing the engine will not be cheap but it should be worth it

Tyler

oldskool83
01-05-2008, 04:52 PM
eliteatv.com gets motors in all the time...he is on ebay also under eliteatv...you may just want to get a honda or yamaha motor and put it in there since they have had 450's out for 4 years now...trying to find a kawasaki 450 motor when the bike has not even been out a year my be hard yet...and you will pay top $ abou 2,000 for the motor alone...KXF400's are way cheaper.

250rmanfmf
01-05-2008, 05:35 PM
well I have been doing more research and I am trying to figure it out and go with it. Here are my options, they are pretty similar motors size wise so if later down the road I can swap if I want to

Heres my options

KFX450r engine cost $2000 just for engine and probably another $1K for injection system with electrical. and wait time to get a motor

Total $3000

or

KX450F Engine cost $1500 just for engine and another $800 for carb and misc. power work and electrical.

Total $2300

or

KFX400 Engine- Cost of engine $300, 490cc Stroker big bore- $650, Cams $350, Valve terrian $300 Clutch $100, Edlebrock carb $425 and electrical $50

Total $2200

those are the order of my 1st threw 3rd choice but it will end up what it will be when I find a motor.

Tyler

250rmanfmf
01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
that kfx400 motor is a motor that I can buy now with a busted case.

Tyler

oldskool83
01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
buy bown up kxf400 or z400 since they are the same and just rob all you want...this way you can steal the swingarm and shock set up rear axle and stuff aand modifiy it or have a custom set up made.

hreatv.com would literly build you want you want from ground up for a price...but hes good just as deathman...we both have been dealing with him.

NOS_350X
01-07-2008, 03:32 AM
I woudnt even mess with the kxf450, underpowered and too new.

The kx450f is a bad ass bike, the engine is a powerhouse. AND carburated, MUCH BETTER THAN THE CRAPPY EFI. No e start to run into problems with, simple. If the engine is wider than the spot in the swing arm just remove a section of the swingarm so it will fit. and line up the chain.

HaggLE
01-07-2008, 06:01 AM
I dont know much about these motors but from what i have read i think you should get a 400 motor and then work it, you will probably end up with more power and you know exactly whats in it cos you will rebuild it yourself.

As for the swinger, you should give it a go to build it yourself, cut the front off a late model quad swinger and then change it and make it fit the Tecate. it probably wont take much work, just get your welding mate to help you.

btw, why do you guys like the long swingers so much? Over here in oz we like em shorter so you can ride on tracks and take the turns fast....

well thats my opinion on all that anyway...

OZQUAD44
01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I think now that a CR450F and a YZ450F motors have been put into Honda and Tri-Z frames, then its about time a KX450F motor was slotted into a Tecate.

The KFX400 and Z400 motors are good motors and cheap but they aren't the ducks nuts are they! Besides they are really Suzuki donks. I think you should keep it mostly Kawasaki where you can.

Don't bother with fuel injection, additional nightmares, not to mention cost makes this too much of a heartache. Try finding a used KFX450R motor anyway, impossible.

Go find youself a KX450F motor. All the bike mags rave about these engines, you won't need to modify it at all. All you need is a good runner. Remember that the Tecates are very light. A KX450F equiped Tecate will eat just about anything in standard form.

As for the swing arm. I'm going through that nightmare at the moment. Best thing you could do is start from scratch. Once you have the motor fitted up, then you start on the swingarm. Make the engine end of the swingarm from the gaps left between the new motor and the frame. The back of the swingarm should be made to accomodate a common round house bearing carrier, Honda, Yamaha, or whatever.

HaggLE, as for the longer swingarms. It's just to keep the pesky front end down when your trying to put power on the ground. If it means slowing the steering down a tad to keep on the juice, then so be it. If you go back to some of the articles written on the 86/7 Tecate from the eighties, It was recommended to run a +2" swinger even for trail riding.

NOS_350X
01-07-2008, 02:12 PM
btw, why do you guys like the long swingers so much? Over here in oz we like em shorter so you can ride on tracks and take the turns fast....

well thats my opinion on all that anyway...

My shee has a -2, and the 450 will have a -2 soon also. I race flattrack so its a must. depends on the riding, when in the dunes most go with the extended swinger. I keep it lowered with the shortened swinger and it launches like crazy. With the extended swinger its harder to get the traction for a goodlaunch.

HaggLE
01-07-2008, 03:29 PM
My dad used to race flat track in the day and he used to run shortened swingers too to give that faster turn and better launch. Another thing he used to do to get a good launch out of the gate was to increase the rear rebound dampening right up so that when the suspension dived at takeoff it would stay down for longer giving better weight transfer.

We ride on the sand and dont really get wheel stands that bad because the area we ride and the high quality newcastle sand is soooooo soft that you want traction more than stability.

p.s. sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

This sounds like a very interesting thread and I agree that you should run a kawasaki powerplant now.. so its like the project would be like a modern trike if they made one.

OZQUAD44
01-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I aggree with you to an extent Haggle, shortend swingarm for flat track is the way to go. But more in so far as getting good drive(bite) in the turns and quick turn in. If you have lots of traction launching with a shortend swingarm can be a bit tricky.

For general trail riding on a Tecate with its snappy power delivery and quick steering, Id go a +1" to +2" anyday. I've lost coun't of the times my Tecate (when runnning properly) has has tried to claw the sky without warning. I've found the 250R is pretty good as standard so for general trail riding I wouldn't alter a 250R swingarm. If you've ridden a 250R with a -1" swinger (from a TRX250R) thats what a standard Tecate feels like, now add a snappier motor.

Its all about tuning the machine to perform its best in the role its used most. Horses for courses.

P.S. I probably didn't help matters with the Hi-Jack. If at all possible I'll stop waffling on swingarm length and concentrate on the future KXT450F

250rmanfmf
01-08-2008, 01:27 AM
no problem guys. Luckely I have a few parts headling my way to where now I just need the motor to really start the customizing.

you guys all have great ideas and hope to put the kx450F engine in cause of its simplisaty and for it being a true Kaw. motor. I might look to see how similar the mounting points on the KFX400 motor is to the kx450f to where I might be able to start the project with a KFX400 motor until a 450 comes for sale.

But I need your guys help with finding a motor. I will be doing some calling around this week and hopefully in the next few weeks I can have a motor coming my way:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

thanks for all the great tips, please keep them coming as this is a project for you guys too and want to make a BADASS Tecate:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks
Tyler

250rmanfmf
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I found an engine but not sure about it. the auction has ended but have been in contact with the seller, we wont let you return it and he does really descibe anything even when I was asking for detailed info about motor.

Should I try to work something out with him and take a risk? If I am gonna spend that much cash I want someone to stand behind the engine

let me know
Tyler

OZQUAD44
01-11-2008, 09:31 AM
BE VERY CAREFUL who you give money to over the net. If they can't be bothered to answer specific questions about their product. what will they be like in the event of an issue?

I saw this and thought of you imediately. Check it out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KX250F-KX250-F-KAWASAKI-ENGINE-MOTOR-ASSEMBLY-2006_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ009QQite mZ190187504156QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

3 Brand new Kawasaki 2006 KX250F motors still in the boxes. I know its only a 250, but hey the Tecate frame is a real lightweight, aluminium swinger, quick steering, Almost a match made in heaven.

Eric250R
01-12-2008, 01:03 AM
I agree, in the event that you couldn't find a 450, I"m sure one of those would still rip in the T-3 frame.

3Razors
01-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Usually it's easier and cheaper just to buy the whole bike used. That way you can get everything you need all in one shot like the electrical, carb, misc. stuff. Whatever you dont use you can part out on ebay and make some $$ back. Shop on craigslist for good deals and don't be afraid to low-ball the seller you would be suprised at what cash does to people!

250rmanfmf
01-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Now an update, I have been getting parts left and right and I am still waiting on a few to arrive.

I found some info out about the Kx450f. It is a 4 speed tranny. do you guys think this will be fine. I would like a 5 speed. just was doing some research and found that info. I now have a lead on a low hour nice 400 motor that I will try to do and then go from there to get things moving. also the 400 wont be stock when I am done with it.

also I will be fabing a yfz450 rear shock (or attemping to) on the tecate. I found a Mint condition t3 swingarm I am going to use and I will extend it myself. but might work on a custom bearing carrier to house like a 250r axle that will bolt directly to the tecate swingarm.

Tyler

3Razors
01-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Might want to look into the KLX450R motor. It has a 5-speed wide ratio trans, electric start, heavier flywheel, and lighting coil for lights, IMO that is a much better suited engine for a quad or trike than the KX450.

1bad450r
01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I think the 400 engine would work nicely

Jason Hall
01-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Talk to Derrick Adams about the 4 speed trans. His YZ450 Tri-Z has a 4 speed. I know the KX450's must be great runners. At the Summit Indoor MX races the Kawi's were In the lead Into turn 1 almost every time.

Billy Golightly
01-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Josh Creamer (Factory Kawi quad racer) was at my track a few weeks ago riding against Jeremy Lawson (Factory Can-Am), Chad Wienen (Factory Zuke), and about a half dozen pro-am riders on YFZs, Hondas, more LTRs and the KXF450 (Creamers) to me, looked to be by a considerable margin faster then everything else. What was done to it I don't know, Probably using a lot of bike parts but I can assure you it was not a slouch.

Eric250R
01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Now an update, I have been getting parts left and right and I am still waiting on a few to arrive.

I found some info out about the Kx450f. It is a 4 speed tranny. do you guys think this will be fine. I would like a 5 speed. just was doing some research and found that info. I now have a lead on a low hour nice 400 motor that I will try to do and then go from there to get things moving. also the 400 wont be stock when I am done with it.

also I will be fabing a yfz450 rear shock (or attemping to) on the tecate. I found a Mint condition t3 swingarm I am going to use and I will extend it myself. but might work on a custom bearing carrier to house like a 250r axle that will bolt directly to the tecate swingarm.

Tyler

I know you keep going back to the 400 engine as your backup, but I have to agree with OZquad.... if you can't find a good 450, you may want to seriously consider the KX250F engine.

250rmanfmf
01-19-2008, 06:42 PM
I think why I always fall back on the 400 is cause of the you can get them everywhere but I dont like the electric start. I can buy a kx250f engine right now with low hours on it. I may consider it. but still trying to get a 450 of some short. But thanks guys for all the suggestions, this is great. what speed are the 250's

Tyler

69HemiGTX
01-20-2008, 01:59 AM
One thing to remember about the 400 is that it is a Suzuki, no matter what color the plastic. It will not have the same engine mounts as a 250F or 450F, so you will have to modify the engine cradle again if you switch it later. Truth be told, the 250F is also a Suzuki, considering they designed it when they were working with Kawasaki. Be patient, you'll find a 450F. Like 3Razors suggested, the KLX450F is a five speed, has lights, and could easily be retrofitted with a kick starter using factory parts. Kawasaki might even have a kit for it. Once again, be patient. The 450F just came out recently, so there aren't as many of them around just yet. Please don't put a Suzuki engine in it. Keep it all Kawasaki.

3Razors
01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
I will add that the KLX450 has both kickstart/elect. start right from the showroom floor.

69HemiGTX
01-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, 3Razors. :beer There you go, 250rmanfmf. It sounds like a KLX engine would be the perfect choice.

BigGreenMachine
01-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Any pics of the T3 you'll be starting with?

From my experience it'll be easier to buy a whole doner bike, take what you need and part out the rest. Same as 3Razors has said.

250rmanfmf
01-21-2008, 11:22 PM
I should have some good pics ready in about two weeks, I started with just a bare frame due to lack of 85/87 tecates in the area, Never have seen one in washington and only have seen 2 in Oregon. But I didnt need much orignal tecate parts to restore because of using parts off other bikes and custom or new parts. but I have many parts on the way as I speak. I have my suspension frame and rads, and some oddball stuff with a tank and swingarm and headlight on the way and an axle.

I did find a Kx450f with carb and elect for a decent price so lets cross our fingers. Now is there a way to wire a light somehow with a kx wiring? I want a headlight. And I will do some more info on the 4 speed.

so I may be digging hardcore into it in about a couple of weeks. I am still doing some rough planning as I get parts.

Tyler

3Razors
01-22-2008, 02:53 AM
You wont be able to power lights with the KX450 as it does not come with a lighting coil setup.

cr480r
01-22-2008, 05:31 AM
A KX500 would save alot of money and headaches...

BigGreenMachine
01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
What do you plan to ride with this custom trike? Dunes, woods?

Should be able to buy a lighting conversion for the KX450f in the aftermarket.

Agree on the KX500. A modern KX250 would do the same job as well as nearly bolt in. Swingarm bolt on the modern KX250 will be larger in diameter then the stock Tecate swingarm bolt. KX500 uses the same diameter swingarm bolt. Both bikes can be had for dirt cheap compared to the fourstroke machines. Lighting kits are available for both.

250rmanfmf
01-23-2008, 01:12 AM
kx500 was the plan 6 months ago but I am aiming for more of a one of a kind bike. kx500 has been down a few times and I will probably build a kx500 tecate one day but I am going to try to use a 450 motor. I do both dunes and tracks.

well on the kx450 motor the guy is now asking more than his orignal asking price by $500 so we'll see

Tyler

Eric250R
01-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Moose offers a wiring kit for machines that originally didn't come with lights.

BigGreenMachine
01-23-2008, 10:56 AM
By all means giv'r, certainly not telling you what would be better, just what we know works already.

I think you will have plenty of room in the T3 chassis for the 450f motor. Once you remove that top cross brace there is a lot of room opened up to you. Only problem I could predict is the carb fitment.

250rmanfmf
02-04-2008, 05:12 PM
just a quick update, things have slowed on this project because last Saturday (jan. 27th) I was rushed to the hospital after falling 8 ft high from my truck landing on my chest. I did that at 9am in the morning and was headed on an hour in a half trip to go get a HUGE lot of motorcycle parts, on way home I went into shock and girlfriend had to drive me home and then to hospital.
Found out I was bleeding internially, from the splene. So I had emergency surgery and had my splene taken out. got home a few days ago from hospital and cant lift anything over 15 lbs for about a month. So I am just aiming at getting more parts and will try to do as much as possible.

while waiting on the motor I will be working on the custom rear suspension and the inverted fork setup as soon as I start feeling better.

any other questions about project just let me know

Tyler

BigGreenMachine
02-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Get well man, don't rush recovery.

James

Dirtcrasher
02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Dam, get better kid. I fell off the backhoe P-washing it one day and I got messed up BAD. It's the stupid stuff that always takes you out.....

200x newby
04-10-2008, 09:20 PM
any updates?

250rmanfmf
04-13-2008, 08:13 PM
I havent been able to get anything done on this thing yet. my trip to the hosiptal was expensive and cant buy an engine at the moment. I just started a new job and need to make sure things will be in good for about the next month. I hope tom be starting on it sometime in May but for right now its been pushed off for a month or two. I will let you guys know when I start.

Tyler

200x newby
04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
No rush we understand take your time!

factoryX
11-09-2008, 12:02 AM
any updates?

Groundworx
12-09-2008, 12:05 AM
I know this thread is a little old, but have you came accross your motor yet? I had access to a 08 KFX450R quad a couple of weeks ago and turned it down. It was pretty cheap, but was a little ratty. If you are just needing the engine, you should be able to pull all you need from it and part the rest. Let me know if you are interested and I will see if it is still there.

250rmanfmf
05-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Hey guys, still havent started, trying to finish some other little projects, I have a motor its a KXF450 motor. I just need to finish a couple things and then I can start.

Tyler

audioworks04
11-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Any update here?

250rmanfmf
12-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Bad economy equals bad times, Have to move. Also re-did project to start with a Kx450f Frame and build a kaw trike like a few guys on here are doing with the Hondas.

So far I have some parts but I have a frame on the way and now I am back to the drawing board for parts search. I had to do away with using Tecate parts & frame as it would be too involved to put a big motor like that into the frame also all the headache of suspension, axles and such.

Now new plan is Kx450f Frame, Tank, Shrouds, Motor, with custom dual exhaust (like HMF duals for the Raptors).

Dont know what swingarm I am going to use but I have to do some measuring when I get the frame. for the subframe I was thinking a Raptor 700 subframe or a kxf450 sub frame but again have to do some searching.

so still lots to do. Sorry guys for taking so long but ever since I started this thread seems like everything went down hill (hospital, Economy, Original idea)

But hopefully in a month I can get some pics and some info so dont count me out yet

Tyler

250rmanfmf
12-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Alright guys I am finally underway with this project. Frame should be here Monday along with the swingarm. After doing research this is the plan and I should complete project before hopefully June of this year. After doing some research and checking out the honda 450 projects, sounds like I need to do the rearend out of a similar quad with the same motor. So I will be fabing a KFX450 quad swingarm, shock, axle, sub frame using kfx450 rear fenders. Here is the list of parts I plan on using or have.

Frame-06 kx450f
Engine-06-kx450f
Carb/Ignition- 06-kx450f
Radiators & shrouds- Kx450f
Exhaust- DMC DUAL EXHAUST (will start with a kfx450 kit and mod as need be)
Swingarm-08 kfx450
Rear shock-08 kfx450
Rear axle & carrier- 08 kfx450 extended axle
sub frame-08 Kfx450
Rear Fender & seat-08 kfx450
Tank- 06 kx450f
Front forks- 96 kx125
Triple Tree- off a new Honda crusier
Front Wheel hub- 85 200x
Front fender- 250r green fender

I would like to try to get a headlight but if its to involved I dont need one right away.

I should have pics with a week or to of the parts I have gathered so far.

Thanks
Tyler

Dirtcrasher
12-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Sounds great!!

At least your giving it your best.... These aren't "easy" times to be building stuff ya know.

Looking forward to the build moving along :beer

250rmanfmf
01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey guys, I have updates and pics, Here is what I have so far, Frame, tank, rear fender, sub frame, forks, brakes, rear axle, front hub, motor and some other misc. stuff.

I ended up changing the motor. I just got a 2008 KLX450r motor. Its a 5 speed with a ligthing coil for a light and it has electric start. Locating a battery wont be hard cause the 08 kfx450 fender has the battery box inside it. Here are some pics, motor should be in my hands next week.

Once I get the motor the next step will building the swingarm. I was thinking of a beefy west coast style swingarm made from aliumium. The swingarm will be custom built because of how skinny the kx450f frame is, there is no current ATV swingarms that will fit. I am having a fabercator build the swingarm using the kfx450r rearend. If there is enough interest the faber guy I am using loves to make jigs so if he has to build it again its easy and cheap. So if anyone is looking to build one of these let me know and I may be able to supply swingarms for you.

Next will be welding mounts to the frame for the sub frame. I have tank shrouds on the way and will be nice to align the rear fenders and tank.

There are still some issues I am having with this build. One is a headlight. I wanted to use a 350x/Tri-z style headlight but I dont see any aftermarket companys that made headlight shells for them. I need it green. So I need to find a COOL headlight. I thought about taking like a trx450 front headlight with plastic and cutting it to look like a headlight but I am open for options.

Another is a front fender, I am planning on a 250r front fender (green of course). Will the 250r work with tecates? Cause I would have to buy like 10 fenders just to get maier to make them ( thats how I got my 85 250r Yellow plastics)

Tyler

PS how the hell do you post picks now? I click on the icon above that says insert image but it want a http link. Do I have to upload pics on the internet to post now?

250rmanfmf
01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
http://picture1248.jpg

test pics lets see if it works

250rmanfmf
01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Here are some pics of what I got so far.

audioworks04
01-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Looks like a good start. I assume that you will have to do like me and jason had to do on our aluminum framed 450s and relocate the rear shock mount if you are planning on using the kfx rear shock. Not sure on the the kawi stuff but I would bet that the kfx shock is much shorter than the kx450f rear shock. Keep us updated if you need any help or have some questions on what I did let me know and I'd be more than happy to give my input and suggestions.

250rmanfmf
01-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Yes, I will most likey have to lower the mount for the shock. I am actually using a yfz450 rear shock cause I had a good one lying here. Once I get motor my main focus is getting the swingarm, rear suspension and sub frame all dialed in before I tackle the front. But I will just take one step at a time.

Hoping for a finish date of this year sometime but probably still need to sink another 2K into before shes rolling and mostly together.

One question for you and the guys with the aluim frames, what rake did you go with? I am either having triple trees built with a rack or cut and fab the neck of frame for correct rake.

Tyler

audioworks04
01-31-2010, 12:32 AM
The triples you have if they are what I am thinking they are should have zero rake built. I would mount them up with your forks and full front end and mock up the rear also and see how it works out. Also I would do your forks first and then make your rear shock mount work with the front. Basically what you are shooting for is the bottom of the frame to be as close to level with the ground as possible. As far as rake I believe mine will be in the 26 degree range when I get my front end finished with the inverts.
I would try and contact Jason Hall about rake, he really knows alot more than I do. I have had some problems getting ahold of him lately though, hes probably just busy right now.

250rmanfmf
01-31-2010, 02:15 PM
cool thanks, Yea I am pulling a table out and I am going to start to set up the trike assembly so I can do mock up. I am very excited about moving forward with this project.

Anybody have any ideas for a headlight?

Tyler

Red Rider
01-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Anybody have any ideas for a headlight?You can't beat the '86-87 Tecate headlight for looks. All of the aftermarket headlights don't look right on a 3-wheeler's wide front end.

250rmanfmf
01-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Cool, Yea I like the 86-87 tecate headlight. I may have to go with it.

ALso I will be posting more picks at the end of the week with motor.

Also has anybody run carbon fiber wheels??????????????? I was looking into to these, They are HELLA EXPENSIVE but sweet looking, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HiPer-Rear-Wheels-Rims-Kawasaki-KFX450-KFX-450-9-9_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20a51959beQQitemZ1402 08855486QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks
Tyler

250rmanfmf
01-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey guys, also I need a Seat from a KFX450 and I cant find one anywhere, if any of you run across one please let me know

Thanks
Tyler

250rmanfmf
02-04-2010, 11:21 PM
I just got the motor :drool::drool::drool: This thing is going to be sweet

Tyler

250rmanfmf
02-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Now my 250r will have a buddy trike! They are gonna look good together

Kintore
02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Hey!

Looks like we run the same plastics! You are the ONLY other set I have ever seen in my career on 3ww.

We are part of the elite yella R club! AWESOME!
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/Pink%20RRRR/P1303698.jpg

250rmanfmf
02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Sweet R. Yea, I bought what I believed was the first set of yellow 250r plastics from maier (had to buy 5 sets) back in 2003. I sold the 4 sets. 2 on ebay and 2 to members on this site (one to mikelongisland). Where did you get yours? Also is that a ims tank or did you have the factory one painted?

Tyler

ALso more updates on the build,

got Pegs, carb, Radiators, Brakes, all on the way. hoping to start fabing soon.

atctim
02-09-2010, 12:01 AM
I can answer the tank question for you - it is a Clarke tank. They will make you one any color you want for $209. I have a silver one to match my Silver maier plastics - Rick "Seadoo650" has a blue one.

OZQUAD44
02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
I wish Clarke would make a 86-87 KXT250 tanks. It really bite not being able to replace my aging tank with something nice and shiny.

I can't wait to see this KXT450F project get into the construction phase

250rmanfmf
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Cool, my tank is a ims tank. They also will make one any color.

Tyler

OZQUAD44
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Tyler
If you machined the outer sides of the KXF swingarm and take a bit of material out of the frame, could the KXF swinger be made to fit inside the dirt bike chassis?

Whilst your looking at that could you please measure the KFX swingarm centre to centre. I would like to see if it is any longer than a 87 KXT250 one.

code200k
02-11-2010, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=Kintore;833907]Hey!

Looks like we run the same plastics! You are the ONLY other set I have ever seen in my career on 3ww.
one banana two banana lol...nice build so far

OZQUAD44
02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
GO Here: http://www.ozatv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

And read the about the rebuild of an 83R you will see how the bloke has done a good job by combining two seat pans into one seat.

In your case a kfx450 rear seat and the front of a klx450r

250rmanfmf
02-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Tyler
If you machined the outer sides of the KXF swingarm and take a bit of material out of the frame, could the KXF swinger be made to fit inside the dirt bike chassis?

Whilst your looking at that could you please measure the KFX swingarm centre to centre. I would like to see if it is any longer than a 87 KXT250 one.

Hey, The kfx450 swingarm still wont fit with machine work. The measurement opening is 7 3/4 inchs for the swingarm, while a kfx450 swingarm is 9 3/4 width. The overall length of the swinger is 22 inches, also I could remove about 3/4 of an inch max out of the frame but I will see when I get that far. I plan on possible having the guy build swingarms to work for the tecates to work with kfx450 swingarms. The guy building it is a great faber, I plan on him making lots of parts for trikes.
when you say measure center to center, what were you refering to?

Thanks
Tyler

250rmanfmf
02-12-2010, 01:01 AM
GO Here: http://www.ozatv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

And read the about the rebuild of an 83R you will see how the bloke has done a good job by combining two seat pans into one seat.

In your case a kfx450 rear seat and the front of a klx450r

Very interesting! I will see if I will have to do something like that when I get (or find) a kfx450 seat.

Tyler

OZQUAD44
02-15-2010, 09:39 AM
I meant from the centre of the bearing holes at the front of the swingarm to the centre of the bearing carrier. If you say the overall length of the swingarm is 22 inches, I'm guessing the centre to centre measurement would be about 20 inches, give or take.

I might just wander out to the shed and see how long and wide my KXT swinger is....... Be back in a mo!

OZQUAD44
02-15-2010, 10:14 AM
OK heres a 1987KXT swingarm measurement run down

the external width at the engine end is 198mm (just under 8 inches)

the internal width (where the rear of the engine case would sit inside the swingarm) at the engine end of the swingarm is 105mm (about 5 1/4 inches)

the distance from the centre line of the engine bearing holes at the engine end of the swingarm to the centre line of the shock linkage is 198mm (just under 8 inches)

the length of the swingarm from centreline of the engine bearing holes to the centreline of where the bearing carrier would sit is 470mm (18 4/5 inches)

In conclusion, sounds like the KXF swinger will add about an inch in length over the 86.87 KXT swinger. But the KXF swinger is still about an 1 and 3/4 wider than the Tecate swinger at the engine end. You can take about 1/4 inch out of the tecate frame really easily but it sounds like this conversion may not be as easy as I first thought. Damm shame that.

250rmanfmf
02-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Most likey it wont fit the tecate cause of the way the swinger is at the mount point. It doesnt allow you to remove any matieral without weakening the swingarm.

Also here are some more pics of more parts I got. Found a seat!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like it will fit nicely but the front tank mount on both the seat and the tank will need some small mods to fit correctly but looks like it will work.

Hopefully within the next month you will see a rolling chassis as swingarm and triple tree work will be started within the month.

Thanks

250rmanfmf
02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
here are more pics of the seat, Rads, footpegs, Carb

xmode
03-01-2010, 04:04 AM
well done....i think that it will be great.....waiting for more progress......!

audioworks04
03-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Looks good, looks like you will have the same problem that I did with the shifter being way too short, but thats an easy fix. Cant wait to see some progress.

MagicJames
05-20-2010, 03:14 PM
How is This build coming? I want to see the first kawi 450 conversion

falloutboy
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Talk about a cliff hanger. 2 years with no updates?!

Dirtcrasher
02-12-2012, 11:04 PM
It's a 4 year build or he's gone on to something easier.......