PDA

View Full Version : a bad center case gasket?

dirtbike77
10-27-2002, 08:34 PM
i have a 86 250r? i was wondering will the engine performance be bothered by a bad center case gasket?

YTZ250N
10-27-2002, 08:58 PM
anywhere that air can leak into the motor is bad. if you get the cases split use some threebond 1104 gasket in a tube. That stuff works real good. When you get air into the motor without mixing it with fuel it leans out and doesn't have enough oil and it will burn down.

dirtbike77
10-30-2002, 10:02 PM
would it have an effect on.... oil entering the crankshaft area, or oily plugs.... the piston and rings was just recently replaced?

GlennMc
10-30-2002, 10:34 PM
If there is a leak between the transmission and the crankcase, oil will get sucked into the crankcase during every cycle of the engine. This will then get burned when it transfers into the cylinder and ignites. The leak can occur through the gasket like you are wondering or through the primary seal which is on the left end of the crankshaft I think. I once took apart an '86 CR250 engine which belonged to a friend and we discovered a leak at this seal. Watch your transmission oil level. If it mysteriously decreases you know the oil is going up in smoke. It could also spell doom for your transmission if it drops too far. Good luck with the repair, GlennMc.