PDA

View Full Version : Job Dilema

Macs
02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
I have been offered a job at a very well known chemical plant. It pays twice hourly then my current company pays ( it will equal about the same a year but i will be working only 40 hrs instead of 60 - 100 hrs). It has a great 401k plan ( 7% match plus profit sharing) and plenty of room for advancement. The only downfall is, it is about an hour drive away.

My current job is within 5 minutes from my house. I get a company truck, expense accounts, cell phone and health insurance for my entire family ( there is 4 of us). I have been with them 10 years. They have paid for my degree and treated me like part of the family. They have advanced me from holding a stop sign ( i guess i was cheaper then actually mounting one ) to basically running 1/2 of the company.

I am having major loyalty issues. My current company has been great to me. But if i stay with them there is no room to move up and make more. I will be stuck working alot of hours and not spending time with my family. The new job i will have tons of room for advancement ( i am basically starting out at the bottom of management ) and even more time to spend with the kiddos. I am having a dilema. What do yall think.

edog
02-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I will pick whats behind door #1.

Your new job will require 50 hours of your time a week.At this point your only 10 hours from your other hours a week job of 60 hours.

ATC-Eric
02-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I would go for the new job. The current company has been good to you, but its time you are good to yourself, and family.

60-100 hrs per week is ridiculouis, where is the time to spend with family, and toys?

If you can make the same, and work 20-50% less, I would go for it. Like you said, there is much room for advancement. Once youve been there for a bit, who knows what you'll be making, or doing.

The drive SUCKS, but you would still be home more for the same wages.

Good luck, once again this is just what I would do.

Macs
02-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks, that the way i am leaning. My concious is eating away at me though.

edog - 60 hours is on a slow week. I havnt had a day off since new years and i have worked 14.5hrs everyday. also the new job is a 4-10 work schedule so that would make it 48 hrs.

edog
02-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Dude it's time for a change.

Howdy
02-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Talk to your current employer about this before you make any changes. Don't mention the company your looking at going to. I did this with a company I worked with before and they totally understood my position. We worked out a agreement and I worked for them for another 3-4 years. I only moved for family / Health reasons.
Howdy

Orangecnty250r
02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Talk to your current employer about this before you make any changes. Don't mention the company your looking at going to. I did this with a company I worked with before and they totally understood my position. We worked out a agreement and I worked for them for another 3-4 years. I only moved for family / Health reasons.
Howdy

I was thinking the same thing before I read this.....if you are leaving what do you have to lose...the loyalty has to really work both ways or it IS time to move on.

Dirtcrasher
02-09-2008, 09:41 PM
To me, a good rule is to start looking when you become too comfortable with your job. I always need a challenge and I always need to make more money. I'm at almost 5 years with my employer and it's getting near time to leave. He isn't going to pay me much more and these days you need to be making 30$ an hour and up to live comfortably.

It's nice to know the same people and settle in but once the money stops, it's time to go. When I start a new job I dive right in. I don't hang around and learn, I just start doing it. But when your maxed out then thats it...

I too work 4 - 12 hour days and it is da bomb!!

smokinwrench
02-10-2008, 12:22 AM
In December I switched jobs from a job that was unset hours and worked 60 plus hours per week all the time.

I now drive to a job that is almost an hour away but only work 4 10 hour days. New job is great it did stink the first few weeks until I got to know the guys at the new job. I say wiegh all your options and seriously look at the new job. From what your saying the pay will only go higher. Also make sure they are gonna be a good place to work at, best pay in the world isn't worth being treated like crap all the time.

Russell 350X
02-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Sounds like the new job is a better step than staying where you are at now. Just my .02

Rustytinhorn
02-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Pray about it. He knows.

Macs
02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the info. I spent all day yesterday talking to people that work there. It seems to be great. I checked on there turnover rate. It seems no one leaves unless they retire. o it must be good. I will be a $28 an hr pay increase. So, i think i am going to go for it.

PS: My company couldnt offer me anything close to this. It is a small company. If they matched it i would be making more than the president of my company.

Macs
02-10-2008, 10:14 AM
another thing i want to ad. The only real change from what i am doing now ( beside working alot less ). Right now i am a service provider to the customer. If i take this job i will be the customer overseeing the service provider. So i will just be on the other end of things.

nate b
02-10-2008, 08:52 PM
$28/ hr increase over what you make now? If thats the case, I would have thought about it for maybe a half a second. I hope you were only making 2bucks an hour before, otherwise thats just sickening.

xman23
02-10-2008, 09:48 PM
haha def go for it man, half hour ride isnt anything big, I live in a small town and half the town drives at least half hour to there job, the extra cash and time soent with your family is well worth it.

Macs
02-11-2008, 11:19 AM
$28/ hr increase over what you make now? If thats the case, I would have thought about it for maybe a half a second. I hope you were only making 2bucks an hour before, otherwise thats just sickening.

I am currently making $32. But with that i get the paid insurance for the whole family, cell phone, expense accounts and company vehicle.

I had a phone interview this morning with a guy in NC. I have another one with the plant manager at noon today. The guy told me this morning that i am exactly what they have been looking for. So everything is going good. I will keep yall posted.

SmurfanCoke
02-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Just remember loyalty only goes so far, when u have a family to think about.

If your current employer was to fold up, do you honestly believe that he would care that you were going to be out of work? I think not.

And if u are running half the company at the minute and they can't afford to give you enough money to match the bottom rung of your new employer, then they either need to see a financial consultant, or they are lying...

Remember your family and you must come first, it's a dog eat dog world....

Good luck either way..

johnny's X
02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
FAMILY FIRST. No way would I keep a job that I couldnt see my kids. I left a job that was the exact same way. Trust me iam much happier now. I dont miss any games or family events. Just make sure you ask for TF off in advance.

x.system
02-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I am currently making $32. But with that i get the paid insurance for the whole family, cell phone, expense accounts and company vehicle.

I had a phone interview this morning with a guy in NC. I have another one with the plant manager at noon today. The guy told me this morning that i am exactly what they have been looking for. So everything is going good. I will keep yall posted.

If the new job gives you the same setup, insurnace and such I would do it but if you have to pay the insurance I would weigh the difference along with any other perks. Definatly sounds like a move in the right direction. Also gas prices and driving should play into this, I drive 30 minutes each way and my gas bill is upwards of $75 a week now with gas over $3 a gallon. I fill up on the company account otherwise I would be looking for something closer.

brapp
02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
hell i worked for other epopel for years and drove 2-3 hours a day to diffrent jobs and racked up over 80k a year and stillonly worked for 19 an hour you people that work in factories and make 30+ hr make me soemwhat sick when i have to drive around her for ove ran hour to make 10 bux an hour it sjust rediclious

Macs
02-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Well brapp, i have been lucky. I always seem to be at the right place, at the right time. My older brother works his ass off and doesnt even make half of what i make.

I had my big phone interview today and i dont think it went to well. It was eight people all on speaker phone. It was kinda a mess. They seem to ask me all the wrong questions. The things i was not experienced in seems to be what they asked questions about ( mainly computer programs ). But, maybe it just seemed worse than it was. All those people on speaker phone made me very nervous.