PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Wolverine 4x4

hondaATCman
06-09-2003, 12:16 AM
I am going to get a 2004 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4 sport/utility quad in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone already had one to see what it was like, the good and the bad. I was looking at the Honda Rancher too but I have become impressed with Yamaha lately, I used to be just a Honda man until recently. First of all the Wolvreine had more ground clearance, and way more room to work on the front. The clearance from the tire to fenders was amazing. The front differential also looked alot stronger on the Wolverine than the Rancher and last but not least, the Wolverine looked like a sport and had a Warrior's top end, but at the same time was a utility and was 4x4, a must in West Virginia. The bad?? The only thing I could notice without riding it was that there wasn't a front rack and the handle bars feel a little high and akward, but they can be adjusted.

Wickedfinger
06-11-2003, 04:19 PM
I guy I sometimes ride with brings his '97 Wolverine around and I have a little bit of saddle time on it. His is realy nice and set up for sport type riding. He removed all the racks ('97's came stock with both front and rear - that alone shaved like 40lbs off of her), bolted on a much better flowing and way lighter SuperTrapp full exhaust system and fit it with a Uni-Filter. He also got rid of the stock ape hanger handlebars and bolted on a set of hi bend Renthals and put a set of ALL-Traks on all four rims. I'll tell ya, its a really nice ride and can hang with any sport quad in the woods. I would actually say that it probably out handles a Scrambler in the tight woods (in 4X4), mostly because its smaller and narrower and I can't ever say I've seen one stuck in the mud and they are stone cold reliable. I liked riding it alot. Wolvs have a few drawbacks though - mainly they have a limited top speed of around 50 - 55mph, mostly because of the fixed gearing on the shaft drive. Without pumping alot of cash into the motor and increasing the horsepower by alot, you can't raise it too much. The motor is an ANCIENT 20hp two valve design with a (yuk) auto clutch. Although a pipe and silencer will really wake up the motor, most of the exhaust on the market will not actually raise the horsepower - rather they shift it around to the "south" part of the power band. There is no 2wd/4wd selector on them - they are always in 4x4 - I fealt it was a hard turn in really slow and tight conditions. Now with all that said - I would own one in a minute - I think they're cool.

REDMAN225
06-11-2003, 04:48 PM
i owned one and i loved it. i took the front rack off because i never used it. the only thing i wished it had was in and out 4 wheel drive. i've heard rumors that they might be updating the wolverine. possibly a 450. you could probably get a great deal on a 2003 leftover. good luck. :-D

ATC crazy
06-12-2003, 02:47 PM
I hate full time 4x4...It handles like crap and it slows ya down too much. But the Wolverine is a good manchine, very reliable too.