PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about picking up a '66 Mustang Coupe

Nick_R_23
03-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Ok guys, tell me how bad or awesome this deal sounds. This guy has a 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe that had started to be restored (to what extent I dont know), its black outside with black interior (supposedly all complete), it has "little or no rust", a 6 cylinder engine, 3 speed tranny, which both are supposed to work great. Only real downsides are: 1). The roof is caved in a little, but it appears that it will pop right back out... and 2). Some dipsh!t broke out the windows.

Im sure this will still need a lot of work, but its supposed to run and drive, basicly complete, and im told it has no rust. Hes asking 500$, plus 100$ to get the title. I havent looked it over real well, just glanced at it, but at 600$ does this sound like something I should pick up, or just leave sitting? He says it "definatly has 500$ worth of stuff on it."

Ill go look it over real well and see how bad it really is, maybe grab some pics. The only thing about this deal is that I will have to sell my 200s to pay for it.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Jim mac
03-13-2008, 12:01 AM
I dont think you can go wrong for 600 bucks for a mustang, you can rebuild the whole thing from catalogs. you may want to check the front engine cradle, those things are known to get tweaked. jim

Banage
03-13-2008, 01:33 PM
you can get everything but a title from a catalog. go for it!!!! P.S. drop a 5.0 in it

84honda200s
03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
for 600.00 almost any older car is worth it. too bad it isnt a road runner or gto ooo hell or a charger !! :drool: :drool:

Aka_am
03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Grab that up! I would..wait where are you located lol...Allright your safe!

Yeah, umm if you arn't going with a 5.0/302 go with either a 4.6 or 5.4. My dream stang is a 67 coupe, black with black leather, 5/6 speed, with a 5.4. and nice chrome 17's. tinted windows and yeah..I gotta go get the tissues.

the one's around here are like 2-4k in started restoring condition, which right now is too much for me since i have no DD yet.

smvorndran
03-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Old cars are money pits. Keep the 200s, less to fix.

smvorndran

Nick_R_23
03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Well I went and dug it outta the snowbank today, didnt get any pics of it though. The body is rough, there was very little rust from what I could see, mostly around the rear wheels. (I wasnt able to look under the car though) The drivers door is junked (someone hit it), and im assuming the front fenders and the other door probably need some work and/or replaced also. It would need a lot of body work but its not impossible, mostly just dents and dings. The interior is there but it would ALL need to be redone, my uncle does interior/upholstery so I could probably pay him to have that part done. I couldnt get the hood open so I didnt get to look at the motor. And like I said above its missing all the windows.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

Thorpe
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Nick-- On a 66 Coupe, look at the rear "frame rails" where the shackle mounts on the leaf spring... This is the most common spot the early mustangs rot out... You can get replacement rails, but if you have to do those, you are also looking at likely doing a trunk floor... The other problem on the 6 cyl. cars, is they were not built with the torque boxes up front like the V8 cars were, they can be installed, but are pretty labor intesive... Fenders and door can be bought new out of catalogs, at our shop we did a 66 convert not long ago and bought new doors from The Paddock for about 300 each, and were imressed with the fit... Anything else you want to know about a early mustang feel free to ask, I have seen more internals of these things than most would want too... Check out my shops website... there are pics of the convert we did, a 66 coupe to a fastback conversion (*Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* ton of work) and we also build subframe connectors for these cars, (THE best 120 bucks you could ever spend on a Mustang) Any questions feel free to drop me a line... -Darrin-