PDA

View Full Version : new project

Boltman
03-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Hello all:

I have recently been approved to post here and may get thrown out on my first post.

I'm a 56 y.o. frustrated engineer. It seems I'm always wanting to build something that people can't get their mind around.

I attend chili cook offs in the south (Texas) regularly and some flea markets. I have 6 grandkids soooo I decided why not find a decent 3 wheeler and scavenge the engine tranny and rear end, weld up to a dirt bike frame (light weight) and build bench seats on the back to haul everyone around on!!! I know this sounds crazy, but I have bought a 1985 honda atc250es and a late 70's yamaha 125 enduro bike to bring this monstrosity to life.

It will have air ride suspension (because the weight will vary greatly). If this project works out like I think it will, I would like to make it street legal. In Texas it's illegal to register atv's, so I would like to replace the balloon tires and wheels with a taller street like tire and wheel. I've seen some trailer wheels at Northern Tool that might work, but hopefully you guys could save me some legwork on this. I'm sorry to be so long winded, but I felt these ideas would need some explanation.

Good to be here. I have already learned a lot just reading some of your threads.

Thanks

The Boltman

KLT110
03-23-2008, 01:13 AM
cant wait to see some pics
if your that bored i would do the same thing
im goin to college to be an engineer

edog
03-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Welcome to the board!!!!!!!!!

My Great Grandfather was a engineer-inventor.

WIkid500
03-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the board! I'm in college to be an engineer... Not that means much lol. I hope your project works out well for you. Make sure you post pic's as you work on it. I wish we could register atv's on the roads up here in Wis. I'd ride mt 3 wheeler everywhere.

Boltman
03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm not an engineer by trade, (I sell industrial supplies nuts, bolts hydraulics etc), but my wife calls me a frustrated engineer because I always want to build something thats not really feasible!! I will add pics as I go and hopefully you guys can give me some guidance!!!!!!!!!

Really good to be here. Thanks for the welcome

The Boltman