PDA

View Full Version : Hi Comp Pistons

Bill X_R
06-08-2003, 06:18 PM
What do they get you?
What happens to engine reliability?
Do you need to change gas to higher OCT rating?
Questions, questions, questions...

Mobular
06-08-2003, 09:15 PM
1) bottom end grunt
2) nothing
3)premium above 10.5-1 comp

Bill X_R
06-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Ok what about a pipe and jetting?...Do ineed to do these things also? I hope not...I like the sound the way it is...not mention the the cost$$$$$$

Ace Mon
06-10-2003, 10:48 AM
For crying out loud dude , you have one of the baddest quads out there . Quit rubbing it in the Ace Mons face allready !

Billy Golightly
06-10-2003, 12:06 PM
I've got to disagree a bit with the fact that adding higher compression does not sacrifice reliability. When you go to high compression (Whether it be through decking the head whatever amount, big bore cylinder or adding a high compression piston- 10.5:1-12:1-and even 13:1) Your adding more pressure on the rod then it was designed for. Obviously if you only deck your cylinder head .010 its not going to matter much, but if you get extreme and want to go to something like a 12:1 or 13:1 piston, and deck the head, your looking at very considerable amount of added pressure that the rod has to deal with. I'm not saying that your stock rod will break in half and go flying through the bottom of your case the first time you use it, but it will be significantly weaker compared to stock compression.

TimSr
06-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Ive said it before and Ill say it again. If it were all benefit and no sacrifice, the MFG would just build it that way, because it wouldnt cost any more for the manufacture to simply make a head with a lower base or a piston with a higher dome. They are designed more fax reliability using standard fuel.