PDA

View Full Version : Cost of building a house in the country?

69HemiGTX
02-10-2008, 08:57 AM
My dad used to build houses in the early to mid-eighties, and I was a kid, so I never paid attention to the details. He later moved into commercial construction, so he wasn't too in-touch with then current $/sqft costs. The last thing he told me was somewhere around $75/sqft for new home construction. I would venture to guess that it's significantly more than that in a rural setting. Plus, since the value of the dollar is so low, it should drive the price even higher. If any of you have built a house in the country, could you please give me an estimate of the overall costs? I'm thinking very long term here, and I would like to have an estimated figure to work with. Don't include the cost of the land, just the house please.

Macs
02-10-2008, 09:59 AM
The weekend home i built in the country cost me $100.8 a sqft. But you have to figure that cost is greatly affected by what part of the country you live in.

69HemiGTX
02-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I was thinking it would be around $100. I plan on building in the Palestine, TX, area (about 180 miles north of you), but it won't be until many years from now. By then the price might be near $150, and for a 2000sf house, that's ~$300K. :(

Macs
02-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Palestine is a nice area. I have looked at moving to fairfield several times and working at the power plant. I drive through there about once a month heading towards Maybank.

Macs
02-10-2008, 11:30 AM
actually if you plan on a 2000sgft home, then the price per sqft will be lower. I built a 998sqft brick home on lake limestone. The home i just finished building in Deer Park ( finished two weeks ago ) was $74.4 a sqft on a 2500 sqft home.

SmurfanCoke
02-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Just to let u know what we're working with on the other side of the ocean, I built myself a 2200sqft bungalow in the country 18 months ago. It cost around $165 (85gbp ) per sqft.

And that was with me working in the building trade, my plumbing and woodwork was free, I did the wood, my brother did the plumbing ( although I did have to get him a signed Liverpool FC champions league shirt!! )

Either way building a house is bloody expensive, but one of the most rewarding things you can do for yourself, enjoy....

brapp
02-10-2008, 07:16 PM
up her ein pa i ahve been workign with a guy buildign a cabin 1800 sq ft and includign well block basement steel beams and concrete pad and havgin ghthe house frames roofed and with no finishign insid eor outside he is already over 100k not uncludign the cost of the land.

nate b
02-10-2008, 08:46 PM
trying to ask what a new house costs is like asking what a new car costs. but $100-110/ sq ft is a good starting point. assuming you own the land.