PDA

View Full Version : Eton Viper 90????

toolgirl
05-27-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some input on the E-ton Viper RXL 90 quads? I would like to buy something new that my son can get started on. I have heard a lot of people say that these off-brands are junk, but I looked at one at a dealership and was impressed, and the salesman actually recommended the Eton over the Raptor 80. He SAID they are basically the same quad, the thing is I found a really good deal on the E-ton and I can't really afford a name-brand right now. I just want to get the kid started on something. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

skippy
05-27-2003, 11:42 PM
tim sr can give ya the low down on the etons! but from what i heard its a nice bike for the dollar!

TimSr
05-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Aside from different plastic, and some having different pipes, the E-Ton, Polaris, Alpha, Sundiro, DRR, Impulse, Blazer, and several other name mini quads are all made at the same place, and use interchangeable parts. These quads are very well made, and will suffer a lot of abuse, that most kids dont normally put them through, but mine does! These are a true automatic, variable V-Belt tranny which mean the gearing actually changes as you are riding, by how high the belt rides in the pulley. The downside of that is if you ride where there are lots of hills, they will free roll, or coast downhill. This problem used to be compounded by them having only hand operated mechanical brakes, which unlike a foot pedal, kids werent strong enough to use very well. The latest models however, use a hand operated hydraulic disk brake, which was desperately needed. Also, because of the wide range of distribution under so many different names, tons of modifications are currently available when the kid outgrows its current capabilities. They are a 90cc two stroke motor, and, are exteremely popular in youth racing classes, as they are easily modified to be real speed demons. I have found Polaris to be the least expensive parts source. For the quad itself, the one wearing the Polaris name is probably the most expensive. These would most closely compare to the Suzuki LT80 if comparing to Jap quads.

The Raptor has absolutely nothing in common with the E-Ton Viper, other than the appearance. The Raptor is a Yamaha Badger with updated plastic. Nothing else has changed. They have an 80cc 4 stroke motor, with a manual shift 3 speed gearbox, with an automatic clutch. Though they have mechanical brakes (w/ rear footpedal), they are far superior to the old E-Ton mechanical brakes. Also they will not free roll, and the engine keeps them from running away on steep downhills. They have much more low end power, and will climb about anything, and they also perform a lot better in mud. They are made a lot more solid than the E-Tons, and are a much better machine for woods and trail riding. They are not nearly as well suited for competition as the E-Ton. They also cost a lot more!

My son has both an E-Ton and a Raptor, and we use the E-Ton for Motocross racing and it works better in the dunes, but we use the Raptor for trail riding, and Harescrambles (cross country) racing.

toolgirl
05-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the help! Now that I have more info. I can make my decision! I appreciate it!

johndglynn
04-12-2011, 11:50 PM
well said TimSir, anyway sorry for posting in this thread. Im just looking for a review for a E Ton ATV Parts (http://www.jcwhitney.com/for-your-atv-or-utv/e-ton/c133m251j1s19.jcwx). anyway i dont know much of the quad, but it seems viper and raptor are one of the best to go for racing.

Jerm1179
04-13-2011, 03:17 AM
my nephew had a little Eton 90 when he was younger..they still have it....it rips pretty good..nice little quad