PDA

View Full Version : Future collectable cars

Groundworx
04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I heard an interesting topic on the Barrett-Jackson coverage on Speed the other night. What cars of today do you think will be future collectables? Thier answer was Porche, Ferrari, ect. So I ask this:

What cars of today do you think will be future collectors? Not exotics. We all know that a lot of Corvettes, Vipers, Lambos, Ferraris, ect. will always have a strong resale. I say from the 80's - present. Normal cars that you could see on the street at any given time. Do you think the 2002 F-body (Camaro, Firebird, T/A) will be future collectors like the 67-69 models? How about the IROC-Zs from the mid 80's. What about the Mustangs, Lightnings? Any mopars? The stealth perhaps? How about some of the foriegn rides? Will the S2000, RX-7, Supras be worth big $$ in 20 years?

Post what you think. There is really no right or wrong answer here. Just opionions and predictions. We won't know if any of these predictions will be accurate for at least 15-20 years...

Dirtcrasher
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Honestly, I think everything made now for under 50K is just gonna become scrap.

We truly don't build ANYTHING of quality anymore. Those machines were overbuilt and well built for there time. Now everything is about cheap cheap cheap...

I only see the big dollar auto's built in the last couple of decades being worth saving.....
Aside from maybe a limited edition Saleen or something similar.....

Nothing is "classic" anymore.

300rman
04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
the lightnings will surely become a future "classic"
i find hardcore chevy guys say that they would like a lightning, SO........

firehart
04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I need to go find a Yugo.

Groundworx
04-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I relly think the Lightnings will. I wish Chevy would have put out a truck that really would compete with the Lightning. I was never really inpressed with the 454SS and newer SS doesn't have the HP that the newer Supercharged Lightings have. What about the Harley Davidson edition F-150s? The SRT-10?

evand
04-02-2008, 10:52 PM
im with dirt crasher, no ones makes a car that will last 20+ years any more, i think the lightining and the srt10 will be around for a wile. maybe the new challenger if it turns out to be what ma mopar sais it is.

othe then that there all junk if you ask me

ill keep driving the real classics

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/moparneck273/dartback.jpg

tbirdscott
04-02-2008, 10:57 PM
1980-1982 thunderbirds, they are getting harder and harder to find.. cause I'm buying them all :p I dont think theyll go huge in value but there are still low mielage 1980 silver anniversary editions out there and they go for a good dollar compared to other models.

Another that will become collectible but not huge dollar are k-car convertibles, especially the turbo models. Theyre pretty neat cars and the 'poor poor mans caddy' of their time.

Those are my two nominations, weird but true (maybe, time will tell)

Scott

Billy Golightly
04-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I think the Dodge SRT-10 will be another collectable in future.

firehart
04-02-2008, 11:38 PM
You know, I got a Chrysler big block powered 73 Winnebago Brave. Maybe it'll be worth enough to buy gas for it.

Jim mac
04-03-2008, 01:22 AM
You have to remember a few things about the old musclecars, tri five chevys, etc. Those cars were built real simple and alot of parts interchanged. So you get a LS-6 chevelle. and pretty much everything but the engine can be stripped from a run of the mill chevelle 300, 38 years later.
Now take a new type muscle cars. How many sensors are in just the engine management system? the emission system. Are they going to be making replacement parts for these cars in 40 years? Sure you can stuff some other drivetrain in it, but then you get the hassles of smogging them.
If I had a crystal ball. Id guess the 86-87 buick grand nationals, monte carlo SS, SS 454 truck, 02 SS camaro, and transam, probably some of the japanese tuner cars, but I couldnt even guess. Jim

Groundworx
04-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Plenty of cars can last 20 years. Some of you guys are missing the point of what I asked. I didn't ask what cars are going to last 20+ years. If you go out tommorow and buy a new car and put it away. Only drive it 500 miles a year. It will still be around in 20 years. I am asking what cars are going to be sought after. For restoration purposes or whatever.

The Grand Nationals will definetly be one. Especially the GNX. The Turbo TAs will too. I believe they are 1989 model pace cars...

400exguy
04-03-2008, 09:22 AM
I often think of this when I see cars go for mad money on B-J. On yahoo a few months back they took a poll of colllectors or something and came up with 10 cars. Hagerty aslo did something like this. I was rather surprised by a few I saw on the list. The Pontiac Soltice and Saturn Sky especially the one with the turbo...cheep convert that the average person can afford. The Smart Car gen 1 of the ones being sold now in the US. Subaru STI but the nex hatchback. Charger Super Bee. Thats all I can remember and I do not necessarly believe what they said. I just wanted to share, here is the website about Hagerty http://classiccars.about.com/b/2008/01/31/are-you-driving-tomorrows-collector-car.htm

brapp
04-03-2008, 10:59 AM
i think the muscle trucks of this era willbe worth soemthign the true moden day hp and torque monsters the powerstrokes the duramax and the cummins yeah baby!!!!!!!!!

3Wheelers4Life
04-03-2008, 04:01 PM
IMO the new "muscle cars", and some trucks will be worth the biggest money.

05 mustang and shellby mustang,
08 challenger
new concept camaro (when and if it comes out),
the new charger

some pretty wild stuff you see on barret jackson. :drool:

Groundworx
04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
IMO the new "muscle cars", and some trucks will be worth the biggest money.

05 mustang and shellby mustang,
08 challenger
new concept camaro (when and if it comes out),
the new charger

some pretty wild stuff you see on barret jackson. :drool:

I agree that the Lightning, SRT-10, and the 454ss will probably be worth the money. But, there really isn't a lot of those running around. I question the new mustangs, camaros, challenger, and chargers. I am sure some of the special package cars will be. Of course the cars that are numbered will probably bring the $$.

Barrett-Jackson is just a bunch of old guys who have too much money. Most of those cars will only bring that money at BJ. Most regular people like me, couldn't afford a moped at BJ. ( I am waiting to see some MINT unrestored trikes to roll accross the stage at BJ:lol: )

Yamada
04-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Toyota MR-2
Honda S2000
Ford Contour SVT
I agree with the Lightning being collectable.

ChrisD
04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
My list of US cars outside of the supercars would be:

CMG Typhoon
GMC Cyclone
Buick Grand National
Early 90's Impala SS
06 + Jeep SRT 8
new Trailblazer SS

x.system
04-04-2008, 12:40 AM
86 IROC only year for 1 specific color
87/89 trans am gta
pontiac firehawk
pontiac fiero gt
grand national
hurst olds 442

Groundworx
04-04-2008, 07:50 AM
I had forgotten about the 94-96 Impala SS. I actually used to have one of those. I thought about the Typhoon and Cyclone. Those are already collectables I think.

i58829
04-06-2008, 10:09 PM
The GN's are worth big time money already, you can't get a GNX for under 50k anymore.

The sport/ss chevy trucks will be worth some

cyclone and typhoon are worth big money for 80's vehicles

lightnings for sure, especially the first gen will be on the rise

my future investment (when we move to Pa in a year and a half) will be either an SLP edition 02 camaro, or a turbo buick.

300rman
04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I agree that the Lightning, SRT-10, and the 454ss will probably be worth the money. But, there really isn't a lot of those running around. )

true, you dont see many lightnings. but everyone i have talked to likes the lightning. i have never heard someone say they didnt like them. and since theres not too many out there, i would venture to say that they are already on their way to collector status.

and most people in this thread agrees about the lightning as well. timeto sell the R and get a SVT lightning! lmao not with how cops patrol anymore........

Trikeaholic
05-16-2008, 11:56 AM
I wonder about this too.

I would think that the mid '80's "rebirth" of cars like the

monte SS
olds 442
might be collectible
there are some obscure late '70's mopars like the aspen/volare R/T's and Roadrunners, also a richard petty edition Aspen or something.

Also, you dont see many mustang cobra 2's running around .

350 IROCs and well preserved 5.0's are cool too but I seriously doubt they will fetch large dollars in the future. certainly not a losing investment by any means but dont expect to retire from buying one now and keeping it for 30 years.

I think the best car for an average guy right now is the late 70's to 81 Trans am or Z28. They can still be bought cheap and in excellent condition command a nice price. These are the generation of cars "30 somethings" and guys in their early 40's saw growing up and said to themselves they would have someday or used to cruise in them in high school. This is the phenomena that cause the 60's musclecar craze, the boomers having the money to spend now on the toys they wanted as kids.

atctim
05-16-2008, 03:33 PM
I would say the Plymouth Prowler - as much of a flop as it was - will be collectible someday!

1BFC
05-16-2008, 03:59 PM
1993.5 to 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo, 6spd.

Serious car and extremely limited production numbers. You can't say one negative thing about the car either. Complete reliability at 2x stock hp. Pretty much all of them put down 400+ at the rear wheels on completely stock components with some minor adjustments by the owner. That equates to approx 475 hp as car manufacturers rate them.

The Goat
05-16-2008, 06:29 PM
beat me to it. those cars are already selling at way above their original retail.

acura nsx's will be another one.

strangely enough...miatas of all things will also be there.

ws6s oh, and the elusive 6 cylinder turbo transam.

umm...eagle talons...original models, I see them being sought after. the run of chevy trucks that started in 2000. by far the cleanest body style chevy ever made.

the new honda civic will be another to go down in history...nice bodystyle with the ability to swap in a k24 to the existing tranny.

possibly the thunderbirds.

A cosworth ford focus..........

Enigma
05-17-2008, 01:30 AM
I never thought about the Lighting being a collectable but you guys are right. My dad has a 2000 as his daily driver, he also an 07 GT 500. Some one said the WRX STi I have to agree and I want to throw out there the 2000 Cobra R.