PDA

View Full Version : 88 TRX 250R Questions

SCEADU
03-09-2008, 07:47 PM
This is the first 2 stroke I have owned. The thing absolutely screams when you get after it. I am haveing a little bit of an issue with the idle. It just will not stay idleing then it tends to load up and needs to be choked to start even when it is warm. I keep fouling plugs. If I understand right the knob for the choke is used for the idle. If I screw it out that should increase the idle. Screw it in then it should decrease the idle. What should the air screw be set at? Right now I have about 2/14 out. The guy I got it off of said I should use Clotz oil. This stuff smells bad and I can rememer some of my friends used this for their sleds and said the oil had a tendency to foul plugs if you were not running it hard. Any input would greatly be appreciated as I am about to put his thing up for sale to get a 4 stroke.

Mosh
03-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Some info on your mods would help the diagnostics.
Is it the stock PJ carb?What plug are you running,pipe?What does your air filter look like?What jetting are you running?

Your air screw sounds about right,A little lean if anything.Loading it up on the low end could be from weak reeds,Over oiled air filter,too rich of a pilot jet,and also could even be from a worn top end.
Shoot us a little info and see if we can help you.
Personally,I don not like the pj series carbs.My 86 trx has one and runs great,my 85 R has one and has been a fit to dial in.My other 85 R has a PWK 38 mil carb.Way easier to tune and better performance.
Provided all your basics checks are good,I would advise you to go with a PWK series carb.But throwing a new carb at the machine wont help if you have other issues,like bad reeds etc.3 plugs in 2 hours is rediculous.
Pull your carb off,and tell us what size pilot jet and main and where is the needle clip.That will give us a starting point.
Klotz is not fouling your plugs.It is decent oil

deathman53
03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I used klotz oil r-50 for years, no fouling plugs at all. I now use klotz tc-w oil, no fouling either. Same plug being used for almost 2 years. Like moshman said, reeds, top end, dirty/over oiled filther, and/or insanely rich jetting.

SCEADU
03-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I pulled the carb today and the main is a 150 Which the honda shop says is small. I moved the clip to the 3rd position which the maual says is stock. The filter is a mess and I plan on changeing that tomorrow. The Plug was wrong according to the Honda shop. It had a BR8ES and the shop said I need a BR9ES. When I first got it there was a new plug in it and it was a rocket so I don't think the top end is all that bad. The pipe is stock with and Answer silencer. How much should I prepare to spend on a rebuild? I don't want a racing machine just something that has good power and pretty dependable. What should I look to spend on reeds? Do you just buy reeds and install them or is there more to it. I do have my eye on a PWK 39mm carb on ebay. Will this be ok for my setup?

Mosh
03-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Ok clean that air filter first.
You should be runing a B8ES plug.No (R) or resistor plug.Those have to stay revved up to keep cleaned out.Do these things first and see how she runs.

Your pilot should not be larger than a 52 and the main should be about 150-162.I run a 162 in mine,but I have a pipe and V-force reeds.Check the pilot.If it is a 52,you could try a 48 pilot and that may help too.But for now,clean the air filter and lightly oil it.
You should also be running 93 octane or higher fuel.

The PWK 39 will be too large for a stock unported motor.Stay at the PWK 38.
Your stock carb should be fine for performance once you get the jetting correct.

A top end job will run around 200-250 depending on if you do the work yourself.

Reeds are pretty cut and dry.Boyeson power reeds are good and cheap replacements for the machine.About 40 bucks for a set.You can get some V-force reeds and cage assm,but that will run you around 150 for that set-up,but they give huge performance gains over stock reed cages.

SCEADU
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Well, I got it going today. I just don't understand why it isn't loading up now when I am running a 8 size bigger main jet and changed my mix from 50:1 to 32:1 but I am "NOT" going to complain. I am still not quite sure of the idle settings and airscrew but it seems to have good throttle response and powers from low to high quite nicely. I think the main problem was the airfilter. It looks like it had not been cleaned for quite some time. Will an airfilter make that much of a difference? I probably know that answer being that the machine is a monster now. I not sure how long the guy that had it before me ran it a 50:1 so I hope he has not screwed the motor up.

SCEADU
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
By the Mosh, What pipe would be best for down low trail riding ? I like to putt around and not really interested in the top side, just some grunt work.

Mosh
04-29-2008, 12:19 PM
The best low end pipe I have found,was a Paul Turner type 6 pipe.Very strong low and mid pull,and the top end just falls off completely.It will greatly diminsh top end pull,but it feels great for trails.

Also the LRD adjustable does well,but you really need some porting to work with those pipes.

I have a FMF fatty system with silencer for 50 bucks plus shipping,it will give you some gains,but not as much low end as the PT type 6.

Glad to hear it runs good.Amazing what a filter will do.LOL
What main jet are you running now?

SCEADU
04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Post some pics. I may be interested.

I put the stock 158 back in.

Mosh
04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I will have Mrs.Mosh post them up here in a few.I also have a gold series pipe too,but that is more top end.

Mrs.Mosh
04-29-2008, 12:47 PM
:pics: :pics:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/fatty600.jpg