PDA

View Full Version : Another Ice Race/riding Event In Central N.Y. ONEIDA LAKE?

Meat-BoX
02-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Well I finally got the Tecate totally done last night and took it out on Oneida Lake today. Runs and handles so much better. Its like a whole other machine than when it was at trikefest. The lake is very solid and was very busy today. Sled drags yesterday and today. Im sure there will be some ice racing events in the future. The resturant, Borios, on the south shore was full of Trucks and trailers. I didnt have my camera but wish I did. There was a ton of sleds, one with a huge bottle of NOS riding *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*:crazy: a few quads two Weird Planes that landed for lunch and myself and a sweet all original 85 250R. It was cool to have another trike to ride with. We rode around that area of the lake and also hit the islands. The islands have a nice Trail system on them like a XC course. Chilled at the old Lighthouse on the island for a bit.
Oneida Lake is about 10 minutes north of the N.Y.S. Thruway off of Rt.81. Its 30 miles long and a few miles wide with resturants and gas all around. Motels and hotels very close by. Rides can be kept at my house if you want safe parking for overnight. The trails were clear today as there is hardly any snow on them at the moment. Theres trails all around the lake if thats what people are into. If anyone is interested in having a good weekend on a huge lake, let me know. I will be out there probably every weekend untill mid to late march when the ice starts to melt. You guys got a good taste of the ice racing action at Raffas. Maybe we could get another event going within the next few weeks here in C.N.Y.. Racing, riding, stop at a resturant for food and a drink, all that fun winter time stuff.:beer Im sure we could draw a pretty big crowd and have a good time. We could even get a huge oval going for some high speed Ice racing if thats cool. :w00t:

evand
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
well im in when the new motor get here! wont be this weekend but next, she will be going. i could probably head up on friday night ride sat. day then leave saterday night....:beer

Bryan Raffa
02-25-2008, 08:26 AM
it's possible gary.. waiting on john to hear about greenwood...if anything me and the olady will come up and go for a ride!

JohnR.
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Greenwood Lake is done. Nothing short of a miracle is gonna have it safe at all this winter. We tried to go out on the very end of it last Sunday and even though its only 3 feet deep there it was breaking up badly. One big chunk broke out and its a miracle no one went swimming. I got there, took a look at it and never bothered going out there. My buddy who lives right on that part of the lake invited a bunch of us over so we got some beer and had a good time hanging in the garage and BS'ing all day. I doubt I could pull off another trip like that right now, the fuel to get there and back is a killer and its too far to make a day trip out of.

John

Bryan Raffa
02-26-2008, 12:43 AM
that sucks john...there calling for a foot of snow here the ice is still pretty solid here ...I have been across the middle and to the north.. and the sleds are all over the ice now..

meatbox lets see what this storm brings .. if I get what they say you should get 2x that..

freaksfix
02-26-2008, 08:38 AM
im in.. just keep me posted..

Meat-BoX
02-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Looks like the Cars will be racing on the lake the weekend of March 8th. I got some 18" Fast Trekkers coming tomorrow and will cut down another DogBone this weekend. 1" this time I think as it throws all the rear suspension geometry off. Im gonna be pulling some hot laps this Sunday I think as it will be nice out and Im sure the snow will blow off in some areas. If not, enough laps around should make me a nice big oval. I have been looking up Oneida lake Ice Racing info on the net and there is usually something going on somewhere n that big ass lake:w00t:
It would be real cool to get an event going on this lake as its smack dab in the middle of New York and its a very big lake with lots going on.

Meat-BoX
03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
It snowed the last few days so the lake had a few inches of snow on it, but after about 50 laps I had me a decent oval to practice on. No plow here and only two quads that I saw, both without studs. Making an oval like that is hard work and im feeling it now that im home. There was alot of action on the lake today, and I even had some photographer that was out there jump all over me. Probably because there arent many Trikes out there and mine is so sexy.:naughty: Had alot of people come up and check out the Tecate and reminis about past and present trikes owned. From what I keep hearing, theres still quite a few trikes out there and all the older people my age seem to baby theirs and most have original trikes. I think its time to get an Oneida Lake Central N.Y. Winter Trikefest going on here for next year to go with Raffa's event. There are plenty of business that cater to that stuff in the winter.
Anyways I would like to get out there the weekend of March 8-9 and I hope some of you guys can come. I will be out every weekend as much as I can. If interested let me know.
Oh an interesting thing, I put the 18's on and watched my buddy go down the lake. The Tecate was winding out and sounded like it was going 60 mph. But when I looked I swear it was going 20 mph. Im done with that thing for now but she is in need of some proper gearing. I was so embarrassed at how slow she was. Alot faster on the oval. 3rd and 4th all day, even getting the front end up coming out of the corners. It was hooking up. I got pics of the trike studded but my brother made off with the cam before I even rode. No action shots:crazy:

ChrisD
03-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I hate cutting in tracks like that. That's why I bought my own plow. I would be there in a second if I could. I'm dying to get more seat time on my R. I'm out of town next weekend. It's probably better because I think I finally ruined 2nd gear on my bike at Raffa's place. It popped in and out of 2nd 4 times that weekend. It was about time for something like that to happen...I'm not too nice on my transmission....oh well. I have a new set of Yukon gears on order as we speak.

Hopefully next year will be colder and we can get a circuit going. We can swarm in on a bunch of lakes like locusts and rev everyone up. I think everyone knows what they need to do for next year to be competitive:naughty: . I also think that there are a new bunch of people that have the bug now.

Meat-BoX
03-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Yea I think next year wiil be the winter of the Trikes. We should try to dial in some good events and hit the circuit hard. Ive been saying I was going to set up for the ice for the last few years and now its happening. So cool. Man, I tell you going clockwise with a twist throttle is some tough business. Going the other way kept my leg nice a warm:eek:
I wonder who that photographer was. He had a serious camera and Was getting me pulling some laps. I should of talked to him to see whats up but didnt want to bother him.
I'm hoping a few people can come out within the next few weeks for a good day or two of riding. I only stayed in one small area as riding with the 18's was making my ride look like a sissy. Those cold cutter Studs are awesome. I only put in about 500 studs. I figured I can put em in if needed but cant take em out if I did to many. I think its a pretty good setup.
I think alot of guys up north just found out how much fun riding on the ice is and next year we could have a good group of people with some serious rides setup for the ice.:w00t: N.Y. Winter Trike Fest Ice Racing schedule needs to be made up. The thing is, that usually its safe by Feb-March. So its a crunch for events. Raffas is good and Oneida lake as its in the middle of N.Y. and pretty shallow so it freezes good, Greenwood would be nice if it would get cold enough down there. Lake George Winter fest would be cool also.
Anyway plz let me know if anyone is interested in getting in some riding within the next few weeks. Thx. Will need a plow. Freak, you got one on the big Red Right? I know your close.:beer at the other end of the lake.
Mike6 if your out there, you can ride my Tecate if you can get the time soon. I got your # Got to put the fenders on the 200X and check a few problem areas. No biggie. Lets Ride:welcome: :beer

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I smoked a rod again.. all ready tore down today and ready to go together..with the new sprock basket and clutch..hahah trying to keep up too them 330 is tough!! and I gotta get ready for TF,,,I still got the 86 clone bike too ripp..the snow on the ice is melting Fast! and going into the 50's...:cry: the list is on the box,,, this is Quite expensive vintage raceing hobbie we have :lol: :w00t:

chris200x
03-02-2008, 11:05 PM
I smoked a rod again.. all ready tore down today and ready to go together..with the new sprock basket and clutch..hahah trying to keep up too them 330 is tough!! and I gotta get ready for TF,,,I still got the 86 clone bike too ripp..the snow on the ice is melting Fast! and going into the 50's...:cry: the list is on the box,,, this is Quite expensive vintage raceing hobbie we have :lol: :w00t:

You have a heck of alot more patience than I do thats for sure. I was gonna say it's gonna be getting warm this week.. lake riding maybe over for the year.

how thick is the ice up there Gary? you still riding out on the lake mr raffa?

Bryan Raffa
03-02-2008, 11:11 PM
I went out today too see the neighbor ice fishing and it was about 6-7 inches of slush....The BW didn't like that mutch.. the sleds are still out rideing in the middle,, as the local trails are wooped too dirt..

Meat-BoX
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
There is about a foot of ice on the lake. And in some sections a foot of slush. I was told quads were getting stuck way out there but I stay in the bays and where I can see that its all good. Its supposed to get cold again by mid week and that will just make for nice clear ice with no snow to bog me down. Up here its usually good untill the end of march. We get the lake effect and the chilly wind here:D

Bryan Raffa
03-09-2008, 01:13 PM
gary they racing on the ice this weekend?

Meat-BoX
03-09-2008, 05:06 PM
We just got a little over a foot of snow and now its all sunny out. I was hoping for this weekend but rain all yesterday and lots of snow last night.
I was hoping for next weekend if the weather permits. Will need a plow to make a track. The ice should be good, hope it stays cold. I want to get in some laps before the ice melts.
Was warm last week, was figuring on nice smooth ice till the rain and snow. I will be out next weekend if its good for sure. :w00t:

Meat-BoX
03-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Was out on the lake last week for about an hour. The lake is a nice sheet of ice but last week it was a little soft and after about 30 laps I started to get wet. This weekend should be perfect. I will be on the South Shore of Oneida lake near Borios resturant. There should be some Ice racers out there this weekend. Its a big lake but im sure we can find some action. Anyone want to show up is welcome and it would be alot of fun. Its gonna be perfect conditions for Ice Racing.:w00t:

Bryan Raffa
03-22-2008, 09:56 AM
hey gary how about some better directions...address to map quest...that lake is huge.. today? tomorrow? today is out.. i got too mutch too do..maybe tomorrow..

Meat-BoX
03-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I just figured that no one was able to go. If you want to do tomorrow that would be so cool. Oneida lake is about 8 miles North of the N.Y.S. Thruway on RT.81 north. You would get off at the Cicero Rt. 31 Exit and go Right onto Rt. 31 and pull into the Gas station right there on the corner. i will meet you there. From there is a few miles up the road. 10 minutes. Im going out in a bit. Its been cold all week and its only 24 right now. It was a nice sheet last week. I bet this weekend will be mint. Todays weather is perfect. If its like this tomorrow it will be perfect.
Im trying to find out if anything is going on on the lake over the net. But all I keep finding is Snowmobile drags. Didnt know sleds could do wheelies:w00t:
Last week the Kite people were out flying around. I guess we could ride that huge ass lake and find some action. Freaksfix said he would like to meet up, maybe some people could make a day out of it. Mik6 needs a call:beer
Wish I had a video cam and a way to get it on the net. The more Trike videos, the better.

If anyone is interested P.M. me and I will throw you my cell number.

Bryan Raffa
03-23-2008, 07:41 AM
cant do it gary.. the olady has plans for me:cry:

chris200x
03-23-2008, 08:15 AM
cant do it gary.. the olady has plans for me:cry:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/fquads/Whip.gif :lol: :lol: :lol:

and I was looking forward to seeing some PICS!!!! :pics:

Bryan Raffa
03-23-2008, 08:48 AM
hahahah yepper..I guess...I got one hell of a breakfast!:naughty:

thefox
03-23-2008, 09:13 AM
hahahah yepper..I guess...I got one hell of a breakfast!:naughty:

Well I can't compete with that,,,,,, but I did snap some picts of the lake from my riding spot on Friday. I tried to hit the trails on the trike but my friends darn quad wouldn't start :crazy: .

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/thefoxman45/HPIM1825.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/thefoxman45/HPIM1827.jpg

tri-Z ripper
03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
looks like fun just went riding in the sandpit next to my house its all sand and mud no snow left here! but was in vermont from thursday to saturday was about 3 feet of snow left and 8 inches of fresh powder snowmobile trails were perfect and i left my trike home this weekend:twisted: oh well there is always next weekend!:beer

Meat-BoX
03-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Now I need new rear rims and a front tire so I can ride in the dirt.:beer Well at least im set up for the winters to come. Just need the proper sprokets.:lol:

RIDE-RED 250r
12-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Well, sorry to resurrect and oldie...But this is much too close to home to let lie :)

But I have felt the need to get my R out on the ice the last couple of years..even though I have perfectly good Ski-Doos to ride.

Meat-box: Really cool you have been trying to get some ice racing action going on Oneida Lake! I live just north of Sylvan Beach and ride sleds on the lake frequently. I am currently waiting for my cases and 350cyl kit from ESR, but if something ever comes up round here on big ol' Oneida and my R is ready to rock, I'd LOVE to hook up with some of you guys for some fun on the ice! Gonna have to slam n pick the R for this little adventure.. :naughty:

I was actually dreaming about going to Raffa's Ice Fest last night! :lol: I have never been there before, but I'm thinking about trying to make it this year. Sounds like an absolute blast!