PDA

View Full Version : This new pricing trend SUKS!!

Dirtcrasher
02-21-2008, 07:43 PM
I think the MAJORITY of us live but don't live WELL.

It seems that all our nice parts are gone from our grasp forever. 300$ for a gas tank, 175$ for 1 tank scoop, 6000$ for an original ATC, 1000$ for a rear fender, 200$ for the front and on and on and on.

I guess I'm throwing in the towel. Some guys make more money in a day than I do in a week, a month or a year and it sure is frustrating.

I guess this is merely a preview of whats to come of our beloved ATC's and there parts, in time only the wealthy will be able to buy nice parts and most of them don't even ride them and prefer to collect them.

I wish I didn't hate quads because the CPSC ruined all of this for me and all of you. :mad:

Thank god I have a few decent parts kicking around :TrikesOwn

atctim
02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
DC - I hear you - I fully hold the CPSC responsible for ruining my favorite sport of all times. I really hold a grudge against them and always will. Why is our hobby ruined by a bunch of over-reactive soccer moms raising kids that have no idea about real life. CPSC comes in and protects the "un-educated" Joe Public - thus crippling us all from what we really love. How did they ever get away with it???????????

I really hate the CPSC for what they did. I know that HATE is a really strong word - but it is how I feel and always will. And look around - things are not getting better - we live in a policed state! Big brother has his final say in all we do - nothing is free about this country anymore. So in closing - it is more than just our beloved trikes going the way of the dinosaur - it is truly about our freedom being taken away little by little day by day.

Sorry for getting off topic - I had to vent - I agree 100% about the pricing being driven up though.

Aka_am
02-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Well it's only becuase people think there so rare becuase they where banned, I mean I could sell a R tank with shrouds for good condition on ebay, or mark it up twice the amount and label it corretly and it might sell. sooner then later people are going to follow suit to make more money

BigGreenMachine
02-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Deep. Well spoken.

Been looking at the gun laws of Canada (my country) and it's BS to say the least.

I cannot carry a registered FN FAL semi auto to the firing range without having first gotten permission, letting them know when I will be carrying it and so on.

You can no longer buy a full auto for goodness sakes.

In all honesty I could squeeze off as many rounds with the ol mans .22 rifle as I could with the FAL...what difference does it make? People still die regardless of caliber/type..

Dirtcrasher
02-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Money goes to money....

I'm certainly glad we have collectors that show us their stuff and share it with us, BUT, they are buying up anything with a click of the mouse.

When we buy parts we think about the price, assess our finances and ponder whether we really need it or not.

Here's a fender for ya http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-87-HONDA-ATC-200X-NOS-REAR-FENDER-NEW-ATC200X-OEM_W0QQitemZ290207806875QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 90207806875

The better people just think "oh boy, been looking for that!!" Yes I am jealous, yes I am angry and yes I am realizing that someday (maybe soon) I won't be able to buy anything decent.

Use to be Honda was safe, and just the YOU KNOW WHO *EDIT* was buying and winning everything. But now it's all makes, all models and all the time.

And whether anyone cares to admit it, WE ARE IN A RECESSION!!!!!!!! You would think that would help us out but it does not.

I could ramble on all night, and talk about the materialistic women out there too. Gotta drive a Mercedes SUV or a Lexus or whatever and they all turn there perfect little nose up at the working class. You know, the guys that build there malls like you and me....... MY shot at landing a half decent remotely cute OK chick seem to be fading daily.

You can thank Hollister, Abercrombie, TV shows with Kardisians, the OC, the Hills and all these other people that establish our "status" for that.

Our world has gone to chit, people aren't friendly, people think they are better than you and people think that ther chit doesn't stink. I'm really getting thinner skinned every day, I'd like to move to MAINE on 100 acres, become a hermit and ride my crappy ATC's with the crappy parts I can buy until I die.........................

EDIT - So where is this all going? What was it like 50 years ago - ask mom and dad..... What is it gonna be like in another 50 years?? Only worse my friends. We have been given the technology to be more efficient than ever before, yet we are busier than ever and the lack of respect continues to go down. My personal mantra is " the degradation of society continues".

Sorry for the rant!!

tecat-z
02-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I have to admit D.C., i agree with you. But the whole society thing is what's really scarry! The government loves it. More programs for everything. Think i'll stop NOW.

Fuzzy8766
02-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Well I was here 50 yrs ago and I can tell you that things were much simpler then than now. As a kid we rode our dirt bikes where and when we wanted. If the cops saw us they would wave and smile as long as we were behaving. At the time there were many 2 track trails and all were open to anyone for any purpose. Back then there was nothing but miles and miles of trails and no one cared if you went on thier land. Nothing posted and life was good. Today in lower Michigan we are stuck with marked trails that are full of bumps and ruts. In the UP life still seems to be like 50 yrs ago with lots of room and the cops still just wave and smile. I love it up there and go as much as I can. I'm sure that will change with the times as well but I hope I'm dead by then.

Havoxx
02-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, my parents paid $.65 for a gallon of gas, it's up to, what, $3.20? At least here, *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*, I just paid $99.60 for a gasket kit, some piston rings, and a clymer book, However, nothing of that is made in china, so the price wasn't too bad for me ;).

I think the bigger problem is that things get more expensive, while losing quality, now-a-days unless you buy a german car or american TRUCK(anything else is unreliable) it won't last you *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* worth of time.
Sad fact is, america is great, but it's lost it's pride for it's products, when I was a kid, my toys would take abuse and abuse and keep going, now they break with the slightest touch(not mine my nieces). But it's sad ya know. We joke about it, me and my dad, everytime we buy something, we look and ask where it's made, and laugh when we see it's made in china.
I'm sure that sounds a bit racist, but it's true, the fact is, most things made in china suck, you can't buy anything durable unless it's made in the USA or in Japan, anything else is essentially crap, hell, my dad has $20,000 invested in tools, all made in the USA, we take them through hell and back, heat them up, beat on them, abuse them with impact wrenches, and they keep on going, bought a little chinese ratchet the other day, damn thing didn't last a day, a few hard bolts and it already broke it's internals, trashed that and busted out the MAC tools :P.

Fuzzy8766
02-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Well Havoxx when I started driving gas was 30.9 cents a gallon, smokes were 30 cents a pack, beer was..... well I can't remember cause I was drunk alot then, my 1st new car was a 73 Plymouth Cuda when I was 18 and it cost $3225 out the door. The payment on that car was under$100 a month. Now mind you the mininum wage was a wopping $1.30 an hour and around here a really good job was $3 an hour.
Yeah I'm older then dirt but I'd go back to those times in a heartbeat. Lose women, fast cars and no Aids.

69HemiGTX
02-22-2008, 11:49 PM
I can relate to the new trend for parts prices as I've been around the Mopar game for years. Everyone thinks it's great when the values start to go up because it makes what they own worth more money. What's the point of that? It's only worth more money if you're willing to sell it and someone is willing to buy it for your asking price. Most people won't sell their trikes regardless of value, so the cost of parts actually hurts them, even if they don't know it. Sure, it's cool to have a pristine trike and brag that "it's worth $XXXX," but what happens when you bump it around a little and you have to come up with replacement parts? Now you're wishing they were dirt-cheap again. Trust me, nothing good ever comes to the common man when big-money morons invade their hobby, drive the prices up, buy and sell everyone with average incomes out of the game, horde everything they can so they can point and say "look what I've got and you don't," and then leave when the values finally crash because they are losing money on their investments. It's happened to many markets before, like shoebox Chevies in the mid eighties, it's happening again now, and it will happen somewhere else again in the future.

scrawny
02-23-2008, 01:19 AM
i think the main thing to address is the value of our money. the govt is raping us blind by printing millions of paper dollars and crap copper and nickel coins. just think if i had a really super rare baseball card that was worth $10,000. imagine someone who could counterfeit it perfectly with age marks and everything so's a collector couldnt tell the difference. they then flood the market with 100's of cards...whats going to happen to their true value?

same thing is going on with the dollar. you cant lower intrest rates without printing more money, otherwise where would it come from?? the gold standard is the only TRUE way of putting value to anything. it hasnt cost any more gold to buy a barrel of oil for a while, yet it keeps going up in dollars. the oil isnt gaining value, the dollar is loosing its....

so i guess i am proud as a honda fan that the cost for good parts is going up, it says alot about the TRUE value of these peices. :D

all great empires, to think we dont have one is assinine, currency failure has ment empire failure...i cant imagine its going to go down any different here....

scrawny
02-23-2008, 01:26 AM
PS: grab your asses with both hands when the chit hits the fan...only the strong will survive!!

here is a 10 year (not that long huh??) graph...we are up like what...300%!! makes me sick!!
http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/au3650nyb.gif

Dammit!
02-23-2008, 11:45 AM
The majority of the parts you're talking about are NOS cosmetic items that have no business on a rider anyway. Would you really put those 200x fenders on a trike and ride it even if you got them for half that much? There are cheaper alternatives to most of the high dollar stuff.

I think the bigger problem is that things get more expensive, while losing quality, now-a-days unless you buy a german car or american TRUCK(anything else is unreliable) it won't last you *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* worth of time.

Hate to burst your bubble but a lot of german cars and american trucks are built in Mexico now. Go to any new domestic car lot and look at where the cars and trucks are built. There's still some domestic plants but more and more you'll see Mexico and Canada. I bought my RAM brand new in 2007 and it was built in Missouri (I think... somewhere around there). Now every single RAM on our lot was built in Mexico.

Dirtcrasher
02-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Yes, allot of it is cosmetic....

But now it's nice axles, shocks and the prices there asking for nice motor parts is insanity. There was both a very nice 86 200X and 86 350X recently that the prices were completely out of this world and untouchable by me.

firehart
02-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I got into this conversation with my insurance man yesterday. He was telling me how dangerous 3 wheelers and ATV's in general were. I asked him if he would give a 12 year old his new Mustang GT? I pointed out to him that its like guns and everything else adults have, Don't give them your kids without proper guidance and instruction along with follow through. And yes, people are still going to get hurt.

Jim mac
02-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Its funny, I tried selling a pretty decent 87 200X here and on craigslist. heck the original plastic isnt cracked, seats not ripped. I think I posted it for 1200 or get 2 of them (other has a crack in the rear fender and a tear in the seat) they both even come with keys and I would have traded them for a pair of alloy heads for my chevelle. And I didnt get any interest in them. I think its just a matter of what some folks are willing to pay for things.
Some guy bought a new old stock wingnut for a chevy for 65 bucks or so. so theres a idiot born every minute. Jim

EvilMooseofDoom
02-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Money goes to money....

I'm certainly glad we have collectors that show us their stuff and share it with us, BUT, they are buying up anything with a click of the mouse.

When we buy parts we think about the price, assess our finances and ponder whether we really need it or not.

Here's a fender for ya http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-87-HONDA-ATC-200X-NOS-REAR-FENDER-NEW-ATC200X-OEM_W0QQitemZ290207806875QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 90207806875

The better people just think "oh boy, been looking for that!!" Yes I am jealous, yes I am angry and yes I am realizing that someday (maybe soon) I won't be able to buy anything decent.

Use to be Honda was safe, and just the YOU KNOW WHO *EDIT* was buying and winning everything. But now it's all makes, all models and all the time.

And whether anyone cares to admit it, WE ARE IN A RECESSION!!!!!!!! You would think that would help us out but it does not.

I could ramble on all night, and talk about the materialistic women out there too. Gotta drive a Mercedes SUV or a Lexus or whatever and they all turn there perfect little nose up at the working class. You know, the guys that build there malls like you and me....... MY shot at landing a half decent remotely cute OK chick seem to be fading daily.

You can thank Hollister, Abercrombie, TV shows with Kardisians, the OC, the Hills and all these other people that establish our "status" for that.

Our world has gone to chit, people aren't friendly, people think they are better than you and people think that ther chit doesn't stink. I'm really getting thinner skinned every day, I'd like to move to MAINE on 100 acres, become a hermit and ride my crappy ATC's with the crappy parts I can buy until I die.........................

EDIT - So where is this all going? What was it like 50 years ago - ask mom and dad..... What is it gonna be like in another 50 years?? Only worse my friends. We have been given the technology to be more efficient than ever before, yet we are busier than ever and the lack of respect continues to go down. My personal mantra is " the degradation of society continues".

Sorry for the rant!!

It's a piece of plastic.

Something that will have the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* scratched out of it, on it's very first time being ridden, unless the guys buying it are wanting to own museum pieces, or ride exclusively on a concrete driveway, so there is no reason to play this game, or eve nget the slightest bit upset about it. If these idiots want to pay that much for a fender, then let them pay that much for a fender. An idiot and their money are soon parted.

The fact of the matter is that yes, prices have gone up, and there's not much you can do about it, other than continue looking, or simply go into later dirt bikes or quads, where used part and aftermarket support is much greater. I love trikes also, but I am noticing supply is definitely drying up here, driving prices up to stupid levels...and if they want to sell their parts and bikes for that much, then fine, I can go do something else.