PDA

View Full Version : Computer/Router question

Mosh
01-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I have Highspeed internet on my desktop PC.
I have a older Toshiba laptop with Window's 2000 on it.
I want to share my internet with it from My cable modem.

The toshiba,has a USB port and a standard phone line modem in it.

My question is,what is needed to set-up the laptop to share the net off My pc modem.I would like it to be wireless so I can use the laptop in the garage and stuff.
Apprx cost on the router?I was thinking from Best -Buy.

Do I need to buy any hardware for the laptop?
Or can I just get a wireless router and plug something in to the usb port of the laptop so I can get on the net.
Sorry,but I am very un-educated on pc networking.
Thanks

hinddee29
01-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Hey have you looked on Google for it? Tons of info. Best buy might even be able to answer your question.
Anyway Doug has wireless. Every time I go over there he says it runs slow because he is to far away from his router. His hanger is about as for as your garage is from the house. So many that should be a question to how far is to far. Or should it work for anywhere?

Shane

Dammit!
01-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Plug your high speed internet modem into a wireless router.

Plug your desktop directly into the router via ethernet cable or USB. They typically have four ethernet ports in addition to their wireless capability.

Get a USB wireless adapter for the laptop.

Cost? Not sure. Been a while since I bought any computer hardware but I'm thinking a hundred bucks will get you rolling.

atctim
01-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Guys - all you need should be a 4 port router - $50 - $60 bucks @ Kmart / Walmart / Staples. PM me if you want some help - I can give you a call and walk you through this.

DeePa
01-05-2008, 11:48 AM
he wants wireless...

so you would need a wireless card for you laptop and a wireless router. 100 bucks would do it. its really easy.

usb wireless card is the way to go. might have to worry about some compatiability issued with the usb drive in the toshiba though.

mike

oldsking86
01-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I think Doug nailed it down on the set up and Tim got the prices right.. Office Depot has Linksys ones for $50, that's all I recommend for my customers. I do wireless networks and mini office ones all the time.

Mosh
01-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks,guys.
I am gonna go look at some stuff here shortly.50-60 bucks sounds good.
Will I need something for the laptob to make it wireless then,so I can use it in different rooms/garage.Can both computers be online at the same time?

I have seen those little blue plug in things(guessing some type of remote antenna)That go on the labtop.
Will that come with the wireless router?

Mosh
01-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Ok you answered my question oldsking.
So I buy a wirelss router and reciever kit for the laptop coreect?
And that will be 50-100 bucks?

oldsking86
01-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Yea you either need a wireless card or USB adapter, go with the USB, it's easier haha

The blue thing is an ethernet cable, that's what you plug your desktop into the router with. THe router has built in antennas already.

Mosh
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
So the usb adapter will plug right into the usb port on the laptop to recieve the signal.
Is there any software I need to add to the laptop,anything that might already be installed in it to look for?

Sorry for all the dumb questions,I am lost with computers.

oldsking86
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
total Price, $50 bucks for the router and another 40-50 for the USB adapter for your laptop and you should be set.

EDIT Yea the software will come with the adapter and the router software also, just follow the instructions on the CD's they give you. If you run into troubles you always have us on here haha If your Desktop is the XP operating system setting up the router is quick and easy! Same for the laptop, upload the driver disc, plug in the adapter and that's it :)

Mosh
01-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Ok thanks. I will let you know how it pans out.
The pc I am on now is XP.
The laptop is window's 2000.
It is old,But I do not need it for much,and it was free.
Just to look up parts and stuff while I am out in the garage,and a spare when the wife and kids are on the computer,there is another to surf the net with.

Mosh
01-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Is this a decent wireless router?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&id=1051384663529

Howdy
01-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Is this a decent wireless router?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&id=1051384663529
I use that same style router here at home and at the shop, and they work fine.

At the shop we use a usb adapter like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WUSB11-Wireless-B-Network-Adapter/dp/B00005AW1H
This was very easy to set up ( plug it in ), but that is with XP and 2000 may need divers that should come with it or available online.

I tried to call to help out, but got no answer. ;)
Howdy

Mosh
01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks Howdy.Yeah I split out the door to go shopping around.Ended up burning 2 hours for the wife to get new clothes.LOL
So I did not have much time to look at my options.
Another member may be hooking me up with the items,so I am gonna see what goes there.
I did manage to get a few minutes in Best Buy.
Ended up with some new speakers for the PC.
Speaking of,we are gonna be in the market for a new pc in the spring.
Man the new stuff is awesome.I have to spend a good 8 hours playing with them later, to see what I like.Hope fully then,I will network all 3 computers.Thanks for all the help guys.I learned a lot today.

The Goat
01-05-2008, 06:35 PM
depending on how far away your garage is, you may want to get one with a slightly longer range. but, i have the cheapest one, and it works across the yard in the shop. for a 1X figure 80 yards if both are out in the open and there isn't any interference.

Howdy
01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
depending on how far away your garage is, you may want to get one with a slightly longer range. but, i have the cheapest one, and it works across the yard in the shop. for a 1X figure 80 yards if both are out in the open and there isn't any interference.

I added two different attenna's and increased the range of the shop router to over 600 ft. The attenna's cost $20 or so. I am currently working on moving the router and a few other things ( trying to get 1000ft+ ).
Howdy

oldsking86
01-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Computers, a treasure trove of fun if you know what everything is haha there is sooo much to learn but when you do it makes it way easier! haha Glad we all could help ;)