PDA

View Full Version : Blue Marble Oil, I am a beleiver!!!!

lisnup65
06-03-2003, 08:23 AM
After reading some responses on here and other forums, I decided to give Blue Marble a try. As with everyone that looks into a better product I was skeptical about the benefits and overal end result. I decided that I would run this in two of my machines to see the reults first hand. The machines were a 2003 Yamaha Blaster and a 1985 Honda ATC 250R. The results as of today are like this.
History of 2003 Blaster;
Machine was purchased new. The first 3 tanks of fuel the machine was ran with the Yama-lube in the injector, but I also added 80:1 pre-mix based with Amsoil for the 3 tank break-in period. The machine was broke in more/less following the owners manual guidelines. The machine was ran no more than 1/4 to 1/2 throttle(I set the govern screw so it could not go past 1/2), and during these 3 tanks I would get the machine hot and then shut it down for a cool down period. It was a tough few weeks, but in the end I think it will be worth it.
Now the Blue Marble finally showed up and I wanted to get it in the machine asap. I checked the fuel and it had about a 1/2 tank left in it. I added the STP fuel system cleaner that BM recommends if synthetic oil was ran in the machine. I ran the machine till it was out of fuel so I could start with complete fresh fuel. I then siphoned the remaining 1/3-1/2 tank of Yama-lube from the machine leaving just enough to not get air in the line for the oil-injection system. I learned the hard way about filling the resevoir tank on a blaster as I dumped about 1 pint or so of the BM all over. After the rediculous 25 minute task of filling the oil tank and fuel tank I was off to continue opening the throttle up and letting this new miracle oil do its things. By the end of the first tank I had moved the govern from 1/2 throttle limit to no limit. The machine smoked like a 4 stroke with no oil ring. The hotter I ran it the worse that it was. Wide open straight runs would semi-help, but the smoke was getting rediculous. I would take a few long straight away runs and the area looked as if fog moved in. I was now on the 3rd tank of fuel with BM in the machine and I noticed that the throttle was becoming snappier, the machine felt like vibration was reduced especially at high RPM's, but the damn smoke was no better. I decided that iwould give this so called next to no smoke oil that was worse than double oiling 2 more tanks of fuel before contacting BM and calling the claims a bluff. Well I added the next of the 2 tanks and the smoke started to slowly disappear. I not only could feel the difference, but I was now starting to see the difference as well. The next tank of fuel required that I fill the almost 1/2 full oil resevoir as the dummy light was flashing. The next afternoon I fire the machine up and she was smoking really well, but now at the level that is normal for a 2 stroke. I let the machine warm up and I noticed that the amount of smoke was reducing as she warmed. I headed out and the smoke was about 1/2 of a standard 2 stroke. I got the motor and pipe nice and hot to burn away the residue. After my hot runs is when I was convinced. The machine showed no signs of smoke at all while riding. When coming to a rest and idleing you have to actually look to see the small amounts of white smoke exiting the tail pipe. When reving slightly at rest it is more noticable, but as soon as you head out the excess build up disappears as soon as the engine reheats.
The bottom line is it took me 4/5 tanks to fully feel and see a difference and this was on basically a brand new machine. The results I am sure would have been quicker if I did not use the injector system and add pre-mix fuel for initial break in. The end result is almost amazing and I can say that the $8.00 a quart for this oil so far is worth it. The fact that the machine revs quicker, vibrates less, and next to no smoke on a 2 stroke makes the additional $3.00 a quart over the previous choice of Amsoil an easy one.

I will come back to the 85 250R if anyone is interested as those results are even more impressive. I did not expect to write a small novel so I am sorry for the length. I was trying to be as factual as I can and share the results with those that may be skeptical as I was.

TimSr
06-03-2003, 09:25 AM
I would be much more interested in what you see on the R. Im afraid, as an experiment, your Blaster results arent really measureable. Injectors are setup for a pretty rich oil misture to begin with, then mixing more oil with your gas, combined with a long term riding at half throttle was easily the cause of your "smoking" problems. You loaded up your pipe with oil sludge, and when you finally started "getting on it", and run a reasonable mix, all that crap starts to burn off, hence your smoke. After its burned off, the smoke begins to clear up. Problem in making a conclusion is that its running great now, but you have no reference to compare it to. This is what I would have suggested, ( a little late for you), but for anybody else considering running it on a new machine. First, use the YamaLube and only Yamalube during break in. Since you are not opening it up much to keep it cleaned out during break in, not only is adding more oil not beneficial, but quite the opposite. Also, some synthetic oils are not compatible with other oils, and should never be mixed. After break in is completed, and you are running normally, you really need to get several hours on it to clean everything out, and "normalize" deposits and emissions. THEN, you can switch oils and again, run for several hours until things normalize, and you can compare results to see if you have derived any noticeable benefits.
Ive heard great things about this stuff, and would be willing to try it as well, but Id like to try it where the ONLY variable in the experiement is the oil. By teh way, where is this stuff available? Ive hear all about it, but never seen it.

kimmer250r
06-03-2003, 09:57 AM
You will have more smoke for awhile or until the engine has burned all of the old oil carbon deposits off of the piston and other parts in the motor. Once all the deposits are burned off it will no longer smoke except for startup. I've run blue marble on both my sleds and is hands down the greatest 2 stroke oil ever. I gained 300 rpms topend with this stuff after running it for about 3 hours in my sled. You should get the same results on your R as your quad as long as the top end is still tight. If it has bad rings, then it is going to smoke no matter what. Stick with the blue marble lisnup, it IS the future of 2 strokes. When the 2 strokes have to pass emissions, this oil will be the only one right now that makes it possible. Truely awsome stuff!

86waterpumper
06-03-2003, 10:07 AM
I bet it doesn't smell as good as klotz LOL

lisnup65
06-03-2003, 10:22 AM
I agree about the Blaster not being the best test subject as I did load the pipe up with the over oiled break in. I will go over the 250R breifly now to clear up the doubt as I beleive that the excessive smoke is far more than build up in the pipe, its the BM doing its job.

250R history;
I purchased this machine last year from a a friend that got it as part of a trade for a car. The guy he got it from claimed to be the 2nd owner(ya right). The guy said its been sitting for a few years and will not start. The machine sat for a few weeks at my friends house when I seen it and asked if he wanted to sell it. A few days later he called and said if you want it, its yours.
After getting this machine home I found it to be a basket case from hell. It had a mix of parts from different years, brakes did not work, the swingarm bearings were so far gone that the axle had 1/2" of play. Anyhow, after going through the machine it was time to play. The compression was good at 179, the crank bearing was free of play, and gas was flowing into the carb. After changing the air filter, spark plug and cleaning the carb the machine fired on the second kick. The pre-mix that came with the machine was made with Spectra oil as the old owner brought 4 bottles in a case box. Besides that I donot know the history of what was ran and when the top end was gone through.
I drained all the fuel and started with my 50:1 mix of Amsoil. I ran like 8/9 tanks of amsoil before the blue marble showed up. The last tank of pre-mix before the BM I added the STP complete system cleaner. I mixed up a 5 gallon container at 50:1 for the R. The tank was filled and I was off. I headed out for a few hour ride and everything was the same as before I added this oil. I continued through 3/4 tanks before problems started to happen. The machine began to start smoking something fierce. I was James Bond with the smoke screen button held at full throttle all the time. Noone would ride with me unless I stayed at the rear because they could not see. This thing was BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Mean seriously bad!!!!!!!!!!!! Think of a movie were they mock a car burning oil bad, that was me. The next problem I had was with spark plugs. The machine would start bucking, and giving other misc hesitation problems. This would all lead to the machine eventually dieing. Kick, kick, kick and nothing. I would pull the plug and find why it would not run. The plug was black as black can be and covered in this thick black sediment. You physicaly could not see the electrode through the sediment as thats how packed it was. I am assuming that the sediment is the Carbon build up breaking away as the BM breaks the carbon down, plus a few tanks ago I added the STP system cleaner that also attacks the Carbon build up. Well the same scenerio happened to me 5/6 times over the next few tanks of gas. During this time also the smoke that I was ommiting started to slowly disappear while the throttle response started to improve dramatically. It would take a lot less throttle for the front end to lift and the overal power of the machine started to improve in sort of a doubling effect. The machine was like a new machine and all that have ridden it were amazed at the change in power. Well a few more tanks of fuel and the plug is a beautiful brownish tan. The smoke is all but gone, its hardly noticable at all. The vibration on the R does not seem much improved, but it may get better in time. I cannot comment on fuel economy as I really never paid attention to the hours I could get off a tank. I just filled when needed and every time before riding. I do know that I am on my 4th 5 gallon mix and the machine only seems to get better with every fill up.
I was happy with the power that the R had before. After the system cleanout by BM the power is unbeleivably different. The machine easily pulls the front end off the ground in 5th gear where as before I had to assist with a hard pull in 4th. The engine is .020 over, K&N, with stock exhaust. The smoke trail now is almost non-existant. Besides the sound of the motor, it could pass as a 4 stroke thats how little the smoke is now.
I still cannot fully beleive the results, but the power, snappiness, and the shiny metal look inside the plug hole telss me tha BM did what it claimed it would. It took a bit longer than I expected, but I started with a mess. I still have a few of the plugs and I will take a pic of how bad they were covered in carbon slop. $8.00 a quart is cheaper or the same as almost every so called higher end oil at RockyMountainatv. Inever used the cheapy cheap stuff, and I never thought I needed the expensive stuff. I went with a mid-priced synthetic that I was etremely happy with. I am just happier with Blue marble and I can honestly say that this is the first time I ever felt a difference by changing the oil. I will see what it looks like internally later this year.

I purchased directly from the web-site as they were the same price as the nearest local distributor. Shipped to my door it came to around $32.00 per gallon. You need to order 4 gallons min at the present time. Home Depot will be carrying the product shortly as a contract has been signed.

lisnup65
06-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Next to no smell at all, so I guess it does not smell as good as Klotz.

lisnup65
06-03-2003, 10:40 AM
You will have more smoke for awhile or until the engine has burned all of the old oil carbon deposits off of the piston and other parts in the motor. Once all the deposits are burned off it will no longer smoke except for startup. I've run blue marble on both my sleds and is hands down the greatest 2 stroke oil ever. I gained 300 rpms topend with this stuff after running it for about 3 hours in my sled. You should get the same results on your R as your quad as long as the top end is still tight. If it has bad rings, then it is going to smoke no matter what. Stick with the blue marble lisnup, it IS the future of 2 strokes. When the 2 strokes have to pass emissions, this oil will be the only one right now that makes it possible. Truely awsome stuff!

I agree it is really awesome stuff and the wave of the future. I now use this in every 2 stroke piece of equipment I have except the childs Polaris 90. I need something to burn up the 4 gallons of Amsoil I have.

Jeb
06-03-2003, 01:51 PM
I'd sure like to try it. Anybody else have info? I'm going to go through and redo the top end on my 86 Tecate soon and if that's good I'll start fresh with it.

Rennat_2006
03-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Bringing a old post back from the grave....

Jeb,
I ran it in my ktm 540.
I had the same results as above but actaully ran a tank of Bel Ray MC1 thru the bike in between 2 tanks of Blue Marble. It definetely made a difference in vibration of the motor and over rev. I ran the tank of belray thru the bike and then went into the other gas can that was BM, I was racing a friend on a Cr250 at the dunes the whole day off and on and with the belray the pull of the engine would kind of start to fall off in the higher rpms and that is when i would shift, It did not do this with the BM! I held 3rd gear wide open until i got scared something was going to let go inside of the engine due to the rpms it was now pulling!

The one place that sold it here no longer has it on the shelf, I like it enough that i may just go ahead and buy a gallon at a time off of the internet!

The Goat
03-03-2008, 02:48 PM

mmm two stroke oil that smells like bananas...:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

cr480r
03-03-2008, 06:19 PM

Not a chance... blendzall is close imo though... I run Klotz benol in all my bikes besides the powervalved Kawi.. it gets klotz supertechniplate... mixed 32:1 with 110

300rman
05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Not a chance... blendzall is close imo though... I run Klotz benol in all my bikes besides the powervalved Kawi.. it gets klotz supertechniplate... mixed 32:1 with 110

i run Super Techniplate in everything i own @ 32:1. I will never run anything else. after running it through a few different motors and seeing the differences inside, its amazing.

my cousin's KX80 had MAYBE half the hours on it that mine had, and his piston is chewed up, im talking its missing 1/16 or more material on the front and back of the piston on the skirts. it is total trash. and he runs Honda's HP2 oil.....my klotz KX80-still tight as a nugget with easily twice the time on it

hondahaulic
05-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Well I guess i'll play the devil's advocate a little. I have had my 2002 yz85 since it was near new and for a few summers it was my nearly-daily transportation around the rural area. (very often pinned in 6th for a few minutes at a time) It has seen everything from old 2 stroke outboard motor oil to chainsaw oil to the cheapest snowmobile oil you can get. Oh, and this is all with 87 octane fuel. It gets mixed anywhere between 30:1 to 50:1 (pretty much however much I feel like dumping in). Stock everything on the bike. I am embarrassed to admit it, but it has the origional air filter that has been cleaned twice to my knoledge.

well its 7 years old now. Origional top end never taken apart. tight as a whisle, always starts within 3 kicks. Its odd to take more than 2 kicks cold or more than 1 kick hot. I have never noticed excesive smoke. If I had to guess, I would bet that there is no noticeable power difference, vibration, or throttle responce than from when it was new.

My family has also kept about 4 modern 2 stroke snowmobiles around for the last 15 years, trading for newer ones off and on. They have always gotten the cheapest oil on the shelf. I can only recal 2 motors that required top ends, and that was from plugged pilot jets because of dirty carbs. All of our current sleds have between 4000-6000 hard miles.

I have never tried an expensive oil much, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. All of my 2 strokes are stock if that has anything to do with my luck. The better oils may increase power, but it doesnt "feel" like I loose anything with my cheap stuff.