PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade my kids quad?

chris200x
02-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm not too familiar with these four wheeled contraptions but I'm looking to upgrade my son's ride. He's been riding a suzuki quadrunner (lt230G) auto clutch, electric start,, reverse.

I'd like to find something with an auto clutch in the 250-350cc range...

So what's out there that he can grow into and not become bored with right away?

I'm hoping to not spend more than say $1500 or so.

Opinions? :pics:

evand
02-05-2008, 11:46 AM
old fortrax 200, or a utility style 250 honda, but i would look for a new (2000 or so) 4-trax 250, there 250 4 stroke auto 5 spd, but there almost the size of a 400 ex and have alot of aftermarket and go ok for what they are.

smokinwrench
02-05-2008, 12:08 PM
When you start talking auto clutch, e start and reverse in the 250-350 range you don't have a lot to choose from.

Honda 250ex
Suzuki LT250
I'm sure there are some aut quads that might have auto clutch but most have went to cvt trans.

chris200x
02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Hmm, no not much of a choice at all. Let's see,, he's 12 and a little over 100 lbs prolly. Kinda tall for his age... Been riding for a few years now..

Do you guys think he's ready for a manual clutch? what about a blaster? they can be found fairly cheep. I have no experience with them so it maybe a bit too much for the youngin. What do you guys think?

I've heard the honda 250x can be a pretty reliable machine.. Those are kinda sporty arent' they? How much more than the 230?

RedRider_AK
02-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I think a young kid with no manual clutch experience can pick up the skills needed to ride the Blaster in a weekend. They are very simple, you stall one out, well pull the clutch in and kick it a few times and it starts right back up. Kicking it over is easy and it's got a relatively wide RPM range where you can just putt along and it won't stall out.

SWIGIN
02-05-2008, 02:09 PM
id say go with a 250x or 300ex, a blaster is tiny and he will out grow it soon ( size and proformance wise)

the 250x or 300ex offeres a life time of rideing plus you can throw a 350x rightin with 1 motor mount mod when hes tired of a ''little 250'' ..... lol

another thing to keep in mind is they stoped makeing blasters and are still makeing the 300ex (same as a 250x) so parts will be around for a long long time

350Xhilaration
02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
The new model 250EX has the "Sport Clutch" that allows the ease of an auto clutch but still works like a manual clutch when desired.

The Raptor 250 would be the top notch 250 in my book if I were a kid. (Paying for the new Raptor as the dad might not sound as good.)

Any of the older 250EXs would work well too. Shaft drive 4 stroke.

Blasters are cheap and simple, but small. He may feel cramped in a year or two if he's "kinda tall" already.

I'll be facing this same issue in a year or two for my oldest daughter. She'll be growing out of her DS90.

Good luck!!

smokinwrench
02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I would go 300ex all the way. They have been around forever and available with e start and reverse on newer ones.

chris200x
02-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it!

He rode a kawi last weekend and was just tearing it up. and I just can't seem to keep his lt230 running properly very long. Time to dip into the wallet I think. :cry:

Black86tri-z
02-05-2008, 08:33 PM
as soon as i started reading this thread i thought 300ex then i scrooled down and you guys beat me 2 it ,300exs are awsome had a fewjust make sure you buy it in day light so you can see what color is coming out the tail pipe , there all getting older now and seen alot of beat 1's showing up lately, also check the carryers on those things the eat them for lunch but besides that there a awsome little machine and you can weelie them for miles

DeePa
02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
throw him on your 350x

he will learn how to ride that way

RedRider_AK
02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
LOL And possibly learn to use a wheelchair.

chris200x
02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
throw him on your 350x

he will learn how to ride that way

Heck no! I ain't givin up my ride!!! :lol: I should let him try it out around the yard tho to see how he does and let him get the feel of a manual clutch.

He told me he ain't too comfy out on the trails on a trike tho. I seen him come close to wiping out the SX a few times. :rolleyes: Dad feels alot better with him on 4 as well. :TrikesOwn

Heck.. I've been riding trikes for 20 years and I still get scared somtimes.

cr480r
02-05-2008, 09:23 PM
The $1500 budget doesnt leave many options... An lt250 would be great machine if able to kick start it... Light, easy to upgrade, and very stable... the entry level 4-strokes are too heavy IMO...

Lomax
02-06-2008, 04:45 PM
1500 dollar ranger should leave you with a few choices in the sport bike range of
250X
300EX
Mojave
Warrior
There are also some beat 400ex'es and Banshee's out there you could get for that but i am sure you dont want to spend in parts what you spent on the bike in the first week (Newcomer needs not a banshee either). I dont mentoin the Blaster because of the size.
Out of the list that i mentioned above the Mojave is the smallest and Warrior is the largest. When it comes to the 250X/300EX all you need ask yourself is: Is he large enough to kick over a 250 fourstroke in good running condition? If the answer is yes then i would get one of those over the 300EX for a few reasons
1: there older, so a little cheaper (the model range was 87-92 if memory serves)
2: Very little electrical components means less items for the gremlins to get into
3: Nearly every part will interchange with the 300EX so new or used parts shouldnt be a problem.
4: There just damn fun to ride
If this the machine that you choose to seek out then when you find one be sure to check the rear carrier for damage (lots of people like to adjust the chain with a screwdriver and a hammer, breaking the adjustment ring and cracking the carrier, 150-200 for a new aftermarket one). While its rare i have seen problems with the timing chains being worn out and coming off the crank, so if you can devise a way to check that, i would. Check the gas tank for rust (yep, there metal under the skin). Last, change the oil and filter before you ride to make sure that its done right.
The Mojave is a stubborn machine but a blast to ride. My favorite actually. Its a little more complicated than the others with its DOHC head and water cooling. a 10 on the fun factor in my opinion though. Couldnt really tell you what to and not to check on them as i have only ridden and not owned one.
The big bad Warrior. Have seen random problems with electronics but the most common is a ground wire issue that they have. Seen starter problems on other (not that it doesnt work, it just sounds god aweful for some reason). Overall its a comfy machine that after a days ride you will still feel good and not beat to death. The Six speed seems to have all the right gears for any situation wether its fast or slow. The chain adjustment is not near as hard as alot of people make it sound, its more time consuming than anything. The airbox design is not very good, i would purchase a ProDesign Pro-flow intake if this becomes the bike of choice before i got to the house with it. Only other issue i have seen is when you run them up and down the roads wide open for long streches they cannot get enough oil to the topend. I'll let you guess at what comes next.
Hope this helps in your decsion
-Will

SYKO
02-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I still say the blaster, I know I have around 1600 in my gf's blaster now and thats with a built motor, it was able to beat a few 400s at the little drags near here and hang with a few 450s till the end! its light, agile and plain fun! hell I let it flip over on me and it was like I didnt feal a thing! lol!!

here is a video of my neihbors son on it at the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQLGbtt_0o

evand
02-06-2008, 06:19 PM
i wouldnt let the size of the blaster scare you, im 6,3 250 and rode mine fine, sure it wasnt like riding a 450 but i wasnt all that cramped, i dont think its much smaller fealing them my z is......

SWIGIN
02-06-2008, 06:22 PM
thats nuts.... im 5' 11'' and my balls kill me on a blaster

my 110 feels better....lol

oldskool83
02-06-2008, 06:40 PM
250x/300ex...should last him for years. if ya had more ya could get him a new raptor 250...nice quad for 3 grand or so they cost.

cr480r
02-06-2008, 06:52 PM
i wouldnt let the size of the blaster scare you, im 6,3 250 and rode mine fine, sure it wasnt like riding a 450 but i wasnt all that cramped, i dont think its much smaller fealing them my z is......

The difference is your knees dont hit the fenders when you turn on a Z... I am barely 5'10".... and I wouldnt be able to properly ride a blaster with front fenders....

sblt500r
02-06-2008, 09:49 PM
get a 250x. you can;t kill them! till you start screwing with the carb and install one of those cheap carb kits, now mine runs like crap...

Tri-ZNate
02-06-2008, 10:19 PM
get a 250x. you can;t kill them! till you start screwing with the carb and install one of those cheap carb kits, now mine runs like crap...

agreed. Seen them ran without oil, added oil then ran for 2 more years before blowing up. Amazing engineering

350Xhilaration
02-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Disregard my post. I didn't see the $1500 budget the first time thru. :cry: