PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a bottom end?

TwoHundredEx
01-28-2008, 09:57 PM
How do you guys ship a bottom end?
Seems like I'd need a pretty big box to fit over the studs sticking out, and even then, I'd be worried about them getting bent or breaking during shipping.
A lotta styrofoam, and padding?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/Legacy44/Picture127-1.jpg

super90
01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Make a wooden crate for it. If your worried about the studs getting bent I would put a block of wood between all 4 so they cannot bend inward or snap.

Louis Mielke
01-28-2008, 11:30 PM
A wooden crate would weigh an awful lot. I always ship engines in a heavy duty rubber made tote. Go to Lowes and they should have what I'm talking about. DON"T USE STERILITE brand totes. They're brittle and won't hold up. The rubber made ones are nearly indestructible.

Drill holes around the edges and run zip ties through the holes, sinch em down tight. WALLA! Instant engine crate (don't forget to pack the empty space with newspaper)

Take it to UPS and they'll slap the label on the lid and send it on its way.

4cylinders
01-28-2008, 11:33 PM
hey, take the studs and kicker off.

TwoHundredEx
01-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the idea's guys. 4cylinders, how do you remove the studs?

Louis Mielke
01-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Couple different ways to do it. There's a tool to do it, also you can back two nuts against each other and use a wrench. Kinda risky sometimes. You can mess up the threads in the cases, twist the studs. etc etc.

If they don't come out easy then stop and try some heat. Just don't force it.

TwoHundredEx
01-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Couple different ways to do it. There's a tool to do it, also you can back two nuts against each other and use a wrench. Kinda risky sometimes. You can mess up the threads in the cases, twist the studs. etc etc.

If they don't come out easy then stop and try some heat. Just don't force it.

Oh okay, I was under the impression that they were pressed in for some reason.
I'll try that, thanks.

TwoHundredEx
01-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Well I got them out, fairly easily too. Thanks a lot for the help.
The only thing left now is the timing chain guide.

Brockey
01-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Storm Impulse shipped me a 200x bottom end before xmas. He just suff in newspapers and it turned out fine. A carboard box taped all around.

Kintore
01-29-2008, 12:56 AM
I got my new motor shipped in a cooler! worked real good.

jason 32
02-12-2008, 03:31 AM
stiff styrafoam would have been fine- just lable it as up,and down, and fragile-