PDA

View Full Version : Any VW techs?(2006 Passat)

J.D.
02-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I recently had to work on one of these fine pieces of machinery, needed new rear brake pads....if you aren't familiar these have the parking braked integrated into the rear calipers with electric motors....anyways, I tried everything I could think of to push em in.....disconnected wire, opened bleeder, pushed piston, turned piston, funny thing is though I couldn't turn the piston to the right any, I could get about 1/4 of a turn to the left, but it didn't go anymore after that. We only have Mitchell at work, so of course I couldn't find anything about it on there(didn't even have a brakes subcategory for it!). After all that bullshit any nobody in the shop having a clue how to push the pistons in, I was ready to park this pile on the train tracks. Any of you guys have a clue??

djhotrod
02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I have alldata at my shop and it shows no procedures for working on these brakes labor times but thats it. I'm guessing 06 was the first year for the electric parking brake i looked up 05 and it showed a caliper with a cable. I havent ran into this yet let me know what you find maybe you need to activate them with a scan tool I hate working on vw everythings always bass ackwards.

Xowner
02-03-2008, 12:18 AM
yes i did a little research on this because i was curious and you need a scan tool to reset the parking brake something called a VAGCOM do a search on it

J.D.
02-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Nope. Just be smarter than the caliper. Another tech wound up getting them pressed in, he just used the rear brake caliper tool and put pressure in on the piston, then took channel locks and turned them right in. Don't know why, but I was using the caliper tool like you would normally and I couldn't get it to turn for love nor money. Oh well...I'll get it next time ;)

Somekindofjerk
02-08-2008, 09:58 PM
You realize if you damage those callipers there BIG cash...

J.D.
02-09-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't care, carmax will pay for it :) I bet they aren't as expensive as some of the calipers I've seen though.

Dirtcrasher
02-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Is it a 12V solenoid? I wonder if you could have just applied 12V to it??