PDA

View Full Version : 3 wheel drive?

TrailerRider
03-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Been done before on ATC?
Here is a mock up (mspaint). It is possible I think. Hardest would be getting sprocket for wheel. Keep in mind the motor is not straight (mspaint) but with the chain/sprocket/motor lined up it could pull pretty good. Maybe a 6 hp briggs. I know our little kart with a 6hp briggs hauls with me (230lb) with a kid next to me. With the motor being mounted on the front rack you get extra weight and being as it is mounted on the front rack you would have normal steering still. Just have another drive wheel. Maybe for that hunter trying to pull that dear in to camp..

I go through some pretty good mud holes and once in awhile I get stuck with the front wheel on dry land and the back sitting spinning. Imagein getting stuck and reaching up and starting the little 6hp briggs (without standing in the mud) and throtteling the 3 together. Or the Snow for you cold weather wheelers :) :Bounce :w00t: If your motor crapped out and would not start you could run in 1 wheel drive (slowly) back to camp :) Then have a :beer and say man that was a close call. Heck if you lost spark on the atc you could fireup the briggs/tech and give the atc back spark to get ya home if you did not want to run the little motor by it self.

Needed:

1. Briggs/Tech 6 HP motor
2. Wheel drive sprocket
3. Centrifigual clutch
4. Chain
5. Front rack with solid mounting points for motor.
6. Remote throttle from Briggs/Tech motor for revving both same time..
7. Build update: Added front braces to stop shock from working temporarly.

If there is not to many na-sayers then I might give this a shot.

Yellow lines is Chain
Red is throttle cable/likage
"Black" is gas line (If your briggs/tech ain't got a tank you share off atc)
Purpule is support braces to keep shocks temporarly locked from absorbing shock.

Mr.Jake
03-20-2008, 06:09 PM
i doubt there would be enought weight for the front wheel to get any traction. And if the front forks had suspension everytime you hit a bump the front chain or belt would fall off.

TrailerRider
03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Hmm, intresting. I did not consider the shock as they were pretty well mud covered. lol. Ok So add 2 small braces that connect from rack to wheel. That will resolve the poping chain. Don't think a 30lb motor sitting directly on front froks will apply enough pressure to atleast help the process along? Maybe you could lean forward and give more weight. Plus "if" you have gas in the little motor gas tank thats atleast a few more pounds.

3Wheelers4Life
03-20-2008, 08:48 PM
that would be cool if someone could make this happen. i bet it would do awesome in the mud! but yea the shocks would be a problem. you could swap out the front for one that doesn't have shocks.

pickleweasel_00
03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I've seen three wheel drive bunker rakes before for golf courses. We don't have any at the course I work at but they are made by Toro and called Sand Pros and they are hydraulic drive. Not sure if there is one motor or two for the rear but there is a motor for the front wheel as seen here:

http://www.eastmountaincc.com/Rake1.jpg

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/toro5040.jpg

Not me in the pics btw, just some google pictures. We have these at our course, but not 3WD

http://www.rjwmachinery.com/IMG_5527.JPG

With this idea you'll need a hydraulic pump and reservoir, and know how to build the rest of the hydraulic sytem to work properly

NESC104
03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
KTM has a prototype 2 wheel drive dirtbike, you could do something like this:

http://www.dirtrider.com/news/141_0406_two_wheel_drive_dirtbike/index.html

hotroddal
03-23-2008, 09:19 PM
well guys I have the most logical answer to all of your questions and or ideas, I had the master plan for this but lost interest in the idea, I have a rokon 2 wheel drive off-road motercycle, it spins with the front wheel and the rear wheel, I put a honda 90 3-wheeler engine in the frame with high and low range and is now a 4 speed, Now this was my plan- take off the rear wheel and transplant a kawasaki differential type rear axle in its place, boom boom done, now you have a reliable, not cobbled up 3wheeldrive machine with a differential, now if anyone may be interesed I want to sell my rokon 2 wheel drive bike, it runs and drives with a honda 90 engine, goes just great shaifts through all the gear s and goes into high and low just fine.

cr480r
03-23-2008, 09:48 PM
I think the 6 horse is way overkill... the added weight will be very detrimental to handling, and the front wheel drive would really only benifit at very slow speeds or in mud... I would use a much smaller engine... a small 2-cycle engine geared super low would be my choice... or even electric drive system with a directional clutch... because for 99% of situations the added weight is just going to be a burden

300rman
03-23-2008, 11:38 PM
2 wheel drive bikes have been around awhile. check out the Christini 2wd bike system.

icp4life162005
03-24-2008, 04:24 AM
you could just weld the forktubes, they don't do to much anyways.

01ps
10-20-2008, 09:25 PM
If you were interested in only low speed traction, like for mud or an assist for climbing, would an electric winch motor work, if geared properly? And the front wheel hub is so deep I wonder if the motor could be mounted inside the bell of the wheel?

3wd would be cool though, especially those times you need just a little more traction...

NewfieBish
10-20-2008, 10:25 PM
hey man.. what if you ditched the whole second motor idea, and welded another sprocket onto the one already on the motor. then run a couple of chains, so you could have it comin from the original motor. you could even solve the problem of the chain popping off the front that way. run the chain from the original location of the sprocket, then down to a solid sprocket welded onto the frame, then weld another sprocket onto that, and run that one to the front, so when the forks compress, just like the rear suspension it will simply pivot.. want me to draw a paint? haha

300rman
10-20-2008, 10:31 PM
want me to draw a paint?
YES. i failing to understand how this will work when you turn the wheel lol

NewfieBish
10-20-2008, 10:33 PM
YES. i failing to understand how this will work when you turn the wheel lol

you know what, i didnt even think about that... ANYWAYS lets forget andrew just said that idea there hey boys! the only way this is gonna work is if you wanna use the 2 back tires and thats all. unless you wanna do some crazy universal joint or some shiznit

MyMistress86R
10-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't see how any multiple motor solution could work here because you could never get the gearing to be exactly the same and it would be more than difficult to get them both to rev at the same rate. The only way it would be useful is if you only ever rode in crap that didn't get the same amount of traction all around, i.e. snow, ice, wet mud etc.

POS 250sx
10-21-2008, 03:49 PM
I think the only way you could do it right is if u were Honda, and with U joints or somthing. Something cobbled might work, but it will make *Edited**Edited* trike useless besides that. Besides, how much stuff can a BR or SX NOT cross?

atc vending guy
10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
the only way to do this with one motor is to weld a extention on to your motor drive sprocket,add a second sprocket,then weld a shaft higher on the frame near the tank,including one more drive sprocket and a pulley for a belt,weld an oversized tractor pulley to your front tire and add your new belt.as long as the pulleys are deep enough they will not fall off.this would be better suited for the 110 or 125 as they dont have the suspension problem.i personally would just run my big red 250 or sx stock but this gives you crazys somethin to try:welcome:

DeePa
10-21-2008, 08:25 PM
how about something hydraulic?

the toro sandpro is an infield groomer trike with front hydraulic drive

fabiodriven
10-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I think the only way to do it would be with a "Rokon" setup.

300rman
10-22-2008, 12:05 AM
you know what, i didnt even think about that...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/RiverIsMyGoddess/icons/smiley_pathead.gif

Autophysn
10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
I understand you love your trike, and I know others will give me major flak for saying this, but sometimes you just need to go with what is known to work.

You may just want to find a four wheeled rancher contraption of some sort, be it a quad, tractor, truck, or?

Something 4x4

Three wheels are lots of fun, but you start adding all that weight up front, your just asking for problems.

Atc GuY
10-22-2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csheFaxdSgI

250rfan
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Mmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:wondering

fabiodriven
10-22-2008, 09:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csheFaxdSgI

That is the saddest thing I have ever seen-

TrailerRider
10-23-2008, 01:58 PM
That is the saddest thing I have ever seen-

I think it's pretty neat. Not much for top speed but I bet it would handle nicely in the right enviroment.

I still have a 6hp tech I plan to mount to the front. I had not considered a electric motor mainly becuase I don't have one :) As with most 4 wheeled vehicles it is not good to drive them on dry pavment above a certain speed or at all. I only planed on using it in the mud and now the snow as my parents moved to the high country where the snow is around. I will do this and post the end result with video. Also I had not considered using a belt driven system because when the mud gets in between the belt/pully it will cause the belt to slip or bust. I am not to worried about wheel speed (front vs Rear) because they are not connected and there is no drive shafts to bust :) Because the front is independent of the rear, wheel spin front vs rear should not be a factor. Now if the rear wheels where delivering the power to the front then I would have to firgure gearing etc.. Sence they are independent no worries.

I think there was a question about throttle control. I would mount the throttle to the handle bars on the other side so I would have a throttle on both sides of the bars. Then I could throttle as needed. That way I would not over rev the tech to death.

Just thinking, how would I use an electric motor in the mud or snow when it will be exposde to the elements? If it was mounted near the wheel then it would be over come with debris. Atleast witht he tech up top on the rack some of the debris will stay off espically with the front fender.

What are the thoughts on what I said above? All wrong? Oh and when I was not mudding or snowing I would rmove the tech :)

Randy_Lahey
02-07-2009, 12:47 PM
heres one way to do it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CaMF7rTTg

Custom200
02-07-2009, 08:08 PM
That seems like a cool way to do it but trying that on a trike would bring another possibly bigger set of problems.

TrailerRider
02-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I have not forgot about this. I have a few more projects I am trying to get finished up so I can take this on. LIke said before I will have video and pics of it.

hondahaulic
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
wow, that looks like a great mechanical setup to do that.

That seems like a cool way to do it but trying
that on a trike would bring another possibly bigger set of problems.
Im curious, what is the bigger set of problems your talking about? So far it seems to me this would be the best and cleanest way so far.

hondahaulic
02-10-2009, 02:34 AM
The more I think about an awd trike the cooler it sounds. Trikes get stuck because they bottom out, along with 2wd and 4wd quads. But now imagine an awd trike with a big meaty V tread tire in the front. As that big tire would spin in mud, the mud gets pushed to the left and right side of that tire because of the specialy designed tread channels in the tire. Then your creating a small trench that goes under the entire skid of the trike as you drive forward, and that will keep the trike skid from bottoming out. The mud that got pushed to the outsides of that trench would then give the back tires high spots to ride on. This would also help the trike from sinking and bottoming out.

Anybody follow what im saying? It sounds beautiful to me in theory and might prove to work well in the right conditions. Ive got a 200es that seems like the perfect guinie pig, 25" tires stock with low range and reverse. Ive already got a winch on the front of it too. (see my pic). If I did it I would do a mechanical setup driven with the stock engine. If im way out of wack with this idea, its up to you guys to stop me before i fire up the welder.

Autophysn
02-10-2009, 05:54 AM
I follow what your saying, and yes, in theory you do sound like it would make sense. I just think it may be a visual nightmare when done. The hydraulic thing looked cool, and would allow you to turn the wheel, I don't know. Keep it posting, I would like to see an attempt on this matter.

I will be your side-line fan cheering you on :beer:

Bryan Raffa
02-10-2009, 10:49 PM
give you a idea:naughty:

fabiodriven
02-11-2009, 12:20 AM
That seems like a cool way to do it but trying that on a trike would bring another possibly bigger set of problems.

That thing looks like a mechanical nightmare. Looks good nice 'n shiny in a shop, but throw some torque and mud at it, forget about it.

hondahaulic
02-11-2009, 12:25 AM
That thing looks like a mechanical nightmare. Looks good nice 'n shiny in a shop, but throw some torque and mud at it, forget about it.

I agree about it being pretty cluttered. way too many chains and countershafts. I do really like the idea of how that U joint is used though.

Cottonwood
02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I would like to see this done as well, sounds pretty cool, and great for the right situations!

cr480r
02-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Imo the only way to to go is a hydraulic or electric motor chain driven to the front wheel with a one way hub so it freewheels at speed or when coming out of a wheelie... gear the front wheel for like 8-10mph since it wont help at higher speeds.. I can only see it working well in nasty mud or snow.. or cresting a steep hill when standing up leaning over the bars... anywhere else and the front wheel should be up in air anyways...lol