PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug, uh oh?

Chillyboarder
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
http://i27.tinypic.com/34q6wjs.jpg

That is my new spark plug from my 400EX on the right, the old one of the left. I haven't been able to start it for over nearly 3 months. Old one looks just fine, worked great with it, changed it, ran for few days then wouldn't start. Started and died instantly, sputtering. From then on it won't start.

http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm

Please tell me that plug isn't oil fouled, if it is I'm no doubt screwed right? Carbon foul is a chance but looks alot darker :(

I get blue sparks from old plug, and gold sparks from new one.

I screwed both in and won't start with either. Does it have to be screwed in so far? I got a motion pro socket for it, and it's a tight fit, is hard to tell if it's in all the way and hard to take off the plug once it's screwed in. One time it sounded like something was cracking, wasn't sure if could crack the case where it screws in from overscrewing.

I'd use torque wrench, but I used torque wrench when changed oil and oil filter, and I didn't get as far as it said. If I had went to how much torque it said it would have no doubt broke the bolts.

Post anything you might think of the spark plug, thanks!

Hans

EDIT: It runs, post closed.

Ryan.
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
you want a blue, spark if its gold its getting a weak spark

Chillyboarder
03-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Ok thank you, I might be getting a new one thursday or so hopefully. Now mainly need to know if this plug was oil or carbon fouled =|

200xkwit
03-10-2008, 04:56 PM
the old one almost looks bridge gapped. new one looks like its carbon fouled. If your getting spark. do a compression test. if that checks out then clean/take off *Edited**Edited* air filter and then clean and inspect your carb. its hard to say from just the pick of the plug like that. You can rent the compression tester at autozone for free (they give you *Edited**Edited* money back) if your compression and carb/filter check out id take alook at the stator. Also check and smell your oil to see if there is a gas smell in the oil thats a clear sign somthing is wrong witht the rings/seals. Also check and see if oil is spittting out of the exhuast. let us know how it works out for yea

Chillyboarder
03-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Ok well I looked at the two plugs, old one is smaller gap, got the new one down a bit. I'm from Canada, I don't know of an autozone but I'll see if my Dad has one.

I'll see about the oil, doesn't spit out exhaust really since doesn't run :P

On the weekend I might be able to get a neighbor to look at it, he's excellent in all these small engines.

TravEX
03-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Just throw a new plug in there and go. I don't think the color of that old plug requires a complete rebuild, especially on a quad you just got and haven't got it running yet. If the valve seals are getting bad in it, it could be oil fouling, but so what, you can still ride it. Mine has been puffing smoke on start up every now and then for 2 years, it still runs fine, not hurting a thing.

Just get a new plug, and let her rip.