PDA

View Full Version : 250SX miss above 4200 RPM

lynn
04-16-2008, 05:00 AM
Hello:

I am new to this forum, and I do not have a three wheeler. What I do have is a 1985 Honda 250 SX engine installed in an off-road go kart. The engine is running well at low rpm, but has a severe miss starting about 4200 rpm. I have replaced the coil and sparkplug wire which has corrected a miss from idle to 4200 rpm. My question is, does this ignition have a rev limiter? My second question is, does anyone know what the redline is?

Thanks for the help

Tri-ZNate
04-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Hello:

I am new to this forum, and I do not have a three wheeler. What I do have is a 1985 Honda 250 SX engine installed in an off-road go kart. The engine is running well at low rpm, but has a severe miss starting about 4200 rpm. I have replaced the coil and sparkplug wire which has corrected a miss from idle to 4200 rpm. My question is, does this ignition have a rev limiter? My second question is, does anyone know what the redline is?

Thanks for the help

yes it has a rev limiter but 4200rpm is only like 1/2 way. The 350x is 9000rpm so i believe the SX is 8400rpm or so. If you have a miss from 1/2 throttle up most likely its a fuel issue. Are you running a stock carb? whats the setup?

lynn
04-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the Information. The carburetor is stock, however I have not looked inside yet. So I do not know what the Jets or needle position is. I will check the fuel situation and let you know what I find. The miss is not exactly half throttle, I can punch to full throttle and kart accelerates without hesitation or a miss up to 4200RPM

peco250sx
10-25-2008, 03:45 PM
check the fuel/air mixture screw but be careful ajusting it to far one way or the other, usual setting is 2 1/2 turns. (never tighten screw all the way because it can put a groove in the needle) to get the setting turn screw in untill lightly seated then count turns out to 2 1/2