PDA

View Full Version : Truck problems

dizasterzrfun69
04-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Hey guys i got a 93 f-150 with a 300 C.I.D 4.9L straight 6. today i was cruisin down the road and it started ticking a little bit, i wasnt sure if it was the motor or a screw in the tire so i reved it up. When i reved it up the oil pressure on the factory gauge went all the way towards the Low side, when i let it idle it's right where it needs to be. I came home, checked the oil and it needed a little so i did that and tried again. It still loses all pressure when i rev it up according to the factory gauge. Any ideas on what this is? we are assuming its the oil pump, maybe the screen on the oil pump, or i just seen a website that suggested main bearings :eek: ? thanks guys

Kevin

tecat-z
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
How many miles on the 300? Oil pumps dont generally wear out. Clearance between bearing shells and journals causes pressure drop. Make sure you don't have a faulty sending unit.

dizasterzrfun69
04-28-2008, 09:51 PM
How many miles on the 300? Oil pumps dont generally wear out. Clearance between bearing shells and journals causes pressure drop. Make sure you don't have a faulty sending unit.

right around 205,000. i just realized i had a book for this truck:lol: and it talks about an oil pressure switch, i think i'll try and test that out and see if its good. i'd think if it doesnt tick/knock then i'd be ok to drive it:lol:

Erics350x
04-28-2008, 10:44 PM
sounds like main bearings or the oil pump pick-up is gummed up

pickleweasel_00
04-28-2008, 10:54 PM
best thing to do is install an aftermarket gauge (even if it's a cheap one and only temporary) and see what it reads. The factory gauges seem to only be good for reference and aren't always terribly accurate