PDA

View Full Version : KTM 540 TECATE fender repair

moose 53
02-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Finally getting around to repairing my tecate fender , cracked it at the dunes, spring 2007.I figured out a good way to fix broken plastic. My camera battery died so I will have more photos tomorrow.:Bounce I cut a Stainless Steel strainer into strips about 5/8in wide. If you have a tig welder you can weld the edges ,keeps the strip from fraying and makes it stronger

moose 53
02-06-2008, 09:38 PM
The plastic repair did not go as well as I wanted . The area of fender to be repaired was thinner then my test fender and the screen started to come through the top side . Needless to say I am disappointed. There has to be some way of repairing old fenders that makes them as strong as new.

scooterroo
02-06-2008, 11:56 PM
plastic welder... i think they sell some kind of fender repair welder thing a mo bob, do a search for plastic welding... good luck. thats a shame they were some nice oem style fenders to. thats why i went ahead and got me the junk maier low profiles to ride with and the oems are being put up.

moose 53
02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
If it was just a matter of welding the plastic together I could do that easy, but the oily plastic is never quit as strong after it is welded. The trick is making the repair as strong as original . :wondering

300rman
02-07-2008, 02:05 PM
ita some kinda tool that comes with plastic filler rod. it works great, and then you can sand and polish the repair, and you wont know it was ever broke.