PDA

View Full Version : SS Bolt Kits

RID3R
02-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Im looking for feedback on SS bolt kits and where else besides ebay can you get them. Im looking for a kit for the 86 t3. Im thinking of having all the major oem bolts cleaned and put back, as I dont want to take a risk with the ss kit. Thats one thing I hate when bolts break. I think I seen some where, that they are more weak then the original bolts... But for smaller things work just fine....? Also are only the gold bolts say you get at the hardware store grade 8? Im sure grade 8 would work for just about anything though? I know all bolts can break, but I remember when an engine mount bolt broke just by starting the engine on the other t3...

3Wheelers4Life
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
as far as i know, the ss bolt kit on ebay is allen head bolts. i dont like that kind.

ATC-Eric
02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Yep, the kits that you get on Ebay are alan head kits. I was advized not to use the kit bolts on the shock linkage and what not, the places where lots of weight will be, so I just used my stockers.

I have the ss kit everywhere else though including the engine mounts. They have held up for over a year. I have removed and installed them a number of times without breaks, strips, or any problems.

MyMistress86R
02-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I've heard from a couple different people that the Fastenerguy kit is the bomb. I've also heard that the suspension bolts are better off staying with stock.

As far as the allen heads, I personally think they give a nice clean look to the machine.

oOGoFastOo
02-07-2008, 02:34 PM
grade 8 bolts will have 6 little dashes around the head and grade 5 will only have 3 on the head of the bolts. stainless is usually stronger than steel but the bigger stock bolts for suspension parts are probably better.

WLL
02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I've heard from a couple different people that the Fastenerguy kit is the bomb. I've also heard that the suspension bolts are better off staying with stock.

As far as the allen heads, I personally think they give a nice clean look to the machine.
the bolt kits are good and strong, the allen heads are great,but the kits are far from complete. many of the big bolts are not there and some of the bolts were usless

ATC-Eric
02-08-2008, 06:34 PM
the bolt kits are good and strong, the allen heads are great,but the kits are far from complete. many of the big bolts are not there and some of the bolts were usless

What kit did you buy?

I got one for the Z, and I used EVERYTHING but the linkage bolts.

WLL
02-08-2008, 07:05 PM
What kit did you buy?

I got one for the Z, and I used EVERYTHING but the linkage bolts.i also got the z kit and 2 others. i sold the z a few years back , what i remember are sprok bolts, wheel bolts, handle bars and a few others. imo it is a cool kit and the only kit i ever saw. the bolts are good and strong

RID3R
02-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Do the bolt kits come with actual motor bolts too, sidecovers etc? ... Thanks for the feedback. I think im going to go ahead and get a kit. Keeping most of the major rear end bolts the same. But where else can I buy these kits besides ebay? Else where, and I may have a chance not to get the allen heads, though they should look nice. Thanks gofast, I didn't know how to really tell myself what grade.

Macs
02-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I have been lookign at these kits for the atc 70 build. They honestly look very cheap. I am still undecided on weather to buy those or just powder coat the existing bolts, if i can find them