PDA

View Full Version : an Almost good design

TeamGeek6
01-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Heres a brain teaser for you..

Its on a crotch rocket. It's just a carb mounted up and down instead of level, right? Nice float bowl conversion. Beautiful welding.

Whoever set this carb up did a beautiful job, except for one little thing.

Any one see it?

1.) Hows it going to get the rider and bike mangled in a corner?

2.) Will the bike be straight, sideways or backwards when it throws the rider off? (Ive ridden sideways, its :crazy: )

Billy Golightly
01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Looks to me like its gonna empty right back out the fill line as soon as its leaned over :lol:

Yamada
01-31-2008, 10:51 PM
gravity feed???

RedRider_AK
02-01-2008, 04:50 AM
I don't really see what's wrong here... would it flood out as it gets leaned into a corner?

TeamGeek6
02-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Nope. Its one of those forehead slappers...

Its not something inside the carb, but it has to do with the carb. The carb has been modified to work upside down (obviously) and the bowl has a float and float needle, so the contents wont come out.

SWIGIN
02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
......................huh?

RedRider_AK
02-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Hm. I'm assuming it can still meter the fuel correctly, through the jets like it normally does. However, seeing it like that, I can't help but think that it would just constantly have a thin stream of fuel coming out the jets and into the intake.

I'm clueless.

TeamGeek6
02-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Yall are trying too hard. Either stand back 10 feet and look again, or have a 6 pack and try again.

ISnt this fun on a slow winter day?>

ATC-Eric
02-01-2008, 07:13 PM
1. wheres the driver sit?

2. Is it suspended? What happens when the tire comes up?

Macs
02-01-2008, 07:17 PM
I dont know if i am looking at it right, but when the shock is compressed it seems like it would rip that carb right off.

Nick_R_23
02-01-2008, 07:57 PM
That tire would be constantly flinging crap up on to the air filter...at least it would somewhat protect your back!! :lol:

-Nick :TrikesOwn

The Goat
02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
is there a fuel pump or no? cause...the fuel line...it wouldn't feed i don't think.

TeamGeek6
02-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Close, but no cigar. Goats close

Nick_R_23
02-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Does it have to do with the floats letting the fuel in,,, I dont understand the way you have it set up, how they could work??

hadar
02-02-2008, 01:21 AM
I never seen anything like it. How does it get fuel? Does it have a fuel pump or what? Does then needle bind on it's side like that? I give.

scrawny
02-02-2008, 01:37 AM
a carb set up for riding wheelies?

84honda200s
02-02-2008, 02:17 AM
with the carb like that i doubt the seat valve works worth a crap. the floats push up on the seat stopping fuel from going into the bowl. with how its set up the floats wont shut the fuel off to the bowl or they seat will stay closed and wont let fuel in the bowl. either way i dont see it work ing too well unless he modded the inside as well as the outside of that bad boy.

Yamada
02-02-2008, 10:09 AM
If it have a fuel pump, I see no return line??? Also, the fuel needle is normally kind of loose into the slide, with the carb on the side like this one, will the needle enter the tapered seat when the throttle will be let off?

Dirtcrasher
02-02-2008, 05:46 PM
IDK how it could even work? The floats themselves can't work correctly like this unless they have been changed.

I see numerous possible flaws with this but I'm interested to see what your seeing......

TeamGeek6
02-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Does it have to do with the floats letting the fuel in,,, I dont understand the way you have it set up, how they could work??

Its not mine, got the pix from a friend in S.A.

The carb has been turned up so the float wont work. The original float and bowl were removed and the float put in at 90 degrees (the float has to go up and down with gravity regardless of what the rest of the carb does). I dont know all the details of the insides, someone had sent the pix asking me how to do this mod.

TeamGeek6
02-02-2008, 09:36 PM
If it have a fuel pump, I see no return line??? Also, the fuel needle is normally kind of loose into the slide, with the carb on the side like this one, will the needle enter the tapered seat when the throttle will be let off?

If the needle is laying horizontal, it might get tricky, my guess is that itll tend to drag, but thats not it. Has nothing to do with the carb insides.

ITs on a street (asphalt) racing bike, not a wheelie machine. The rubber intake boot and those large stainless clamps will keep the carb out of the rear tire.

Think easier. Its not about performance, its about "what is going to cause one h--- of an accident! And theyll never see it coming until theyre picking the rider up out of a hay bale.

Billy Golightly
02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
bowl drain is going to empty onto the tire?

RedRider_AK
02-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I am still totally lost :lol:

Nick_R_23
02-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Think easier. Its not about performance, its about "what is going to cause one h--- of an accident! And theyll never see it coming until theyre picking the rider up out of a hay bale.

So...all I can think of is that it has something to do with the way the carb sits. Because it seems that it wouldnt cause an accident if it was a normal upright carb??

Few more ideas....

Throttle cable routed wrong/not long enough?

Carb going to act as a brake on the rear tire??

The way it sits causes the bike to rev or somehow go out of control?

Maybe I need to take it on a test run and find out for myself??? :lol:

Nick_R_23
02-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Wait a second...what kind of a motor has the intake THAT FAR BACK???? The carb would be mounted behind the tranny and all....:crazy:

Howdy
02-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Fuel pump return line could pump out gas onto the tire and cause it to crash? Or the fact that there isn't a clamp on the fuel line and it could cause a leak, thus spilling on the tire?
Howdy

TeamGeek6
02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Fuel pump return line could pump out gas onto the tire and cause it to crash? Or the fact that there isn't a clamp on the fuel line and it could cause a leak, thus spilling on the tire?
Howdy

DING DING DING DING

HOWDY SCORES

Its easy to zone in on performance when, sure, thats what its all about, but cant overlook safety when going beyond OEM design. The most dangerous stuff can be laying right out there in the open.

The only two things that might save this from getting ugly are lack of a fuel pump and inner fender blocking the fuel spray.

If that tank discharges on the tire, itll be like trying to catch a greased pig at the County Fair.

I hadn't thought of the bowl drain, which is even more likely to happen than the fuel line, although bowl drains are usually discharged down low and fairly small volume, it isnt going to help the tire.

So, Billy proves that even with a lot of experience, I even need someone to look over my shoulder, especialy when playing with fuel systems.

It doesnt even have to be someone whos expert, just "another set of eyes" - theres plenty of time to think of safety while laying in the hospital.

OldSchoolin86
02-07-2008, 11:50 PM
So, Billy proves that even with a lot of experience, I even need someone to look over my shoulder, especialy when playing with fuel systems.

It doesnt even have to be someone whos expert, just "another set of eyes" So you're the expert I'm guessing and Billy is just another set of eyes? :crazy:

hondahaulic
02-08-2008, 12:54 AM
as long as all the lines are fastend securely and the carb drain line doesn't empty directly infront of the tire, I still dont see any design flaw.