PDA

View Full Version : blaster trouble

Trimotomike
02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
ok i rebuilt the topend on my sisters boyfriends blaster that had been sitting for a year . ran great for about 2 days then it puked out due to no spark . just wondering if anybody can tell me where to start looking first. coil? cdi? stator? its a 2001 model year . any input would be great .

SYKO
02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
it dosnt pop off any? if the reeds bust on it and it sucks one in it wont run and act like no spark, the reason I know this as my freinds blaster has done it twice, new reeds then it started right up! Ive never heard of the blaster cdi going out, ever. the stator either, possbily the coil, and with a little enginering you cann make almost any coil work for it, but first check all conetions!!! could be as simple as a bad connection especially on that stupid TORS crap on top of the carb!

Derek
02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Take off the TORS box (throttle over ride system) under the nose piece. Its above the cdi box. Also unplug the wires to the throttle and to the carb. This is why my blaster lost spark!

evand
02-06-2008, 12:06 PM
check the coil ground wire, use to come off on mine all the time, broke a few times 2, yami made the wire a bit to short

smokinwrench
02-06-2008, 01:27 PM
I rebuilt a blaster that ran great for a couple hours. At that point it went to crap no spark and backfired and done weird stuff but it always changed.

I found that it had sheered the flywheel key. I makred the flywheel and the end of the crank with a marker. Kicked it over a few times and seen the 2 were moving.

Lomax
02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
On the TORS system. You can cut the 2 wires that go into it and splice them together to bypass it. If you still have no spark check the ground wire form the coil and any other grounds there may be. If still nothing, then get a shop manual for the ohm specs to the stator. After setting for so long it could have gotten some corrosion on the flywheel causing problems. This "pink" blaster that we built last year had this problem.
-Will

Trimotomike
04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
ok i unplugged the (tors) box from above the cdi box cut the 2 wires going to the throttle and the carb still nothing even spliced the 2 going into thr throttle before i cut or unpluged anything still nothing, we just got the motor back from the yamaha shop from getting a full bottom end makeover (crank,rod,bearings,seals ) however the problem did start before the motor was pulled and taken to yamaha so i know it wasnt something they did or the coil because thats brandnew . im kinda baffled here actually completely baffled to be honest .:wondering :confused:

lndy650
04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
if it was the tors it would still have spark unless you hit the throttle so it would start and idle. its most likely the coil or stator do you have a multi-tester?

Trimotomike
04-04-2008, 04:19 PM
unfortunenatly i dont have a multitester , never been much for electrical problem diag but i should buy one . if i unplugged the wires going into the engine itself and put a test light in the plug ends to the motor would one of them create light on the tester if the stator was funtioning properly?? because none do i tried all of them and nothing with the test light grounded to the cylinder head . gonna try to get my hands on a real tester and see what happens .

lndy650
04-04-2008, 06:47 PM
you should have got juice out of them with a test light.... but with a multitester you can test in ohms you just have to figure out which wires theres 2 wires that you have to touch... heres a link of how to test the pickup coil that could be your problem too http://www.rmstator.com/index.php/ATV/Yamaha/Blaster/Blaster_pick-up~pulser_coil/71

Trimotomike
04-08-2008, 07:36 AM
do i need a flywheel puller to get to the pickup coil ??

SYKO
04-08-2008, 09:48 AM
yes, you need a fly wheel puller

lndy650
04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
you dont need a puller to get to the pick up coil the pick up coil is mounted on the outside of the flywheel

Trimotomike
04-12-2008, 10:35 AM
is there anyway to remove the rotor without usung a puller?? the nuts off and it aint budgin . i will be so glad to get this thing out of my garage ...

SYKO
04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
negative....need a puller.

Trimotomike
04-13-2008, 02:02 PM
thanks , just ordered one . i cut the wires going into the (tors) the throttle , the carb and i removed the box under the nose , should i hook all of it back up after i install the new pickup coil ? or just leave it unhooked? also another silly question what needs to be done to properly block off the oil injection setup to run premix?

lndy650
04-13-2008, 04:16 PM
all you have to do to unhook the oil injection is unhook the cable and plug the oil lines

Trimotomike
04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
ok im back put in a new pulse coil checked for fire directly from the stator wire and it lit up one time and now nothing . the magnets on the fly wheel are kinda rusty looking thats my next replaced item im geussing but the charging and lighting coil looking very very dirty . anybody please help im about to set this thing on fire .....

SYKO
04-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I had a bunch of electrical problems with my GF's blaster when I first got it...the remedee: I replaced the flywheel the stator and the coil...hasnt let me down since, all new parts all yamaha, worth the extra bucks but I shoped around got a stator and fly wheel new off ebay for 80 and a coild straight from the dealer for 28

lndy650
04-18-2008, 06:28 AM
let me look today i think i have a blaster bottom end that used to run but the tranny went if i still got it and you want it to try the flywheel/coils its yours