PDA

View Full Version : kx250 spitting coolant...?

dirtbike77
06-05-2003, 08:31 PM
ok lately i my kx250 have been smoking a lil bit.. been mixing the gas ok at 32:1... r-50.. it has a white smoke to it.... it smell like coolant..
so i replaced the head gasket along with piston and rings... to day when i went to crank it up its sytill smoking.. then when i looked down its coming out of the exhaust port? so i took the pipe of and it wasnt pouring out or anything but u can see the liquid in the cylinder?

help and thoughts?

NOS_350X
06-06-2003, 02:51 AM
could you water pump seal be out??

dirtbike77
06-06-2003, 07:18 AM
but this wouldnt get in to the cylinder? and besides the coolant is a pretty green color... no signs of contamination?

TimSr
06-06-2003, 08:45 AM
Aside from through the headgasket, a cracked jacket is about the only thing that will put coolant into the cylinder, but the gasket is a lot more likley. Since you have tried replacing the gasket, the next likey suspect is a warped head, or head with grooves worn into it. What I did (an idea I got from this board) was duct tape some very fine sandpaper on a piece of glass, and then put the head on it and begin sanding in a circular motion until teh head sands out flat, and youll be able to tell. Also when you reassemble, use a gasker sealer made for head gaskets, such as CopperCoat.

dirtbike77
06-10-2003, 08:59 PM
i wet sanded the head like the book said with rea; fine 600 grit sand paper.. did the whole nine yards? no sign of coolant leaking afterwards.. but shes still smoke( a thick white smoke).. when i ride it shell clear out but when i just sit there the bike will kinda bog when i blip the throttle the smoke comes screamin out?

could a bad center case gasket cause this problem?
any other suggestions? the plug was a wet black color?br8es

J.D.
06-11-2003, 01:01 AM
If it was wet black that is one of too things, putting too much oil in the gas, OR, your main jet on the carb is too big. You want your plug to be DRY, and golden brown/caramel brown/chocolate brown color. Have fun.

dirtbike77
06-14-2003, 09:52 PM
the bike still smokes a lil bit but not as nearly as bad like before... when i took the plug out it was a dry black color?

YTZ250#1
06-14-2003, 11:14 PM
pressure check the coolant system to see if you have a leak else where.
if that checks out you could have bad crank seals sucking the oil out of the tranny.

hondaATCrider
06-15-2003, 03:41 AM
hey man you can get alot of help if u just go out there with a roll of duct tape and start gettin er done

dirtbike77
06-16-2003, 07:17 AM
she's runs a lil rough on low end but on mid range to top end she's runin pretty decent? also the bike wont idle i have the idle screw all the way in and i tried playing with the air screw and still no diffrence..

how would i know if the head gasket is still leaking whats a good indication? and sometimes if im sittin there runin and when i go to take of( not alot but some white smoke comes out) she kinda sounds a lil funny but then eventually she clears out? she cranks up with no problem?

J.D.
06-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Sounds to me like you have the same problem I do, your main jet is too big. As I'm bringing my main jet down, I'm getting more low end power. Get it jetted right and see what happens from there.

dirtbike77
06-17-2003, 09:17 PM
if the carb was over flowing into the engine. would it cause it to blow the smoke out like that ( white?)

J.D.
06-17-2003, 11:38 PM
White smoke on a 2-stroke is normal. I have never seen a 2-stroke that doesn't blow white smoke when your riding, or when it's cold.

dirtbike77
06-19-2003, 09:46 PM
i cleaned the carb on the bike and the plug.. next i checked the jet needle clip position it was at the third slot from the top. i moved it up one.. the white smoke that did come out looked pretty normail i did the plug run on it and its a light tan color ...

im gonna take her out this weekened and and see ill be posting the somepics of it this weekened..

YALL THE BEST ON THIS WEBSITE :D