PDA

View Full Version : Fatty pipe & RAM valve??

10-11-2002, 10:00 PM
Next week is quarterly bonus time at work, and this weekend is my birthday too, so.... Im thinkin about treatin myself to a few new parts for the R. What opinions do ya'll have about an FMF Fatty pipe, an FMF RAM valve, one of those machined aluminum exhaust flange thingees, and a carb re-jet for my '85 250R (Honda) ??? Anyone have any experience with this combination or any other ideas? Right now the only performance motor mod I have is a K&N with Outerwears and no air box lid. Do you think it'll be worth it to spend 350 or so bucks on that pipe/valve/flange/jet combination?? I ride mostly desert and trails and do a few jumps and hillclimbs. I dont mostly need power in short bursts at low to mid rpms. High rpm flat-out top speed isnt too useful for me cause I usually dont have enough wide open area to use it. I guess Im looking for MX type power. What do ya'll think?

10-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Sorry, made a typo. One of those sentences should have read: "I mostly need power in short bursts at low to mid rpms."

RichinMO
10-11-2002, 10:20 PM
The pipe, ramvalve, and rejet will make a big difference. The aluminum flange isn't really a performance mod, it will help if you port and polish since it is already pretty much "polished" on the inside. I just put one on my bike from Eddie Sanders Racing. The stock flange didn't seal worth a crap with its one metal split ring, the aluminum has 2 rubber like gaskets and seals like a champ. Is your 250R the one that was restored on Desert Union?

10-11-2002, 10:50 PM
Nope, I think that one is Paul's, check with him to find out for sure. My 250R is on there though, in the readers rides section, along with my buggie which Im hoping to trade for a dirt bike, or sell for cash so I can put a motor and brakes in the Bronco. Looks like I'll get the pipe flange then! Thanks for the info.

OldSchoolin86
10-12-2002, 09:36 AM
I had the fatty on my 86 with boysen reeds. I really liked it, it made a big difference. I wish I would have got the trick flange though, you can loose a lot of power with a bad seal. I think you have a good combo going there.