PDA

View Full Version : How many here are going to Boycott feebay May 1st and beyond?

Howdy
04-15-2008, 10:21 PM
For those of you who don't know that feebay has put some changes into place that will hurt a lot of sellers and buyers. Here are some of those changes:

Did you know:

BUYERS: will no longer be able to see who is bidding against them? By Ebay making the bidding anonymous, ..you can't tell who that person is or what their background is.
All you see is something like J**L. Could be someone trying to jack up your buying price………think about that

BUYERS: will have to pay more because Ebay is "suggesting" to sellers to offer free shipping. Well now, you wouldn’t want to lose money on your items, so please understand the sellers don't want to either so they will have to incorporate that in the initial selling price. Interestingly enough, Ebay makes more money this way because of the hike in Final Value Fees they collect from the seller………think about that……

BUYERS: will see that the hard to find items will once again be scarce, as more sellers leave the Ebay site for different sites. Think about that………

SELLERS will no longer be able to give your buyers anything but positive feedback? That's right After May 1st sellers can't leave negative or netrual feedback. Buyers can still leave negative or netrual but sellers can't. So If the buyer bounces a check........oh well. If the buyer sends you back an item, and they sent you something fake but have the return slip to prove they sent something back.........oh well. Think about that………..

SELLERS were told "Good News" the picture gallery picture will now be free, and the listing charge went down by $.05 BUT the reserve price fee escalated from $1.00 to $2.00 and the Final Value Fee hiked as much as 66%. (I don't even want to think about that)

SELLERS: Feedback scoring is based on a curve ( DSR ratings ), so even if you have a 4.8 in shipping, that is considered in a negative way by Ebay, but presented to the BUYER as positive. This curve is entered into whether or not your earnings from a sale will be held for the minimum 21 days. That means………Ebay decided you have to ship your items with your own money first.

AND THOSE AREN'T ALL OF THE DETRIMENTAL CHANGES BEING MADE!

Ebay states they will beef up their customer service. They state they will look at the situation if the seller reports it but.....we all know how that works.
Imagine how much efficiency there will be when thousands of complaints come in from sellers.......I'm sure they will get on it right away as their customer service track record has proven so effective in the past(sarcastically said) ...and in the meantime, your sales go down from the bad ratings and you lose the coveted discount that they offer the "good sellers".

Paypal changes for sellers: At their discression ( they pick and choose: who, when, why ), they will now Hold your money's ( payment ) from a buyer for 21 days unless you have proof of delivery and or the buyer leaves you + feedback. Yes, they expect you to pay the shipping cost out of your own pocket before you get any money. This is basically you shipping the item to the buyer and then once they get the item you get the money. This scares me a lot. Look what TRR, and a few other have done here. Plus Paypal just updated their user agreement and they can freeze your account for 180 days and fine you $2500 ( something like that ) at their will.

feebay no longer cares about the "Little" sellers. What they forget is these little sellers are also BUYERS. When screw a seller they also screw a buyer. Not a smart move, IMO.

If you want to find out more about what is going on, then go to www.google.com and search "boycott ebay".

Thousands of users are boycotting and or leaving ebay completely. I know of a couple mega Power sellers that have completely closed shop, and a whole bunch of smaller sellers that started the boycott already. I was going to list a bunch of stuff on ebay, but instead I decided to explore other selling options before I / we do anything. Right now I / we are pretty much limiting selling to local sales.

I personally will be boycotting ebay Buying and selling until they at least reverse the paypal and the feedback changes. I don't like the higher fee's, but those I can try to deal with.

I'm not telling anyone to Boycott, or to stay on Feebay. I'm mearly putting out the info and asking if anyone else from here will be boycotting.

Howdy

300rman
04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
it depends. if the market takes a plunge, i wont use it anymore. i use it for Simplicity, to save money, and to find cool stuff.

SYKO
04-16-2008, 12:28 AM
it will probably work as well as that truckers strike did

I say.... can 20 ants yelling in a ant hill be heard?

hell no..... I poured gas on those bytches and their on fire!
I will keep using ebay but will just be chaning HOW I use it.

Threes company
04-16-2008, 01:01 PM
cant say im exactly boycotting ebay Howdy.... but i will say i have already turned to other sites such as craigs list, etc lately and with good results. unfortunately ebay seems to be the only way to turn if there is a part that is extremely tough to find and the forum here or other sites don't pan out.

mike from long island
04-16-2008, 05:05 PM
This is good to know.I have been trying to just sell off all the BS parts in all the milk crates.I better get my butt in gear.I may definitly do less on ebay sales wise.But will still purchase.I have seen shipping go threw the roof already on parts.Then,when I state $20 to ship a set of rear fenders,A big red warning comes up!!! You are charging tooo much for shipping.And we all know it costs a lot to ship big plastic fenders!!! It suxs big time what they are doing.I think I might do away with paypal as well. Hold my money will you.
I have always gotten tracking #'s for every package I send.Sometimes I even pay for them.It was just a way for me too know the package arrived. I have had some packages get damaged too.And returned to me.Parts were missing and what not.What can I do but give a refund.I never get insurance.That is were a few of my negs came from.People think I just didnt have the item or what not.O well.

Time to start hitting the pipe and go on a shooting spree in the name of EVILBAY!!!! :mad: :twisted: :mad:

hublake
04-16-2008, 05:24 PM
What are some sites to look for items other than Craig's List?

hrc200x
04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
66% final value fee? What is it now? If thats the case they'd be getting more out of the sale than the seller. Then the rest of the sellers profits get taken when the buyer pays with paypal. That 66% can't apply to small items can it? Maybe just large stuff like realestate and the Dukes of Hazard car.

I can sort of see why they are offering free shipping. I've seen an item that is worth $100 been listed BIN for $25 and a $75 shipping charge when it weighs less than 5 pounds, they are probably trying to make up for lost profit, plus make it so people can't do that.

i58829
04-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Hmm well i have noticed that in common searches such as '350x' or 'tecate' have been turning up about 60% of the results it was before the holidays. I guess a lot of people are getting fed up.

I personally sold 318.00 worth of stuff and after paying ebay and paypal i withdrew 257.00 plus i had already paid to ship the 6 or 7 items. Basically i got a bit over 100 bucks for stuff that was worth more, and i had to deal with the PITA of ebay, the questions, shipping, and whatever else. I hope they liked my 61.00 because i haven't sold anything since. That was back in Nov. craigslist and forums are the only places i advertise now. Better people to deal with anyway, i find most buyers think ebay is wal-mart and they will have the item in 2 days, TC...

Howdy
04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far!! I do not look down on anyones choice to continue using or to boycott. To each their own.

Mike, I hate to tell you this, BUT the fee's have already been put into place ( Feb 2008 ). So your selling cost are already higher.

66% final value fee? What is it now? If thats the case they'd be getting more out of the sale than the seller. Then the rest of the sellers profits get taken when the buyer pays with paypal. That 66% can't apply to small items can it? Maybe just large stuff like realestate and the Dukes of Hazard car.

I can sort of see why they are offering free shipping. I've seen an item that is worth $100 been listed BIN for $25 and a $75 shipping charge when it weighs less than 5 pounds, they are probably trying to make up for lost profit, plus make it so people can't do that.

Check out these links for more NEW Fee info:
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?messageID=2009083924&forumID=143&x

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/basic/ ( scroll down to the final valuation fees )

Hmm well i have noticed that in common searches such as '350x' or 'tecate' have been turning up about 60% of the results it was before the holidays. I guess a lot of people are getting fed up.

You can probably thank feebays search feature "Best Match" for some of this. There are some ways around it, but my understanding is that it is now the default search for everyone. Check out this link: http://www.auctioninsights.info/decoding-ebays-best-match.html

There is a lot infomation out there about the changes and the effects it is having on buyers and sellers. I have done many google searches and have found more info than I have time to read.

Howdy

firehart
04-16-2008, 11:05 PM
I've been using craigslist alot more now too. But man, its sure full of scammers.

mike from long island
04-17-2008, 07:24 AM
I've been using craigslist alot more now too. But man, its sure full of scammers.

Scammers and the people who want everything and never show up!! return emails!!! MAke crazy low ball offers!! Craigslist is free but comes at a cost of headaches I feel.I do use them,But very limited and I never include any phone #'s or email address.This way I can just recieve emails threw them.

But I do love the scammers." I like/want to buy your Motorcycle.(selling an atc) Can you send me all your personal information so I can get your identity!!" If they worded it better they might have a chance.:naughty: But they seem so stupid and I guess they are banking on someone being a little stupider!!:lol: :lol:

And Howdy thanks for ruining my morning.I hadnt realized I was taking it up the tailpipe already!:beer I guess Ill go work my butt of more now for the taxes I owe.At least I knew I was getting screwed with the government.But not my freind and neighbor EVILBAY!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mike from long island
04-17-2008, 07:32 AM
I just read about how the 66% increase came about.I thought I was good in math.I feel dumber already.But I see what is going on.And I really cant believe they want us to include shipping with the price.Whoever said they can make more from us hit the nail dead center. They already get that money in paypal when a buyer pays.So really they will get paid twice!!!That has to be a conflick of interest somehow.

I guess what all these changes come down to is this. If you are a honest ebayer seller who always comes threw and never has a problem or problem or problem or problem,Notice I said problem alot!!. Then you have nothing to fear.But I believe it will cause more problems.People will know they have the seller by the balls.I bet this will cause even more trouble in the long run.

We will have to just sit back and see what happens.Maybe it would have been better for the US governemt to take it over.Again,at least we know we will get the shaft..And with the small refund they are giving.It might be enough to get some lube!!!!!! :welcome:

400exguy
04-17-2008, 08:32 AM
By the looks of the votes, over half of the people dont care and will continue using ebay for both buying and selling. I myself am one of those. I have seen ebay do down hill a lot over the past few years but I will continue to purchase and sell. My activity was slowed for a while but recently it seems like the things I would buy have been at good prices and what not so I have been buying from there a lot over the past 6 months or so.

Billy Golightly
04-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I don't really buy or sell enough to make a difference I don't think, but the new setup and plan they have sucks for sure. Hell I've thought it sucked since about 2004 but I've dealt with it thus far.

ditchmud
04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Not that I am sticking up for ebay but they are just sticking it to the consumer and the little guy like all the other big businesses are. Gas prices, utillities, grocieries, you name it. They jack up the price because they know that even though people will be ticked off and complain in the long run they will still use the service and they will make obscene profits at our expense. The early results of this poll show this to be true. Our society has really turned into a bunch of sheep following each other off to slaughter. BAAAAHHHH!

jenndnn3
04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey HOWDY!, thx for the tips,,

Fees are getting the attention of many company's and consumers,, FINALLY

It cost to deposit your paycheck Automatically, It cost to go to an ATM to withdraw that Dollar, It cost the merchant to use the services of a VISA, Have you all recently looked at the fees added to SAY your phone bill, electric bill, CELL phone (my personal FAV).. The funny thing is you are being charged to save them time, energy and money...:crazy:

My mortgage wants 2% to auto-withdraw my mortgage ( I send a check)

I quit EBAY Several years ago...Because of same reason make $100 lose 1/3 in FEES.. yeoch..

I really hope MANY MANY MORE people start screaming and boycotting all of em..

PS TIP: Save that ATM fee,, go into a grocery store and buy a pack of gum.. ITs cheaper then the fee.. and you get a pack of gum.. Of course always use your own bank but hey thats if your bank isnt in the AREA!

longbedGTs
04-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Thats why I dont sell on eBay anymore, and when I did, never used a "Buy it now". Too many wishful thinkers out there.

300rman
04-23-2008, 08:22 PM
check this site out. seems like an Ebay Copy. hopefully it works out, i am creating an account there as we speak!http://www.wagglepop.com/bin/Auction

ditchmud
04-24-2008, 10:23 AM
just checked that sight and searched honda and nothing came up at all. It might take a while for a new site like that to become usefull.

84honda200s
04-25-2008, 01:09 PM
i stopped using e-gay a while ago. this post has made me really stop using it. thanks for the heads up howdy.

Howdy
04-27-2008, 12:31 PM
More info for those who "think" the changes are a good thing:

http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2008/3/1206374629.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3779829.ece

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y08/m04/i25/s01

Two recent news articles ...

April 25 article from the Guardian.CO.UK

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/apr/25/ebay.boycott

April 25 article from PRWeb Newswire

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/04/prweb889334.htm

A good You tube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24X-SlDmqKI

Howdy

ditchmud
04-28-2008, 07:54 AM
The news about ebay gets worse as I read more about the changes. I can't believe they are going to reward those who leave negative feedback with incentives. Goodluck to any sellers. As for me, I quit, I quit, I quit! Did I mention that I quit? I QUIT!

ditchmud
04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Just had an idea. I sent email to ebay to let them know that I wasn't happy with the changes that they are planning. I also informed them that I will join the boycott against them and no longer use their service. Maybe if more people did this we could get the message across. Just an idea, maybe a futile one I don't know.

hublake
04-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I will continue to buy until I find some place better to get parts from. I have found at times that when I want to buy something and put an WTB in the classifieds I some times find I get no response which I take that no one has what I want. I do not sell anything on ebay.

SeaBass8
05-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Is it me or are the parts drying up on ebay? Used to be 400+ parts when I searched "200x" in eBay Motors. Right now about 250.

Where am I gonna get my parts!!!!!!!!

SeaBass8

Dirtcrasher
05-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Is it me or are the parts drying up on ebay? Used to be 400+ parts when I searched "200x" in eBay Motors. Right now about 250.

Where am I gonna get my parts!!!!!!!!

SeaBass8

Not from me...... :naughty: In your situation, the 86 has so few parts that you better buy em up as soon as they come around. Actually, allot of guys here at 3WW have been parting 86 200X's quite a bit.....

They'll be back, most people only know EBAY.

I don't like selling from them at all anymore - TOO EXPENSIVE!! and it's a ton of work to have auctions and ship the parts.

The ONLY thing I like about PAYPAL is that it protects me as a buyer. It FORCES the seller to allow me to return an item if I'm unhappy.

I've had 3 people screw me in the last few months, it had never happened before and I got my money back.

BUT, as a seller, your screwed!! Anyone can send you back a rock in a box, call it a cylinder head and Paypal just needs a "delivery confirmation" and they give the buyer the $$ back. Pretty dangerous if ya ask me!!

TMERacingPhotos
05-22-2008, 10:39 PM

You know I didn't even think about this. I bet sellers are playing the system by over charging for shipping to avoid eBay fees. That's B.S. and they are causing these problems for everyone else. I've seen the way out of line shipping fees on items. Hell I've sent the sellers a number of e-mails about this issue. Matter of fact I just won on an item that was way over priced for shipping. If the seller doesn't fix the problem as he stated. I'll back out of the deal. When you try and cheat the system everyone gets screwed. So who is really to blame?

:shiftyeyes: