PDA

View Full Version : how can i run a vin to see if a bike is stolen?

3Wheelers4Life
01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
ok, so im thinking about trading for an xr100 that does not have a title. but first i want to run the vin of it to make sure its not stolen, because i possibly would like to get a title for it.
how can i run the vin? can i call the local police, or the dmv, or the state police and have them run it? or can anyone run it for me? Thanks!

Howdy
01-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Try your local Police first. If they can't help you they should be able to tell you who can. :)
howdy

firehart
01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Do you have a receipt or a bill of sale from the people you got it from? I bought a sl70 when I was in high school that did not have a title. I rode it for a couple of years, carried in the back of my pickup all around town and rode it all over the desert. When I was moving out of town I sold it to my neighbor. he tried to get a title and it came up hot. I have to give the neighbor back his money and the cops took the bike. they kept asking where I got it. Because I was under 18 they never really pushed it. I just said a kid at school. Atfer the cops left I called the kid and got my money back.

cr480r
01-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Definatley run the numbers before buying... I learned this lesson the hard way... Dont trust anyone without paperwork... period...

ATC-Eric
01-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Contact your local highway patrol office. They will ask the vin, then your contact info incase it comes back hot.

atctim
01-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Yup - these guys are right - call you local State Police barracks and tell them what you are doing - and they will run the numbers for you.

hrc200x
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Would it come up stolen if it was stolen from another county, city, or even state? Or is the database at the cop shop just for the local city or county?

3Wheelers4Life
01-30-2008, 09:17 PM
ok guys thanks, i figured id call the state police, but i did not know if they would be bothered with it. thanks.