PDA

View Full Version : Who lives in a easy titling state?

Twilight
04-23-2008, 01:34 AM
Okay, so when I moved out here to WA, I didn't know you needed titles to ride around here, for the past year I have been just riding around anyway, but I was stopped and fined last summer. Was only 45.00, but I wish for it to not happen again.

So does anyone out here live in a state that can title ATV's earlier than 1989? If so please PM me or e-mail twilightofheaven@gmail.com

300rman
04-23-2008, 06:33 PM
about the only thing you can do in most states is to strip the bike down to the frame and grind off all manufacturing ID marks, then present the vehicle as a self-assembled vehicle that conforms to the guidelines that all self-assembled vehicles must follow.
in a state that allows atv's to be tagged and plated, it would be illegal as soon as you drive out of state.
in order to be legal everywhere, you have to present the vehicle as having a homemade frame (rest of the bike shouldnt matter) meaning the current title you have is useless. and you cant say that that frame was titled before, or it wont work. then you just need road-tires, headlight, taillight, brakelight, turn signals, horn, mirrors, and whatever other requirements that vehicles must have.

then after its ready, you have to take it to get inspected at an inspection station (contact your state highway patrol for more info on this), and then you just hope the inspector isnt a ass and says "even though you "made" it, its still a quad.

In that case where inspector was a clown, i would fabricate some fiberglass shroud/fenders that covered more of the front and rear end, making it seem more enclosed around the tires/suspension. jsut to give it the illusion that the machine is not what it really is. after you get it titled, just throw the stock fenders back on it. at that point that its tagged, titled and plated, they cant say nothing.

you have to remember that this whole thing is based on a lie that the frame is made by you. It couldnt hurt to say to the inspector that the frame was designed by you to have better road handling and suspension characteristics than a stock quad frame.

remember that wherever you grind (or use Bondo to fill the stamping) that when its painted it looks like you didnt molest the areas.

Billy Golightly
04-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Modifying any type of vehicles VIN # is highly illegal in all states and carries jail time in quite a few I'm sure.

Most states (like mine) have provisions for ATVs manufactured before a certain date under the premise that since titles werent always required, they didn't come with one from the factory. Some require a certificate of origin to convert into a state title. Some will let you get by with a bill of sale for the purchase price, the date, seller, etc. Check with the local DMV. The bill of sale might need to be notarized or witnessed but getting in touch with the old owner is a heckuva lot easier then tracking down a COO.

300rman
04-23-2008, 08:46 PM
i didnt say it was legal. you could also cut off the frame area with the VIN, make a new one and fab it back up. then you DID modify the frame.

many states wont let you tag and plate a vehicle that comes with a "off road vehicle" title from the manufacturer. if you live in one of those states, that is where you need to: 1. remove the vin from the frame or cover it up with bondo,then you arent modifying the vin, just covering it up. that is a good "loophole" if it ever came to someones attention.
2. you could duplicate the frame of the original vehicle. Would be easier to cut off the vin area and just fab up that section though....

In the Ohio laws, there is NO laws saying a quad or 3 wheeler cannot be used on the road. the only thing screwing you is the "off road" title. and unlike motorcycles, they dont have the enduro/dual sport loophole. so that leads to some tricky paperwork and a little lying to get where you need to be.

also, titling with a self-assembled vehicle would eliminate any "out of state illegalities" because it is still not titled as an ORV. as long as your quad met that states vehicle requirements, you would be a-ok. the 5-0 will definitely try their damn-est to get you for something but they wont be able to. all states requirements should be the same, as it is a federal thing. some may actually require less for certain things, such as enduros or self assembled vehicles. but if you meet DOT standards, you are right as rain.

so far, i have not seen any regulations saying a 4 wheeled vehicle that is straddled (ridden like a motorcycle)while under operation cannot be operated on the road.....

x.system
04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Michigan is an easy state to get a title, you need a bill of sale, make, model, year and vin. I've titled almost every bike I've bought this way. Usually less than $20 and the title comes in the mail in about 7 to 14 days. I normally tell them I bought a frame for $20/$30 and want a title for it, works every time.

300rman
04-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Michigan is an easy state to get a title, you need a bill of sale, make, model, year and vin. I've titled almost every bike I've bought this way. Usually less than $20 and the title comes in the mail in about 7 to 14 days. I normally tell them I bought a frame for $20/$30 and want a title for it, works every time.

a road legal title so you can put a quad on the road type title?
if so, some details on this would be killer. i know a few people that would love to know how to to about doing this.

Twilight
04-24-2008, 12:33 AM
To clarify, I am just needing a title for the machines to be driven offroad.

devilman
04-24-2008, 06:38 AM
so in WA you have to register it to ride it? here in NC you don't have to do anything.

The Goat
04-24-2008, 02:01 PM
slow down 300rman...READ!!!

louisiana is pretty easy i believe. just takes a notarized bill of sale.

300rman
04-24-2008, 04:51 PM
To clarify, I am just needing a title for the machines to be driven offroad.

oh. i dont think you need a "title".

an ORV sticker, and some proof of ownership is all you really need.

The Goat
04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
sadly that varies state by state. you literally don't need anything down here.

oOGoFastOo
04-24-2008, 08:06 PM
oregon isnt too bad you just need a bill of sale signed by the last titled owner, releasing intrest of the machine and they will title it in your name.

ATC-Eric
04-24-2008, 08:42 PM
All you need is a flag to ride here...........................in state parks

Billy Golightly
04-24-2008, 09:02 PM
oh. i dont think you need a "title".

an ORV sticker, and some proof of ownership is all you really need.

Dude, please read the posts. The guy lives in state that requires titling for off-road vehicles, and hes trying to figure out how to get one. Not get a title to make it street legal, and if he didn't need the title he probably wouldn't have gotten the ticket he mentioned in the first post.

Twilight
04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
You was more likely asked to provide registration (like your car/truck when pulled over) , not a title.

john

Nope I was asked for a legal signed title indicating my name as the owner. In either case I wen to the DOL again and they told me I need atleast registration from another state to get a title so that I can ride these around.

xd 200x
04-27-2008, 12:00 AM
OK, in Ohio to get a title for a atv or off road vehicles you just
need either a notarized bill of sale or a signed affidavit of ownership. and an out of state vin inspection. No real biggie no grinding of vins required.

300rman I have no idea who is feeding you your info cause they have no clue what they are talking about And actually there are laws against getting a quad street plated in Ohio. because of the solid rear axle. But in Ohio you can ride a quad with a trail sticker on any secondary roads.
I am in the process of getting my tard plated had to get the off road title first and these are the steps I have been through.

So to sum this up If the bike was physically in Ohio you would not have a problem.

Dirtcrasher
04-27-2008, 10:52 AM
In MASS we need a bill of sale, the VIN#s and have to pat sales tax. Thats all......

Twilight
05-07-2008, 01:43 AM
So is there anyone else that can help?