PDA

View Full Version : Tecate headlight shroud & air scoops

ATCT
01-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Brand new.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Tecate-Headlight-Shroud_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43973QQihZ004QQi temZ140196482960QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Tecate-Radiator-Shrouds_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43973QQihZ004QQ itemZ140196483601QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

chris200x
01-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Yup. He makes them and is also a member here. I wonder why he dont make more? I only ever see them listed once in a while?

ATCT
01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
They seem to be made really well. If I actually had an 86 or 87, I'd have no problem putting them on. We now just need to get someone to start making replica gas tanks for all Tecate models.

250rulzes
01-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I believe its called supply and demand....

brrcuda
01-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Without hornetpowersports - most of the tecates out there today would be cosmetically challenged. I commend him and his work is the best. The color is near spot on to original kawi plastics. I have a headlight shroud and think its great...

Now if we could only entice him to produce some obsolete honda shrouds....:D

Hornet does it smart - timed release of product.

ATCT
01-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I believe its called supply and demand....

Oh, I think there's more than enough Tecate owners out there with shitty looking green tanks that would purchase a new tank if they had the chance. At least worth enough for him to do one run of them.

tecat-z
01-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Prolly not a easy thing to do. With the injection molding and the built in nuts. But it would be great to see oem replicas. I know it's been covered before, but i'm tellin ya, ims or clark would make money on tanks. Theirs are around $180 for a 250r. If a tecate tank would come in at close to that, they would sell. But again, exact duplicates, other than the necessary gas filler neck change.

ATCT
01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh, I agree with you. I'm sure they're not easy. However, as you said, if they were exact replicas, I think they'd sell a bunch. It's a major thing getting in the way of many people doing some spot on restorations.

Orangecnty250r
01-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Oh, I agree with you. I'm sure they're not easy. However, as you said, if they were exact replicas, I think they'd sell a bunch. It's a major thing getting in the way of many people doing some spot on restorations.

Spot on is ALL OEM :D :lol: Hornets stuff is very nice (do you really think he makes this stuff himself?) I am sure he worked his way in with a supplier ...you can buy the rights to a mold. Thats why he sells them sporadically....put them on ebay all the time and you start getting 15.00 a piece for them if they sell at all. Ive seen them bid up to over 150.00 before....He has every right if he was man enough to put the coin up. I bought a set a while back. I haven't used them yet but they are very nice, 86/87 Tecates were the lowest number production units of the big three...Yes they would sell a good handful of tanks but the aftermarket companies look for great production numbers than that....thats why they havent done it yet...people have asked and begged. I am sure someone..anyone.... if they wanted to invest and put the coin up for a tank mold fees etc, could have them made.....tons of companies offer that kind of service on the net, the question is would you see a real return on the investment...I know that someone who wont be investing is the Tecatekid;)
OC

Hornetpowerspor
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
I dont personally make the shrouds. I love the sport of 3 wheelers, I grew up on them and love to ride them. I have already looked into having tanks made. About a year and a half ago I all but begged clark to make them. There isnt enough demand there. Then I talked to a tool maker that works in a plastic shop about a tank mold. The problem is the tanks cant be injection molded, you have to use what they call a blow molding process. To have the mold made alone would cost upwards of 20-30 THOUSAND dollars. Thats not including the plastic, brass inserts etc....Then you have to work with them on getting the color to match perfect,If I knew that I could break even within a years time I would be all over it... But being realistic It wont happen there is just not enough of them out there.

ATCT
01-07-2008, 10:40 PM
20 to 30 GRAND!!! Holy crap. That's a ton of dough. No wonder why no one has made any. Well, I guess it was a thought. A bad one on my end, but a thought nonetheless....:lol:

Too bad this post isn't in the main section. I think people would be interested in hearing just how much it costs to have some of these things made. It certainly is news to me.

vintagemotorsports
01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
tooling is the biggest part of any reproduction part . I have recentley started investing in manufacturing some repro parts for the US90s and other small bore trikes . My buddy is a mechanical engineer and has done alot of work with plastic injection molding , he said it would cost somewhere in the 80-100 thousand dollars to make an injection mold for a full size ATC rear fender , the big manufactures pumped out 100s of thousands fenders per mold so this makes the tooling cost a wash those are the types of numbers you need to make to make it worth while , the material cost per fender to injection mold is peanuts , its all about volume , thats why you will never see injection molded repro parts most are vac formed dirt cheap to do . I have looked into US90 tires also you are looking at 100s of thousands of dollars to retool that tire it will never happen you would never get back a fraction of the tooling costs , I respect anybody who steps up to do it though its a big gamble Mike

Meat-BoX
01-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Would it be cost effective to make a run of 86/87 Honda headlight shells? I know just about everyone who has that model need a headlight shell. I just got all new plastics but am stuck with a beat and broke headlight shell. Im shure those would sell.