PDA

View Full Version : opinion on plastic tanks

BigReds Forever
10-27-2002, 08:13 PM
what do you guys think of them? id like a steal but cost will prevent this.

MR ATC
10-27-2002, 10:19 PM
i personally think plastic is the only way to go on any off road machine

10-29-2002, 02:33 AM
I agree, I havent had any problems with the plastic tank on my 250R. The steel one one the 200X, however, has begun to rust on the inside.

Billy Golightly
10-29-2002, 11:26 AM
I'm one of the few that don't care for plastic tanks I guess. I like metal gas tanks. Give me something I can paint after its faded.

86waterpumper
10-29-2002, 04:04 PM
plastic tanks are alot better at not rusting, and are probably the best chocie for low maintenance, but I don't feel that they look as good especially on the older utility trikes. But one thing to remember, they will burst or crack, my kdx plastic tank cracked last summer, right around the petcock area. So I don't guess any of them are maintenance free necessarily

MR ATC
10-29-2002, 04:31 PM
wow none of my plastic tanks have ever cracked or faded but all my steel ones dented,rusted,pealed paint,and hurt the old gonads.plus plastic is lighter

Billy Golightly
10-29-2002, 05:32 PM
Every plastic tank that I've ever seen that has been around for a period of time has faded. Same goes for metal gas tanks with dents and rust. Good thing about metal gas tanks with dents/peeling paint/faded is you can fix those. Little bit of bondo, paint, and something to throw inside the tank along with a solevent and your good to go. You can fix cracks on plastic gas tanks with fiberglass I guess as long as looks don't concern you. I just personally have always prefered metal tanks and probably will until the plastic ones get alot better.

Tri-Z_Jim
10-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Good thing about Yamaha is most of thier plastic tanks are hidden under the plastic,and the tri-z's is black and under the seat.
Ups and downs on both. Plastic tanks are lighter than steel.Plastic tanks usually melt thru about a minute after they fall down onto the exaust,or the exaust gets bent up and touches the tank.Steel tanks are easier to fix up and paint.Steel rusts inside and out and most of the time through,I think I patched about 10 or so 200x and a big red tank.Both steel and plastic tanks have the same effect when the family jewels slam into them :) I personally like plastic tanks,although most vintage bikes would look like sh*t with plastic gas tanks.

mtbikr
12-05-2002, 11:31 PM
I gave $115 for a plastic clarke tank for my 350x. Tried the liners twice then gave up. I was tired of smelling like a fuel attendant. I got mine in White, its a very bright white. I even got some honda wing stickers for it but the first time I spilled gas on them they got sticky and came off. But I still love my shiny white tank. Anyone have any suggestions on the honda wing stickers?

Joel85350X
12-09-2002, 07:26 PM
To install stickers on a plastic gas tank requires a little bit of preparation. First of all, the fumes from gasoline precipitate through plastic. This causes bubbles to form underneath your stickers and eventually causes them to peel or the fumes burn through them. This can be eliminated by coating the gas tank with something like the Kreem Kit or equivalent gas tank liner. Do it twice, because it sux to have to pull it off and recoat it.

Next, you're going to have to clean the sticker area VERY good with rubbing alcohol. Do it several times, and don't stroke back and forth. Put the alcohol on a paper towel and stroke in one direction only. This way you will not be smearing. That shiny tank is very dirty when you get it, no matter how clean it really looks. Then, with clean hands apply the decals. Make sure to work all of the bubbes out.

This said and done, you should have a very good seal that will not be penetrateable by gasoline or any other fluid from the inside or out.

Also, don't buy those cheap sticker on e-bay with a buy-it-now price of $14.95. Those are cheap pictures printed on sticker paper. If you make them and sell them on ebay, YOU SUCK! Real decals from Honda or Yamaha are the ONLY way to go, period.

Personally, I am a steel tank kinda guy. I like refinishing them, though, and that might have something to do with it. :)

Joel85350X
12-09-2002, 07:29 PM
One more thing, coating the tank when you first get it brand new will also prevent the tank from fading so fast. The gasoline dyes the inside of the tank a yellowish color, and you see it through the wall of the tank on the outside. By coating it, the tank will have thicker and less iridecent walls. Plastics all break down and fade after a certain period of time, though, and this cannot be avoided.