PDA

View Full Version : How does a replica vintage sled sound??

Custom200
01-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I recently piced up a 1972 arctic cat jag for very cheap but it has no motor. I was looking through some pics at this site http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/RACE_PAGES.html
Any ways i came acroos a photo of a vintage arctic cat racer which has a very simmaliar body style(when i do the neccasary cutting of the hood) . for the power i've been looking and have came acroos a few 500 skandic motors and what not..I,m gonna try to make a can...(try is the key word) i will have the full stock exhaust handy to put on in case i dont succeed. The thing is this isnt gonna be a high dollar recreation...just a thorwback to those old sled for a fun project to keep me occupied. Any imput is welcome...espically on making the can???

Its the one on the far left of the pic

honda250sx
01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
First off vintage sleds rock! Secondly they never built a 72' Jag. The sled that is pictured is a 73 arctic cat EXT race sled. If you have one of these they are VERY desirable. Even just the chassis. Check ebay! If you do indeed have one of these chassis, put it on ebay and sell that thing. Tough to find parts for the 73 EXT as they are a high comodity and very sought after. The first year for the jag was 76 2000 series. equipped with a very nice 275cc suzuki spirit free air engine with nippendenso ignition that was bulletproof. Very fun sled. It was my first sled at the age of 10. Good luck. Please post pictures of your chassis

Custom200
01-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah sorry bout that it is a 76 and it did have the 275 spirit motor....72 was based on what i was told buy m,y friend i got it off thanks for the right year. I will post pics when i get the girlfriend to bring her camera in tommorow or the next day.

RedRider_AK
01-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey Custom 200. A guy on the site was wondering how to build custom cans, and this is what I replied to him with:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showpost.php?p=583208&postcount=16

That should be a heck of lot of info.

Custom200
01-27-2008, 07:45 PM
heyy...thanks..that will help alot. with help like this i think this project will turn out pretty good

RedRider_AK
01-27-2008, 07:53 PM
heyy...thanks..that will help alot. with help like this i think this project will turn out pretty good

Tell me how it works out. Now that I have a complete garage full of tools and hardware, I will probably end up doing something similar.

Custom200
01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Yeah so i've made alittle more progress. I have stripped it down to the frame and painted it all. Also i have put 250 Bravo motor in it.(temporaily) I'm gonna use this to burn around with untill i get a larger one. I think this is better because now i can use it and save more money to get a better motor in the spring. .:twisted: Also with no snow then it won't tempt me to drive it and i will do a better job taking my time. Along with that this week im gonna pick up the materials to start making the can.:twisted: .Sorry bout no pics yet but hopefully tommorow( girlfriend was studying for exams today)

RedRider_AK
01-29-2008, 03:33 AM
Sounds good. Keep me and the other 3ww people posted. I wanna see video of the sound as well!

Generally, even the best constructed can won't sound great on a fan/free-air sled. I don't know why, maybe it's because the engine runs different, but you can never get a decent sounding BRAAAP out of a fan-cooler. I let a friend stick one of my AAEN hillclimb pipes (with mini-stingers on the ends of the pipe, like a single peice pipe and glasspack can all in one) on his StarLite 250, and it sounds nice-ish, but it's like a loud lawnmower, and not a sick racing sled.

Maybe with high compression, or some other go-fast mods, it would be different. But, that's my experience.

trimoto.125
02-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I put a bravo engine in my jag and the accel sucked the gearing is too high for that lil 250 popper. Tell me what your results are because there could have been something that i have missed and thats why it won't go.Thanks trimoto.125

Custom200
02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
well havent got to try it yet because of alotof lackof snow. well to much rain....it sucksso the pit bikeisout for a while. were suposedto have snow the next couple of days:w00t: so ill let ya know....most of the major work on this is put off till i get a decent motor .

trimoto.125
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
we just got aprx 15cm of snow and its still going, the forcast says its heading your way in a day or two.

RedRider_AK
02-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Any progress yet? You should be working on that engine! Porting and polishing, something you can do for hours while it's raining.

brapp
02-15-2008, 03:21 PM
when you find a 73 king kat liek i have let me know and the formula@ next to the ext is the other sled my grandfather had givven me from when he raced for team arctic in 73-74

RedRider_AK
03-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm bumping this thread for an update...

I recently got a StarLite 250 fan-cooler, and I'm in the process of tearing it apart. I'm going to be running a thinner base gasket on it for a slight compression boost, a bigger carb, an AAEN pipe or something similar, and am probably going to be porting and polishing the engine for a little extra get-up-and-go.

Custom200
03-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah sorry bout no progress....i sold my skidoos and atc/atvs/dirtbikes ....Bought a 1990 chevy 1500 and a mean 350 motor plus goodies..