PDA

View Full Version : 88 fourtrax 4x4 rear help

djhotrod
01-20-2008, 08:28 PM
my 88 fourtrax 300 4x4 has developed a noise in the rear not sure if its the gears or a bearing will hopefully get it apart tomorrow. worse comes to worse anybody know where i can get a new diff for it tried looking on ebay all i saw was a rebuilt one for 399 also anybody know what other year/models would fit this thanks for your help

RedRider_AK
01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
All Fourtrax 300 rear ends will fit on yours, I believe. They're very plentiful, so a good idea would be to pick up another one for parts.

Lomax
01-21-2008, 12:22 PM
If your read end is still pulling then it should be rebuildable for around 250 at any local shop. Seems high but a new one is closer to 750 from honda. I rebuiild these fairly often so with a little skill (and one specialty tool) you should be able to perform the work yourself
-Will

djhotrod
01-21-2008, 04:09 PM
What is the special tool i work in a automotive shop so if its like building a car rear i can handle it thanks for the help

Lomax
01-21-2008, 06:33 PM
There is a keeper ring that helps hold the pinion gear in place. It looks like the inside of a 12 point socket, only inside out. When it comes to the small needle bearing at the end of the pinion shaft i usually use a dremel tool to grind/cut a large portion of it, then i use a punch to impact the race from the side (there is a small hole that you can fit a punch in for impact) and it usually comes out. If you are too rough with it then you can break the housing around that bearing so be careful. I am building on tommorow if I can remember I will take the camera out there with me and take a few pics so you can see how its done.
-Will

djhotrod
01-21-2008, 07:34 PM
that would be great hopfully this week I can get it to my work and pull it apart to see whats wrong also the swingarm bolt seems to be broken they have like 16mm allen bolts on either side are they two separate bolts? I have no big allen keys here and forgot to bring some home from work today

Lomax
01-22-2008, 03:14 PM
there 17mm. There is a keeper on one side (if i remember right) that you will have to "play" with to get out if you do not have the honda tool.
-Will