PDA

View Full Version : Need some help...

R-N-D
03-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Took my quad out about a week ago or so and happen to drown it in water up to my seat. Obviously, it died but got it started for about another 1/2 hour. Since, I've tried to start it up and change my oil but no luck. Battery is good but I don't get anything at all, No juice, nothing. Not sure what it could be.:wondering I thought that letting it dry out a bit may help. Anyone have any suggestions as to what it may be or could be? How about some possible steps that I could take to figure out the problem? Anything you could offer would be quite helpful, seeing that I've gotten nowhere these past few days. Thanks. It's an 02' Yamaha Warrior.

ccdhowell
03-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Did you drain the oil already? If not, drain it, let it sit open for a while, then refill. You'll have to drain and refill several times if it comes out milky white.

Take the plug out and try to turn it over withouth the spark plug.

R-N-D
03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Yup, drained the oil already and I see your point on the milky white. My problem is the fact that there is no juice at all. No lights, no anything. When I hit the start button, there is complete silence. My battery shows a full charge so I'm thinking it must be something electrical. However, I have no idea as to what I should check first, second, or what to check at all. Any clue? Thanks.

smokinwrench
03-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Since you sank it like the titantic! You need to perform other stuff to get it running. Tear apart every electrical connector on the machine and dry them out. Ether works very well and its cheap. I would put some dielectric grease on all electrical connections to prevent future problems. Water will not dissapate from inside those rubber connectors that fast.

R-N-D
03-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Great and thanks. I'll be sure to try that asap. I appreciate the help and I'll be sure to keep ya posted on whether or not this works. Thanks again.

bigreddaddy
04-18-2008, 04:26 AM
So did you get the Warrior running?

R-N-D
04-25-2008, 12:11 AM
To be honest, I haven't had one minute to even check this out yet. I know, what the hell have I been doing? Well, I coach HS baseball and I'm not home until 8 or 9 in the evening (M-F) and double headers on Saturdays and that's my week. So, I've neglected to get anything accomplished as of yet. However, I'm looking to get to it within the next few weeks. Hopefully. Thanks for asking and I'll be sure to put the word out when I do.

SWIGIN
04-25-2008, 01:34 AM
you might have a rusted up mess on your hands by now

id tear the whole bike down and greese it

OldSchoolin86
04-25-2008, 07:52 PM
As long as the engine has oil in it you should be fine as far as major damage goes. Just do like smokin' said and check all the connections. I think you have a fuse near the battery too that could cause this.

R-N-D
04-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Oh yeah, I changed the oil and it definitely has oil in it. It's just the connections that need to be checked as well as the fuses. However, with this crazy weather here and the lack of garage space, I can't even attempt to do anything with it yet. However, it should be very soon and I'll be sure to put an update on asap. Again, I appreciate all of the suggestions and all of your help with this. Not too sure what I would have done otherwise. Thanks.

TravEX
04-28-2008, 11:07 PM
I would bet that it's a fuse too. I would not have let it sit like that long either, I know you're busy, but water could be somewhere that could cause damage.

R-N-D
04-29-2008, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if you are right. I hate to say, if there are other issues that could have been avoided, it's my own damn fault. I'll know better next time that's for sure. I'm just hoping that I get lucky!!

SWIGIN
04-29-2008, 09:57 AM
i ment the chassie should be torn down... not the motor

OldSchoolin86
04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
i ment the chassie should be torn down... not the motor
From water??? If so then mine should have been torn down over 200 times in the last 6 years.

Dirtcrasher
04-29-2008, 06:57 PM
you might have a rusted up mess on your hands by now

id tear the whole bike down and greese it

I agree with SWIGIN 100%

After I sunk the 350X it was too cold to get at everything for about 2 weeks. When I did, there was water trapped in the rear carrier, headset and swinger bearings. AND, if you flip it around, different places in the frame will show rusty water oozing out.

Submersing anything contaminates every possible open area and believe me, my 350X is a tight machine but it still had water everywhere.

I am STILL working on it as we speak :rolleyes:

OldSchoolin86
04-29-2008, 09:28 PM
IDK, if you can't take your machine in some water then maybe it wasn't tight to begin with.

SWIGIN
05-01-2008, 08:36 PM
From water??? If so then mine should have been torn down over 200 times in the last 6 years.

you sank your bike over the seat in water 200 times in 6 years?

dude you need a new gps or something...lol

SWIGIN
05-01-2008, 08:38 PM
IDK, if you can't take your machine in some water then maybe it wasn't tight to begin with.

some water?

dude he sank it.....you might need to reread the first thread

i can tell by your answers that you never sank a bike... and i mean up over the seat.

your way of thinking is the reason it seems everyone cant get there swingarm bolts out.... tear your bikes down more offten..lol

OldSchoolin86
05-02-2008, 08:07 AM
some water?

dude he sank it.....you might need to reread the first thread

i can tell by your answers that you never sank a bike... and i mean up over the seat.

your way of thinking is the reason it seems everyone cant get there swingarm bolts out.... tear your bikes down more offten..lolDude you have zero idea what you are talking about. There's no difference in having half your bike under or all of your bike under, either way your swingarm and a-arms are submerged. I've had my machine blowing bubbles out of the exhaust more times then I can remember (sorry it's not a true "200"). The way you're talking I'm thinking you must be one of these fair weather riders. I bet you're one of these dudes that goes to TF and never rides much because it's muddy .......lol! I know mud and water isn't for everyone but damn, it's not going ruin your ride. They're built for this type of stuff and if you have your sh!t in order you can do it all day long. Of course maintenance is key but I have water up to the seat on my 400 at least a dozen times a year and maybe I take it apart and regrease once every 2 years. Oh and thanks for the concern but don't worry, my swingarm bolt still comes out.

SWIGIN
05-02-2008, 01:25 PM
but why not tear it down and check?

if you tear yours down every 2 years your doing better then most.

mud is fine, its deep water thats bad

iv sank more bikes then i care to remember

OldSchoolin86
05-02-2008, 05:09 PM
but why not tear it down and check?You got me there! :lol:

Why not is a good question and it absolutly wouldn't hurt. I just found the suggestion that he may have done major damage to be a little excessive.

R-N-D
06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to give you a long awaited update. Sorry for the delay but lack of time just set me back so far. Anyhow, worked on the quad and I went straight for the fuse as you guys mentioned. However, I also decided to open and clean out all of the contacts too. Put the battery back in and it fired up instantly. YES!!!! Just in time to bring it to the Badlands next week and to TrikeFest. Bringing both the trike and the quad. Everything looks good and I want to put a HUGE Thank you out there to each of you had had given me some advice. It worked like a charm. I appreciate the help and I hope to see some of you next week at TF. Thanks again and I'm deeply indebted to you all.

super90
06-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Same thing happened to me a few days ago. sunk my yfz and was stumped. too bad I didnt have a working computer then.