PDA

View Full Version : Big tires*********updated 6/3/08 pictures added************

ccdhowell
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I gotta say that lately I have expanded my internet life into several different forums; raptor, quadracer, and racing places on the web. But this is the place I feel most at home. I haven't found a group of guys that are easier to talk to or give better advice and just shoot the crap with about my hairbrained ideas. So as my atv pendulum swings toward racing quads, I can never leave my 3wheeled friends and I will never sell or quit riding my Tecate every chance I get. Racing a quad is a blast, but you feel very mortal the day after a hard race; riding a trike like my Tecate makes you feel almost immortal.

Speaking of hairbrained ideas; I raced my new Rappy for the first time this weekend. I know I need to replace the tires so I'm cruising the web looking at good racing tires, Razr 2 and Holeshot GNCC are what I'm looking at most. Anyway, then it hits me, what if I ran the big Holeshot ATRs front and rear; I mean the 25 inch utility racing radials. I may be on to something here. I only cross country race and on the tight woods courses we have the shorter sidewall isn't really an advantage where a taller tire would definately be an advantage in lots of places. I'm thinking the would help in rocks, ruts, mud holes, creek crossings, all sorts of places. I'd run them with Hiper wheels to make them as light as possible. Anyone know a lighter wheel than Hiper? What sprockets would I run with 25" tires front and rear? Wonder if the suspension will articulate to the fullest with such a big tire? I have only 2 weeks and one race experience with my Rappy so throw me your thoughts on the subject. In the meantime, I'm going to mount up the race tires from my former racer, they are Pirelli Race Rail XCs, 22x7-10 and 20x11-10. I like this combo, and it is fairly typical where I race, but I'm looking into untypical to gain an advantage. I have no doubt the Rappy engine will turn the bigger tires well when geared properly.

Thanks,
Chris

BigGreenMachine
04-21-2008, 12:17 PM
I like the idea. Fender clearance might be questionable. It will also make your steering heavier wouldn't it?

OldSchoolin86
04-21-2008, 05:06 PM
WARNING: Heavy opinions will be found in the following post.

First of all, Hypers are a total waste of money. They're a novelty craze and they fall under the category of purchases people make because they see the price and that others are using them so assume they are the best. Most aluminum beadlocks are lighter and Hypers have been known to crack in XC. I've ruined a few inside beads on conventional aluminum wheels but I have yet to unseat a tire so beadlocks have no use on my machine. I went another route due to most bead locks having no extra inner wheel protection. I run ITP Baja's with reinforced rings inside and out and since I've installed them I have not had a problem.

I too was looking for a different route in tires and I found it. The combo is 23" front and 21" rear. Any bigger and handling suffers. Hands down the Razr2 front is the best tire you can get for this type of riding and it comes in 6 ply. There are currently 2 rears being made in 21" that I know of and one is ITP GNCC Holeshots and the other is Kenda Knarly XC's. Both are quality tires. The question that I know needs to be answered at this point is why 21? Because I can say with first hand experience that the handling is better then 22", they're lighter then 22" and they will take you anywhere 22" tires have been. When all your competitors are high centering with their 20" tires you'll skate right past with your 21". I would not go 25" that would make for one ill handling Machine the Razr2 rear has way too much side bite for my taste and most others.

I chose the 23" Razr2's and 21" Karly's on Baja wheels. The combo is all 6 ply and still fairly light. The machine is still nimble and this combo has proven to be a night and day difference from the factory 22 front and 20 rear. The little added ground clearance has proven to be outstanding.

In this pic you can see the difference in hight from my stock 20's to my Knarly 21's.

http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/wata/400ex/newandold.jpg

In these next pics you see how the whole combo looks. Sorry I don't have better pics.

http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/wata/winterEX.jpg
http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/wata/400ex/Cliffs_rear.jpg
http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/wata/400ex/cliffs_jump.jpg

ccdhowell
04-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I agree with the taller tire is better idea; I am well on my way and just exploring how far to go with it. On my quadracer I was running 22" Pirelli Race Rail XC fronts and 22" Kenda Knarly XC rears. I guess it is all about riding style and terrain and it sure seems to me that taller tires are better for the terrain and appear to be better for my riding style. For example a guy on a 800 Can-Am utility quad finished fourth overall. Probably running 25" tires, maybe 26", heavy quad with a big engine sounds allot like my Raptor. Today I ordered a set of Hardkor hubs to allow all my 4/110 wheels to fit, so I'll be running the Kenda rears shortly. Looking to buy a set of wheels to put the Pirellis on the front with. I'd like to keep the stock wheels looking good.

Thanks for the input. I always value your suggestions on XC race matters. I'm gaining experience in XC racing, but it is a hard won thing with this type of racing.

Chris

ccdhowell
06-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Today I put my crazy idea into action. A week ago I ordered A set of Douglas .190 aluminum wheels, 12x8 rears shod with 25x10R12 Maxxis 4speed tires and 12x7 fronts with 25x8R12 Maxxis 4speed tires. They came in today and I couldn't get them on fast enough. Got'em on and took a quick ride around the neighborhood to see how it felt...feels tall, real tall. Looks kinda funny at first, but there seems to be plenty of room for the tires, no rubbing and seems like the Raptor engine will turn these big meats with no trouble at all without even a gear change.

I might me crazy, or I might be on to something...I'll let ya'll know next week; I intend to run these tires/wheels in our race this weekend up in Oklahoma. Supposed to be rocky, hopefully it will work out.

This may be the start of the next big thing in XC racing.

Chris

hondahaulic
06-04-2008, 01:28 AM
i like this idea and i'm really curious as to how it will perform. If your trails will allow the extra width I bet your setup would go great with extended A arms and an axle. You would probably be fine with wheel spacers in the rear for a while if you wanted to see how you liked it.

damageinc2785
06-06-2008, 11:30 PM
i put 22-12-9s and 23 7 10s on my 04 400ex. went down a tooth in the front put a white brothers slip on jetted it and took the air box lid off. i liked it in the winter time. gave me a little ground clearance, the ability to run a crazy tire, and a little more forgiving when hitting stuff covered by snow. i took them off in the spring i felt they were too heavy and unnecessary for the nice weather.

sorry for the bad picture